I am sooo glad I don't live in a major US city

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and you'll be a bleeding heart liberal in two weeks and a day. :D

You're close. There will be some bleeding liberal hearts in two weeks and a day.

Good for you, Chef. My old stomping grounds. What area you moving to?

We're moving to the SOMA district right off the Embarcadero not far from AT&T park. A fifteen minute walk from the Ferry Building and the best farmer's market that I've seen outside of France.

The world's best restaurants are located where I'm moving to in two weeks. SF.

I love SF, spent approximately a total of 4 months out there on two separate occasions for work over the past few years. Fantastic place with terrific restaurants. Only complaint from a NYC guy was that they all closed so damn early. Town shuts down by 11 PM during the week.

Gotta show my east coast bias here and say NYC has the best restaurants in the world.

You're close. There will be some bleeding liberal hearts in two weeks and a day.

We're moving to the SOMA district right off the Embarcadero not far from AT&T park. A fifteen minute walk from the Ferry Building and the best farmer's market that I've seen outside of France.

My last job in SF was on King street, right across the street from the park.

The market at the Ferry bldg is outstanding. I wish I would have gone there more often.

If you like Thai, Koh Samui and The Monkey, on Brannan, is pretty good...at least it was when I was there.

http://www.kohsamuiandthemonkey.com/

I love SF, spent approximately a total of 4 months out there on two separate occasions for work over the past few years. Fantastic place with terrific restaurants. Only complaint from a NYC guy was that they all closed so damn early. Town shuts down by 11 PM during the week.

Gotta show my east coast bias here and say NYC has the best restaurants in the world.

Hard to argue with NYC restaurants, but there is a much bigger "miss" ratio in New York, IMO. I love the great NYC restaurants, but I found many of the, very expensive, mid town restaurants sub-standard. They seem to be able to exist simply because of expense accounts. Now, that was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

I agree about the hours, though. Your late-night choices in SF are much slimmer than in NYC.

There is a REALLY annoying panhandler about three-four blocks past AT&T park. Most of them are pretty passive but this freaking guy tries to block your way if you pass without paying, like the sidewalk's his own tollway.

You will have to make a visit to See's Candies by far the best chocolate in the USA

Hard to argue with NYC restaurants, but there is a much bigger "miss" ratio in New York, IMO. I love the great NYC restaurants, but I found many of the, very expensive, mid town restaurants sub-standard. They seem to be able to exist simply because of expense accounts. Now, that was 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

I agree about the hours, though. Your late-night choices in SF are much slimmer than in NYC.

Which midtown joints disappointed you? Just curious as I enjoy great restaurants and have tried most of them.

EDIT: In SF I really enjoyed Tadich Grill, Bix, Cornelian Room and Cliff House. John's Grill was mixed, sometimes good and sometimes not. Aqua and that underwater-boat-place in the harbor (forget the name) were disappointments. Suprisingly, the little restaurant at the top of the Mark Hopkins served a terrific Sunday brunch. I know because I lived at that hotel for 4 months.

My last job in SF was on King street, right across the street from the park.

The market at the Ferry bldg is outstanding. I wish I would have gone there more often.

If you like Thai, Koh Samui and The Monkey, on Brannan, is pretty good...at least it was when I was there.

http://www.kohsamuiandthemonkey.com/

Our apartment is actually going to be on Brannan. Every time I've visited SF (which has been often) I try to make it to the market at the ferry building but only get frustrated because you can't take all that food to the hotel to cook. I can't wait to load up and cook a feast.

There is a REALLY annoying panhandler about three-four blocks past AT&T park. Most of them are pretty passive but this freaking guy tries to block your way if you pass without paying, like the sidewalk's his own tollway.

I have a bunch of pennies I can give him.

Which midtown joints disappointed you? Just curious as I enjoy great restaurants and have tried most of them.

Can't say as I remember, anymore. I usually don't remember mediocre restaurants. And, for a while, it was a blur of lunches at mediocre, overpriced, restaurants...I rarely got to be the one picking the place, at that time. IMO, if the place charges $12 for a cup of soup, that better be some damn good soup. :D But, my experience was, some of those places changed hands, quite a bit. I used to think that, if people were actually paying for the food, instead of their companies, the quality would be better, overall.

I can't say I have been terribly disappointed by dinner in NYC, though. Maybe it's just a lunch thing, or maybe since I was having dinner with friends most of the time, I had more input over where we went for dinner.

If it helps, the area I am talking about is the 50's between, let's say, 8th and Park Ave.

My impression of NYC in general, is you can get the best of things, but may have to sort through a lot of mediocre, or even bad, stuff. Pizza, for example. The best is awesome (I love Angelo's on 57th). But, I find that most of the corner slices places aren't very good.

But, I will say that I have rarely had a bad breakfast in NYC.

Welcome to the area Chef Jim. :D I can't say I've been too a lot of restaurants in SF proper. Only out here in the east bay. But two of my favorite places are Fog City Diner and especially Scoma's right by the piers near the Bay Bridge. I'm sure the Dean and others have a much better handle on the dining options in the city. These are two of my favs though.

It's means you're more likely to die in a major city from a terrorist blast or chemical strike then in the country. Especially now because there is no War on Terror and we have replaced "fear with hope" or some BS like that.

For a lot of reasons but, one main one, that's where Obama's first test will take place. Good luck city rats

On behalf of the other 3 million people living here in Chicago, let me warmly extend a hearty F-ck You.

EDIT: In SF I really enjoyed Tadich Grill, Bix, Cornelian Room and Cliff House. John's Grill was mixed, sometimes good and sometimes not. Aqua and that underwater-boat-place in the harbor (forget the name) were disappointments. Suprisingly, the little restaurant at the top of the Mark Hopkins served a terrific Sunday brunch. I know because I lived at that hotel for 4 months.

I like the Tadich Grill a lot. The food isn't outstanding...but it is good, and the place is pretty cool. Bix is good, but I think it is better for cocktails than it is for food...still, a good choice. I never ate at the Cornelian, and when I ate at the Cliff House, many many years ago, it kinda sucked. I'm not surprised that the Mark had a good brunch, but I never had it.

Aqua was one of my ex-girlfriend's favorite restaurants. I thought it was more style, than substance....and overpriced.

While I haven't been there in many many years, one of my favorite restaurants anywhere is a Vietnamese restaurant, Thanh Long. Very pricey, but worth every penny. Sometimes I would bring my own wine, to help cut the cost. (Actually, it really didn't cut the cost, I just got to drink much better wine for the same $$.) It's way out of the way, but if you ever get a chance, I highly recommend the Crab and Tiger Prawns/garlic noodles:

http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/thanhl...s/homepage.html

Gotta throw in my hat for the homer eateries. SF may have top echelon dining, but considering the number of restaurants/sq mile in NY, it's hard to beat - as the criteria is best restaurants.

And Deano, the good restaurants will get a chance to rise over the next year, as expense accounts barely exist on this island anymore.

There was a place on the west side, W58 and 10th Ave, called the Greek Kitchen. The food is so good...I actually still carry the business card with me. I hope they're still open, I'll be in NYC in April and would love to pay them a visit.

The residents of the major US cities are sooo glad than Helmet hair doesn't live there too. See the real reason Helmet is glad he doesn't live in a major US city is because with his puny IQ, he could never keep a job in a major city.

His totally ignorant post may go down as the dumbest in the history of this board, and that's really saying a lot.