Some thoughts re coordinators, Poz and recent drafts

jahnyc

Some observations below:

1. With two coordinators without prior coordinator experience, I am not surprised that the Bills have had difficulties. As many of the newly hired coaches begin filling their staffs, you see a common interest in trying to fill the coordinator positions with fomer head coaches or coordinators with prior experience (such as Linehan, Ryan (from the Raiders), Nolan, Haslett, etc.). I think the lack of experience of our coodinators really has hurt this team over the last number of years.

2. Interesting that some of the articles about Jauron returning to the Bills indicated that he seems to have final say over his coaching staff. I wonder if this provision was in Jauron's contract because of what happened with Wade and his special teams coach.

3. Fewell's post-season comments about Poz have been interesting. He praises him about his smarts but seems to indicate that he is not making enough big plays.

4. I have had the feeling that since TD, the Bills seem to think that they are smarter than other teams when it comes to drafting (and that the draft experts and fans don't get it). This is clearly not the case. Most teams/experts did not have Losman going in the first round, and many pointed out that he had maturity issues. Whitner was an okay pick, but would have been a much better value late in the first round. Ngata should have been the pick. Trading up for McCargo was met with a lot of criticism, most draft experts had him at best as a third round pick. He is a bust. The Bills traded up for Poz, but many teams/experts had David Harris more highly rated and there were concerns that Poz could be a bit too slow to be an impact player. My point is that most of the draft experts have been better at assessing our picks than the the Bills.

5. I wonder how the poor economy will affect the offseason plans of the Bills.

6. I think second WR will be a big need this offseason in free agency, but there is little available this year. I don't think we can expect Hardy to be ready for the regular season and he will miss valuable practice time as he rehabs. Because of this, even when he is ready to return, I doubt he will make much of an impact.

Some observations below:

3. Fewell's post-season comments about Poz have been interesting. He praises him about his smarts but seems to indicate that he is not making enough big plays.

4. I have had the feeling that since TD, the Bills seem to think that they are smarter than other teams when it comes to drafting (and that the draft experts and fans don't get it). This is clearly not the case. Most teams/experts did not have Losman going in the first round, and many pointed out that he had maturity issues. Whitner was an okay pick, but would have been a much better value late in the first round. Ngata should have been the pick. Trading up for McCargo was met with a lot of criticism, most draft experts had him at best as a third round pick. He is a bust. The Bills traded up for Poz, but many teams/experts had David Harris more highly rated and there were concerns that Poz could be a bit too slow to be an impact player. My point is that most of the draft experts have been better at assessing our picks than the the Bills.

Where have you read anything from Fewell? I haven't read any articles with his comments--but I do agree with the statements.

The Bills do think they are smarter but don't prove it. Howmany teams spend so many draft picks on the special teams? Yes we have a good special teams but then we lack depth at other positions. We have many guys that are backups but only contribute to special teams.

Where have you read anything from Fewell? I haven't read any articles with his comments--but I do agree with the statements.

The Bills do think they are smarter but don't prove it. Howmany teams spend so many draft picks on the special teams? Yes we have a good special teams but then we lack depth at other positions. We have many guys that are backups but only contribute to special teams.

I don't think the Bills are on an Island on this one...Every team front office thinks they got the best end of the draft after April. Unfortunately for us with our inexperienced coaching staff on the Offensive and Defensive side, we have not been able to nurture this talent.

1. Agree.

2. Jauron's new contract gives him the power to hire/fire his coahcing staff.

3. Puz is still learning, this was his rookie season really.

4. Drafting is hit and miss, there is no "expert". It is such a crapshoot. Ngata should've been the pick though, yes.

5. Let's hope it doesn't

6. WR isn't a need. TE is. A pass catching TE will make life easier for everyone. Trust me on this.

With two coordinators without prior coordinator experience, I am not surprised that the Bills have had difficulties. As many of the newly hired coaches begin filling their staffs, you see a common interest in trying to fill the coordinator positions with fomer head coaches or coordinators with prior experience (such as Linehan, Ryan (from the Raiders), Nolan, Haslett, etc.). I think the lack of experience of our coodinators really has hurt this team over the last number of years.

The natural progression is for position coaches to become coordinators, and if they're talented enough, HC's. It's unreasonable to expect someone like Schonert to struggle so much in his first season. He spent no less than 11 seasons as a QB coach, but perhaps he doesn't have the aptitude to develop into a good coordinator. It would seem not getting promoted to OC for multiple franchises would be an indicator that he wasn't. Dick Jauron thought otherwise, and probably had few options given his contract status last January.

Fewell is a former defensive position coach, and either can't make average players better, or isn't allowed to by sticking with a system (C2) which has flaws without the proper players at DT, DE, MLB, and SS. I suspect it's a little of both, and these coordinators are not of the quality this HC needs to be successful.