Kiper's 2009 NFL Mock Draft

I'm not an insider because paying to read things on the internet is insane so it's the first 16 picks only.

1 Detroit Matthew Stafford QB Georgia

2 St. Louis Andre Smith OT Alabama

3 Kansas City Mark Sanchez QB USC

4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech

5 Cleveland Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest

6 Cincinnati Jason Smith OT Baylor

7 Oakland Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri

8 Jacksonville Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

9 Green Bay Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St.

10 San Francisco Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St.

11 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St.

12 Denver B.J. Raji DT Boston College

13 Washington Brian Orakpo DE Texas

14 New Orleans Vontae Davis CB Illinois

15 Houston Everette Brown DE Florida St.

16 San Diego Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3850049

He has us going Pettigrew despite Orakpo, Brown and Raji still on the board.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for FA. Then we can know where we're going with this pick. I'd love the Bills to sign someone like Birk or Brown to cover the center need, then make Suggs a big offer and bring him in. Then we can go DT and TE, 1 and 2.

Suggs plays in an enirely different defense. WHy is this so hard to understand.

I know, he's a 3-4 guy, but he's played OLB and DE in that formation, I really like his ability to rush the passer. He has played down in a three-point stance in the Ravens' scheme. He played DE at Arizona State.

Teams take DEs and make them into OLBs, why not the other way around?

Either way he's running up-field, taking on guards and tackles, rushing the passer. It's all about attacking the pocket/QB, he can do it in a 4-3.

What's so hard to understand that Suggs was used in Baltimore's d primarly as a hands down defensive end? That he was tagged last year as a dend, and plays the majority of the snaps with his hand on the ground? That he played defensive end in college as well. He's a pass rusher. The Bills need a pass rusher. The Bills also at times this year used their defensive ends to cover rb's out of the backfield, in zone drops. Should they decide to do this in the future, wouldn't it make more sense that it Was Suggs covering the rb, and not Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney?

It's not. Playing in an entirely different defense does not entirely rule out the possibility of being excellent in ours also. Why is THIS so hard to understand.

I really like Pettigrew, and think that since he can also block, he is the type of TE that this administration would actually like to pick. Having said that, in that situation, I'd like to see them pick Raji, Mack, Orakpo or Everette Brown, in that order, before Pettigrew. Wouldn't be disappointed with any of these four.

With all those DL on the board no way we take a TE. I say the best pass rushing DL in the first and a TE in Round 3 or 4.

There is not that much drop off. Although Pettigrew is clearly the best TE on the Board. A TE would have to be a Pro bowl lock to take him number 1 and he just is not that highly rated.

Man if Raji is there, I find it hard to believe they pass on him. Too many good defensive players still there for us to take a TE. Granted we need a TE, but DL has to be fixed immediately. I think TE gets addressed 2nd round. Heck maybe even FA.

I'm wit ya.

Here's the rest of round 1.

17 New York Jets Percy Harvin WR Florida

18 Chicago Tyson Jackson DE LSU

19 Tampa Bay Josh Freeman QB Kansas St.

20 Detroit (from Dallas) Rey Maualuga LB USC

21 Philadelphia Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio St.

22 Minnesota Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina

23 New England Brian Cushing LB USC

24 Atlanta Larry English DE/OLB No. Illinois

25 Miami Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Mryland

26 Baltimore D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt

27 Indianapolis Peria Jerry DT Mississippi

28 Philadelphia (from Carolina) Michael Oher OT Mississippi

29 New York Giants James Laurinaitis LB Ohio St.

30 Tennessee Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

31 Arizona LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh

32 Pittsburgh Alex Mack C California

Some info on Raji's Sr. Bowl week:

B.J. Raji isn't a household name -- yet. But the big defensive tackle is dominating every drill, flattening offensive linemen and, in the process, proving to be the best player at the Senior Bowl.

Link

I guess I didn't watch many USC games this year. Is Mark Sanchez really supposed to be that good? Suddenly I notice him right near the top of mock drafts.

He had a really good year but it was only one year in the Pac 10 which has some bad defenses. Also, the track record of USC QBs hasn't really translated well to the NFL (Booty, Leinart, Rob Johnson :lol: ). It's a lot harder to be a QB when you don't have perfect weather, blue chip talent all around, a perfect offensive system, and never get hit.

Personally, I would avoid all USC Qbs like the plague.

Your the one who doesn't understand. Suggs was drafted out of College as a DE. He is more naturally suited to be a 4-3 DE. He is not that good in pass coverage.

I guess I didn't watch many USC games this year. Is Mark Sanchez really supposed to be that good? Suddenly I notice him right near the top of mock drafts.

I believe its more of a lack of options. With McCoy and Bradford returning, Sanchez declared and instantly became the #2 QB on the board.

I believe its more of a lack of options. With McCoy and Bradford returning, Sanchez declared and instantly became the #2 QB on the board.

that is exactly the case here Ram. Smart move by Sanchez though. Boost your payday now instead of rolling the dice next year against the rest of the top talent. Can't say I blame him, but I really don't think he's 1st round material in any other draft but this one.