Possible Kollar replacement

K-Gun10

D-line coach replacement candidate?

By Chris Brown - Posted January 21st, 2009

After doing some digging I haven’t found too many defensive line or assistant defensive line coaches currently working in the league with connections to members of Buffalo’s staff. One that I did find was Oakland defensive tackles coach Don Johnson.

Johnson worked with Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell in Chicago in 2005, where he coached the defensive line with great success. Tommie Harris made the Pro Bowl (2005) during Johnson’s time with the Bears and then rookie Mark Anderson had 12 sacks, while Adewale Ogunleye had 10 (2006).

Johnson is also a New Jersey native, so coming back east closer to his roots could also be a positive.

I’m not saying I know he’s a candidate for the job, but in light of the unstable coaching situation in Oakland, the fact that a defensive line job would be a step up from his current position and that he’d be working under a coordinator with whom he’s worked before, it’s not unreasonable to think he’d at least be a candidate to replace Bill Kollar.

Tags: Bill Kollar, Don Johnson, Perry Fewell

Jeez, why does this always breakdown to a "connection" thing? Find the best guy available and get on with it!

Of course the Bills should be looking at all possibilities, connection or no connection. But, in reality, these jobs often (usually?) go to a guy with some connection to the HC or coordinator. I think K-gun was simply talking about the most likely route, the Bills would take.

Of course the Bills should be looking at all possibilities, connection or no connection. But, in reality, these jobs often (usually?) go to a guy with some connection to the HC or coordinator. I think K-gun was simply talking about the most likely route, the Bills would take.

Very true. In fact, one of my friends as we speak is going down to interview for a position with the Bucs new coach because he used to coach Morris in college. He's never coached in the NFL, only NCAA, but apparently Morris liked his style and likes him personally as well, so he wants to at least bring him in.

If you look at most NFL coaches, you can usually find ties to the subordinate coaches, especially at the D Line, O Line, WR, QB, & QC levels.