Dante Lavelli

KRC

They discussed Lavelli briefly on Sirius this morning. Peter King was saying he was one of the NFL's early deep threats (not to the level of Don Hutson, but still very dangerous). I don't know a whole heck of a lot 'bout his career other than he was Otto Graham's favorite target. They say he was a very nice person also. Rest in peace, Dante.

They discussed Lavelli briefly on Sirius this morning. Peter King was saying he was one of the NFL's early deep threats (not to the level of Don Hutson, but still very dangerous). I don't know a whole heck of a lot 'bout his career other than he was Otto Graham's favorite target. They say he was a very nice person also. Rest in peace, Dante.

Lavelli was a Raymond Berry-type of receiver. Not the fastest guy (Hutson-type), but extremely reliable. Also, he was a hard worker like Berry. He did not take the precision to a Berry level (analyzing the field before the game), but they were both of the same mold as far as putting in the extra effort with the QB to make sure they were both on the same page.

As you mentioned, he was one hell of a guy. Kinda quiet and tough to get him to talk from what I hear from others who have interviewed him. As I mentioned in the first post, he granted me an interview, but I was not able to conduct the interview before his passing. That is something that I will kick myself over. I thought about him last night and said that I needed to call him this weekend to talk to him. I woke up this morning and found out he passed away.

Just think of the offensive fire power of that Cleveland team. Graham at QB. Lavelli and Speedie at end and Motley in the backfield. Holy hell!!

Lavelli was a Raymond Berry-type of receiver. Not the fastest guy (Hutson-type), but extremely reliable. Also, he was a hard worker like Berry. He did not take the precision to a Berry level (analyzing the field before the game), but they were both of the same mold as far as putting in the extra effort with the QB to make sure they were both on the same page.

As you mentioned, he was one hell of a guy. Kinda quiet and tough to get him to talk from what I hear from others who have interviewed him. As I mentioned in the first post, he granted me an interview, but I was not able to conduct the interview before his passing. That is something that I will kick myself over. I thought about him last night and said that I needed to call him this weekend to talk to him. I woke up this morning and found out he passed away.

Just think of the offensive fire power of that Cleveland team. Graham at QB. Lavelli and Speedie at end and Motley in the backfield. Holy hell!!

Not to mention all of the talent up front they had and the defensive talent. But, perhaps the biggest advantage they had was Paul Brown, the best coach pro football has seen.

Not to mention all of the talent up front they had and the defensive talent. But, perhaps the biggest advantage they had was Paul Brown, the best coach pro football has seen.

The lines did extremely well. When you come up to visit (we still need to set a date), I will show you game films from those 1940s Cleveland teams (including games they played against the Buffalo Bills of the AAFC). You can see for yourself how well they played.

In interviewing players from that era, they said that Motley could have made it into the HOF just on his linebacking skills. Lou Saban (yes, that same Lou Saban) also played well on both sides of the ball. Add Groza as your kicker and Brown as your coach, you have a well-oiled machine. The proof was in the 10 straight championship game appearances and seven championships.

Yeah, I knew 'bout Saban's connection to Brown. He's long been considered part of Brown's coaching tree along w/ Parseghian, Shula, Gilman, Tiger Johnson, and his Cincy proteges like Wyche and Walsh (was surprised to read of the "issues" 'tween he and Brown).

Yes, Mac Speedie is a forgotten man in football lore too. Some feel he deserves to be in the Hall. He might have caught more of Graham's passes than Lavelli did. But I guess he left the Browns to play in the CFL and Paul Brown bad mouthed him, almost right out of NFL history.

Yes, Mac Speedie is a forgotten man in football lore too. Some feel he deserves to be in the Hall. He might have caught more of Graham's passes than Lavelli did. But I guess he left the Browns to play in the CFL and Paul Brown bad mouthed him, almost right out of NFL history.

Many years, he did. The problem was the length of the career. He only played seven years. Spec Sanders is the same way. He played at a HOF level, but only for a short time.

With all of the other HOFers on the Browns of that era, Speedie will probably never get in.

Since I was in court all last week, I just wanted to note the following;

I never met Mr. Lavelli, but for a long time, he owned a furniture store called Lavelli's, which was located down the street from my office. He retired and closed the store several years back, but I think he still owned the building it was in.

There's a sports memorabilia shop there now...which I find fitting.

You always knew when he was at the store, because Mr. Lavelli's Cadillac would be parked out front, with the license plates that read, "Mr. Glue". That was for his nickname, "Gluefingers", for his ability to catch any pass thrown within five yards of him.

RIP, Mr. Glue. :thumbsup: