Academy Award Nominations Announced

KD in CA

Back to our discussion re. the Globes a few weeks ago, now how is Winslett nominated there as "supporting actress" for The Reader, and at the Oscars for best principal actress also for The Reader?

While the producers and distributors can nominate and campaign for their artists to be nominated in specific categories, the Academy voters can put them in the category that they wish. There have been a few examples in the past, like Keisha Castle-Hughes ("Whale Rider"), Susan Sarandon ("Atlantic City"), James Cromwell for "Babe," who campaigned for supporting actor but were nominated for lead. I think the late word around town was that "The Reader" was getting better support as a film and a performance than "Revolutionary Road", so Winslet's supporters and the Academy voters seemed to think she had a better shot for "Reader". It's a little tougher to win two Oscars in the same year I think than Globes.

Yeah, seriously. Eastwood would win Best Actor for me, and Gran Torino would certainly get a nomination.

Get off my lawn.

Easily best movie from what I saw. I have not seen Slumdog yet though. Might this weekend.

Sentor Diane Feinstein , who's office was between the Mayor's and Milk's said the the movie ws a bunch of crap. She said the movie makes it look like Dan White shot them because he hated gays. In actuality, White and Milk were friends and ate lunch together almost every day. White had lost his Board of Supervisor's job and wanted his old position in the Fire Department back. He found out hat milk and Moscone were blocked. That's when he killed both. Feinstein was the first to find Milk and the mayor. She said that she saw Ryan passing her office door in betwen the killings.

Another ho hum year of what the hell was that movie, Last time I went to the movies was to see Charlie Wilson's War in 2007.

It's too bad he didn't take out Pelosi and Feinstein with him.

Mickey Rourke got nominated for "The Wrestler".

He won the Golden Globe. Does he have enough to win an Oscar?

Despite my natural instinct to hate a Mickey Rourke movie about professional wrestling (seriously, how do those two elements combine to make a good movie?), I've heard he gives an absolutely gripping performance.

Despite my natural instinct to hate a Mickey Rourke movie about professional wrestling (seriously, how do those two elements combine to make a good movie?), I've heard he gives an absolutely gripping performance.

It's true. Rourke tore it up as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. The movie itself was okay, but Mickey stole the show. And if you want to see Marissa Tomei naked....

It's true. Rourke tore it up as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. The movie itself was okay, but Mickey stole the show. And if you want to see Marissa Tomei naked....

Really??? Nice. Now just have to get a movie with Eve Mendes the same way :D She looked incredible in "The Spirit" :lol:

Sentor Diane Feinstein , who's office was between the Mayor's and Milk's said the the movie ws a bunch of crap. She said the movie makes it look like Dan White shot them because he hated gays. In actuality, White and Milk were friends and ate lunch together almost every day. White had lost his Board of Supervisor's job and wanted his old position in the Fire Department back. He found out hat milk and Moscone were blocked. That's when he killed both. Feinstein was the first to find Milk and the mayor. She said that she saw Ryan passing her office door in betwen the killings.

Another ho hum year of what the hell was that movie, Last time I went to the movies was to see Charlie Wilson's War in 2007.

That is pretty much the way it went down in the movie as well. I didn't get the impression that White hated guys, but rather that he was a pretty insecure guy.