The Science of Back to the Future

/dev/null

Beyond the rotation of the Earth and the orbit around the sun, the solar system orbits the center of the galaxy and the galaxy is moving as well, and so on. In short, if you popped ahead in time one minute you would likely be a million miles from earth in deep space. There is no way we know to determine ones absolute place in the universe.

PTR

Another thing that always bugged me about BttF and other Time Travel movies, is that when they pop back in time it's like they're just dropped right into the middle of the scene with nothing in the way. All the other people, trees, furniture, etc are all strategically positioned so they don't re-materialize inside existing matter

That would probably be a bad thing

Another thing that always bugged me about BttF and other Time Travel movies, is that when they pop back in time it's like they're just dropped right into the middle of the scene with nothing in the way. All the other people, trees, furniture, etc are all strategically positioned so they don't re-materialize inside existing matter

:blush: you would prefer that they re-materialize inside of a giant redwood? That would make one heck of a story.

Beyond the rotation of the Earth and the orbit around the sun, the solar system orbits the center of the galaxy and the galaxy is moving as well, and so on. In short, if you popped ahead in time one minute you would likely be a million miles from earth in deep space. There is no way we know to determine ones absolute place in the universe.

PTR

Just read an article about the Milky Way and we are rocketing around at 450,000 MPH . . . I think it was in Sunday's Buff News . . .