Plane crashes into Hudson River

erynthered

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temperatures at the time of the crash in the city were just about 20 degrees, with the water temperature likely much colder.

I understand that motion and salinity can impact the freezing point of the river, but "much colder" than 20 degrees sounds pretty unlikely.

Sounds good in the story though.

I understand that motion and salinity can impact the freezing point of the river, but "much colder" than 20 degrees sounds pretty unlikely.

Sounds good in the story though.

Was an Airbus 320. Was taking off from La Guardia to Charlotte. Reported to have hit birds on takeoff.Still floating 50 minutes after crash. The ferries responded within 2-3 minutes. Reports now say maybe everyone got off.

Was an Airbus 320. Was taking off from La Guardia to Charlotte. Reported to have hit birds on takeoff.Still floating 50 minutes after crash. The ferries responded within 2-3 minutes. Reports now say maybe everyone got off.

My brother did a lot of work on bird strike issues while in the USAF. It's a big friggin' problem, although unusual to bring down an airliner.

Hell of a "landing" by the pilot to bring it in without breaking up.

And given that NYC relies on ferries and that there is a minimum of at least 15 in the Hudson at any one time, helluva great decision to land tehre and get the passengers to safety immediately.

My brother did a lot of work on bird strike issues while in the USAF. It's a big friggin' problem, although unusual to bring down an airliner.

I've worked in O'Hare and they are always very concerned with any animals around the runways. If peta only knew what they did. But, they said the small birds didn't worry them so much; they'd go right through the engines. But, larger birds like hawks and egrets and the like can be real problem.

Well that explains the sirens in the last 15 minutes. Never a good feeling when they go for so long.

I'm downtown...watching four helicopters hover over the base of the Hudson, every boat took off up the Hudson while I was having lunch. Wondered what happened.

And given that NYC relies on ferries and that there is a minimum of at least 15 in the Hudson at any one time, helluva great decision to land tehre and get the passengers to safety immediately.

Absolutely, kudos to the pilot for bringing them to safety! :thumbsup:

Didn't read the story, but it being the middle of winter, I'd be the water is SUBSTANTIALLY colder than 20°C.

As per other news accounts, water temperature is 40. It's been 20 degrees here for only a day. If this was in Alaska in February, then maybe water temps would approach 20. Otherwise, nowhere close.