Jim Leonhard

Griff28

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

thing to remember is....a player who does well in one system can stink in another.

Couple of cases in point:

John Parella....looked like a bust here in our 3-4 and wound up having a solid career in the 4-3 in San Diego

Bryce Paup...a monster in the 3-4 but disappeared when we switched to a 4-3

Regarding Leonard, I didn't think he was much more than average in Buffalo...of course that's about the level I'd have placed Ko Simpson at before his injury as well...and obviously below average since coming back.

well we never switched to a 4-3 when bryce was here...we ditched the 3-4 after wade phillips left...when bryce was her 1995 -1997 marv levy was our head coach...bryce left us to go to jacksonville where maybe they played a 4-3? i dont feel like looking it up........go bills in "2012

Rose colored glasses. He's a replaceable cog in a top-3 defense. For God's sake, even Justin Bannan looks good on the Raven's D....

Both players had competition and made their team; you appear to be the one with dark colored glasses - have you every applied for Zebra job? Appears you just do not like either player but fortunately good coaches don't make decisions that way.

All Leonhard does is make plays. He's always around the ball either getting an INT or picking up a fumble or returning a punt. HE did the same stuff for Buffalo even with our crummy front 7. Not sure why he was not resigned. It is stupid. Clearly he's a difference maker.

In the real games, Leonhard was terrible on the Bills. Just terrible. With the exception of a couple INTS on horribly overthrown balls that he was nowhere near any receiver but was close to the ball because it wasn't either. He was pretty decent in some preseason games.

well we never switched to a 4-3 when bryce was here...we ditched the 3-4 after wade phillips left...when bryce was her 1995 -1997 marv levy was our head coach...bryce left us to go to jacksonville where maybe they played a 4-3? i dont feel like looking it up........go bills in "2012

care to make a wager on that one? <_<

Midway through 1997, we lost both starting ILBs in one week to injury...both Spielman and Covington. They made a switch during the week to a 4-3 making John Holocek the starting MLB and inserting Sean Moran in at DT next to Ted Washington. They retained that as the base defense until week 3 of the 1998 season when they felt Sam Cowart was too good to sit the bench

All Leonhard does is make plays. He's always around the ball either getting an INT or picking up a fumble or returning a punt. HE did the same stuff for Buffalo even with our crummy front 7. Not sure why he was not resigned. It is stupid. Clearly he's a difference maker.

Lets not get carried away. In 2007 when Leonhard started 13 games for us he had 2 interceptions, zero forced fumbles, and zero fumble recoveries while the Bills ended the season ranked 29th against the pass.

care to make a wager on that one? <_<

Midway through 1997, we lost both starting ILBs in one week to injury...both Spielman and Covington. They made a switch during the week to a 4-3 making John Holocek the starting MLB and inserting Sean Moran in at DT next to Ted Washington. They retained that as the base defense until week 3 of the 1998 season when they felt Sam Cowart was too good to sit the bench

i wont bet on that,i am sure you are right....but still that is not even a whole season...when you posted you made it sound like bryce sucked in 4-3 after we ditched a 3-4.when in fact you just said we had to abandon it because of injury.also you stated that we went back to the 3-4 the next season after 3 games....so if we switched mid season and played only 3 games the next season it would have been 10 11 games tops we played a 4-3......as far as i know the bills predominately played a 3-4 base defense untill wade phillips left and greg williams came in...........go bills in"2012

In the real games, Leonhard was terrible on the Bills. Just terrible. With the exception of a couple INTS on horribly overthrown balls that he was nowhere near any receiver but was close to the ball because it wasn't either. He was pretty decent in some preseason games.

This may be one of the more ridiculous comments I've seen on this board. How drunk are you at games?

it was 10 games total...the first 8 of which were Bryce's last as a Buffalo Bill. He was a force in the 3-4 rushing the passer from the SOLB position. In the 4-3, he wasn't asked to rush the passer all that much...spent more time in coverage...a definite weakness in his game. Maybe he would've gotten better had he had more time to adapt to the position, but I think the Bills, when his contract came up for renewal, felt they were better off with a LB who was a decent pass rusher who played well in coverage...Sam Rogers

truth be told, when we picked up Jeff Posey from Houston, I wasn't one of the unrealistic fans expecting huge sack numbers because I remembered the different responsibilities that Paup dealt with.

truth be told, when we picked up Jeff Posey from Houston, I wasn't one of the unrealistic fans expecting huge sack numbers because I remembered the different responsibilities that Paup dealt with.

I had low expectations of Posey too, but for a different reason

He signed a couple minutes after the FA period began. Folks round these parts were gushing at what a great move by TD to pick him up so fast. I wondered if Posey was that good, why did he sign the first offer so quickly?

This may be one of the more ridiculous comments I've seen on this board. How drunk are you at games?

He had two INTs in 25 games, both, as I recall, on WAY overthrown passes where he wasnt near the intended receiver and had open fields to run it back, like 20 yards before anyone touched him because no one was near him. He made about 3-4 tackles a game in the games he started, often on receivers who caught balls in front of him or 5-10 yards from the LOS. He was often way late to the ball.

For example, probably his best game, stat wise, came in the first game he started against the Steelers in week two when we and he never stopped anyone. He had an INT on a horrible overthrown pass down the middle and returned it 25 yards or so. He had 5 tackles and two assists. On the seven tackles, he made them 21, 11, 21, 4, 21, 13, and 9 yards down the field. The next game was at the Patriots. he had 3 tackles and 2 assists. The tackles were made 9, 13, 28, 20, and 15 yards downfield. The next game was against the Jets. He had 5 tackles. They were 10, 12, 18, 16, and 28 yards downfield. That was his history. Sorry. I stopped looking after that, but didnt have to because I remember watching him getting killed all the time.

He was on a terrible defensive team, both on the field and on the stat sheet, he forced and recovered no fumbles, defensed three passes in two years and played so well that we didnt even think of resigning him. Tell me more than one play that he made in 13 starting games where he was in perfect position to make the play.

With his performance today and throughout the year - coupled with the fact Buffalo didn't tender him the $972,000 necessary to keep him around, is embarrassing. Of course, we do have the million dollar speed bump - Ko Simpson. Just another example of organizational ineptness.

Yeah...I find it funny that 2 players the Bills let walk because they weren't considered good enough, Bannan and Leonard, somehow are good enough to play on one of the best defenses in football, yet they weren't good enough to play on a sucky defense? How does that work?