Girls b-ball team defeats opponent 100-0

Beerball

From the first article:

There are about 20 girls in the high school. Some on the eight-girl team had never played before and will never play again.

"Most of these girls would never play on any other school in the state," he said. "But they can say they were high school varsity players here. And they can say it with a sense of achievement."

I don't have a problem with the team playing its reserves and back off into a soft zone after the half, but the AP story said they were still running a full-court press and tossing up threes in the 4th Q until they hit 100.

the covenant coach should be punched in the face.

Yup, no need to dig much deeper than that.

spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points

Unreal. And I love how they all express remorse about it after the fact. Friggin' scumbags.

From the first article:

There are about 20 girls in the high school. Some on the eight-girl team had never played before and will never play again.

"Most of these girls would never play on any other school in the state," he said. "But they can say they were high school varsity players here. And they can say it with a sense of achievement."

I don't have a problem with the team playing its reserves and back off into a soft zone after the half, but the AP story said they were still running a full-court press and tossing up threes in the 4th Q until they hit 100.

What a crazy story. What could have possibly been going through the Covenant coach's head? "Yeah, we're really gonna stick it to these learning disabled girls. Don't let up. Keep going for steals and knocking down treys, ladies. This is our day." I'd fire him, personally.

not to pick nits here, but the girls had "learning problems" they weren't learning disabled....no that it matters either way, but....

What a crazy story. What could have possibly been going through the Covenant coach's head? "Yeah, we're really gonna stick it to these learning disabled girls. Don't let up. Keep going for steals and knocking down treys, ladies. This is our day." I'd fire him, personally.

From the first article:

Hard to believe they would not have let up a bit.

Update:

DALLAS - The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper saying he will not apologize “for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, said in The Dallas Morning News online edition that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of coach Micah Grimes’ e-mail disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout “shameful.”

------------------

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail Sunday to the newspaper that he does not agree with his school’s assessment.

“In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,” Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28845363/

The league should make Covenant play a women's college team that can spank them by 100 just to show what it feels like.

PTR

But the thing is, you can't really blame the girls on the team, just the coach. The girls were stuck between a rock and a hard place. They could either disobey their coach or continue to embarass the other team. Especially at the high school level, players ought to do just as their coach tells them to do.

But the thing is, you can't really blame the girls on the team, just the coach. The girls were stuck between a rock and a hard place. They could either disobey their coach or continue to embarass the other team. Especially at the high school level, players ought to do just as their coach tells them to do.

exactly. In my years, between football and basketball I was on both sides of out of hand games. However, nothing this bad. I mean there are instances where there is one team that is vastly superior to another team, like the one game in kansas where the one team dropped 70 in the first quarter. Fortunately, the coaches put in the backups and showed mercy by forcing his players to dive before the end zone.

But I learned from the movies you could disobey the coach and feel good about it.