DE Comparison

Joe Miner

Three problems with this scenario:

1.) Canty plays DE in a 3-4, unless the Bills plan to switch to that alignment--which there is no indication they will do--it doesn't make sense. He doesn't seem to be a great fit at either DE or DT in a 4-3. Plus, 10 sacks in 64 career games (50 starts) as a pro, never eclipsing 3.5 sacks in a season? I'm not seeing the productivity that would warrant adding him to help the pass rush.

I see no reason a 3-4 end cannot play in a 4-3. Ware was at the line of scrimmage on most plays and one could argue that Dallas used a 4 man front. Canty is 6-5 and 297, I think he could hold the point of attack just fine in a 4-3. I read a nice quote by Parcells about Canty and he felt his sack numbers were lower becasue he played on weak side while Ware was turned lose. I bet Miami signs him if Dallas doesn't. He has always had a high number of pressures which are equally important.

2.) Where do people get the idea that Hargrove is an NFL DE? He had 2 sacks in 22 games with Buffalo, how can you rail on Kelsay for his lack of productivity and in the same post support the signing of a guy that's just as ineffective? He and Kelsay are very similar in productivity. In Hargrove's best season, he had 6 sacks, and 4 of them came in the final 3 weeks of the season. In Kelsay's best season, he had 5 sacks, and 2 came in one game. I'm all for picking up a DE, but let's get one that can play football. If there's not one available in free agency, then draft a few, but there's no point in signing guys that we know cannot play just for the sake of bringing in someone.

Hargrove lived in the backfield and pressured the QB. He played with tremendous energy. I would pick him up as a backup not to replace Kelsay. he could be had for a fair cost. Now Canty I would gladly put in place of Kelsay.

3.) Aaron Curry is a top 5 pick, the Bills pick No. 11, not gonna happen.

Agree though sometimes the ratings shift around after workouts and all star games. Curry is a playmaker.