Building A Religion

Dante

Yeah, and I've got a four-pack of Official Commerative Jones' Barack Obama "Orange You Glad For Change" sitting on my kitchen counte, from the same grocery store that's selling out Barack Obama cupcakes at $2.50 a piece. Some of the merchandising surrounding him is ridiculous.

Could we agree that a grocery store selling Obama cupcakes is equal parts grocery store supporting Obama and grocery store knowing there are excited people (minorities, mostly) willing to buy said cupcakes? To me, it's sort of a chicken v egg scenario. Right?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we agree that a grocery store selling Obama cupcakes is equal parts grocery store supporting Obama and grocery store knowing there are excited people (minorities, mostly) willing to buy said cupcakes? To me, it's sort of a chicken v egg scenario. Right?

No we can't. It's far more that there's a market for this crap. I doubt any business outside of Detroit would make crap they couldn't sell.

And "minorities, mostly"? Virtually everyone I know who's emotionally invested in the Obamauguration is white (and upper-middle class or higher). Most of the minorities I know (of any economic background) look on Obama's presidency with pride, but consider this circus ridiculous.

No we can't. It's far more that there's a market for this crap. I doubt any business outside of Detroit would make crap they couldn't sell.

And "minorities, mostly"? Virtually everyone I know who's emotionally invested in the Obamauguration is white (and upper-middle class or higher). Most of the minorities I know (of any economic background) look on Obama's presidency with pride, but consider this circus ridiculous.

Well, I'm basing the 'minority' claim on my experiences here in Chicago (arguably the epicenter for Obamaphilia), and I'm basing the claim on who I see purchasing/brandishing said merchandise, predominately.

As for the Obama "market" I was inferring from what I was reading here, and in other Obama = Jesus posts on PPP that folks think the mania is equally promoted by merchandisers, not ONLY because there's a market, but also because the merchandisers hold stock in and support the Obamanation. Is that what you disagree with? Do you think they sell it ONLY because they know peeps will buy?

Well, I'm basing the 'minority' claim on my experiences here in Chicago (arguably the epicenter for Obamaphilia), and I'm basing the claim on who I see purchasing/brandishing said merchandise, predominately.

As for the Obama "market" I was inferring from what I was reading here, and in other Obama = Jesus posts on PPP that folks think the mania is equally promoted by merchandisers, not ONLY because there's a market, but also because the merchandisers hold stock in and support the Obamanation. Is that what you disagree with? Do you think they sell it ONLY because they know peeps will buy?

Not "Obamanation", "Obamanauguration".

Actually, the "Obamamania" I see down here correlates far less with minority status than it does with youth. Among every one I know and have seen, the younger someone is (down to voting age, at least), the more likely they are to be emotionally involved with his inauguration.

And generally, I believe retailers sell merchandise only because they know people will buy it. The opposite business model...really doesn't work too well. The last thing I'd expect from Wal-Mart, for example, is support for Obama (anti-union as they are)...but that won't stop them from stocking Obama salt shakers and beach towels if they can make a buck.

Not "Obamanation", "Obamanauguration".

Actually, the "Obamamania" I see down here correlates far less with minority status than it does with youth. Among every one I know and have seen, the younger someone is (down to voting age, at least), the more likely they are to be emotionally involved with his inauguration.

And generally, I believe retailers sell merchandise only because they know people will buy it. The opposite business model...really doesn't work too well. The last thing I'd expect from Wal-Mart, for example, is support for Obama (anti-union as they are)...but that won't stop them from stocking Obama salt shakers and beach towels if they can make a buck.

It's about time that the younger voters in America paid attention and voted on the issues that will affect them. I hope they remain enthusiastic going forward.

By the way, I saw at Wegmans yesterday that they're selling 4 different Obama posters.

Most of the minorities I know (of any economic background) look on Obama's presidency with pride, but consider this circus ridiculous.

As it should be. On one hand the man keeps repeating the talking point that we're in the worst economic times since the Great Depression and that he feels the pain, and yet the example he sets is like watching a NFL player in Canada "making it rain."

As it should be. On one hand the man keeps repeating the talking point that we're in the worst economic times since the Great Depression and that he feels the pain, and yet the example he sets is like watching a NFL player in Canada "making it rain."

And what better way to help the economy before he becomes president than to create and maintain jobs. Construction jobs setting up the inauguration structures, hotel and restaurants being booked to capacity, airlines booking flights, and people selling commemeratives.

And what better way to help the economy before he becomes president than to create and maintain jobs. Construction jobs setting up the inauguration structures, hotel and restaurants being booked to capacity, airlines booking flights, and people selling commemeratives.

Interesting to note that those jobs now count as "jobs", whereas under Bush, low-paying labor like that wasn't "really jobs".

Just for fun, as it relates:

Link

The volunteering I did for the Obama campaign (tough to avoid in Chicago when you run with a theater heavy crowd) was answering letters from kids. They let me take one home and here's how it reads:

Dear Mr. Obama

Before you address the economy problem, you should focus on getting the world to be a cleaner place, because, you see, if we don't have cleaner air, the economy will collapse.

This is how.

1. Our air will get so dirty that we will have to move.
  2. The most likely place we have to move to is Europe.
  3. Europe is already overcrowded, if you add Americans plus other countries that ahve been polluted (especially ones by us, China etc.) Europe's economy will collapse and therefore the whole world will have no economy at all because of global warming.

If that's not what you want then I reccomend to you that you should put a stop to global warming, use Germany as an example, now they really know what they're doing (solar power, recycling, etc).

Your supporter,

---- Age 9

SLC, Utah

p.s. please recycle this letter!

The volunteering I did for the Obama campaign (tough to avoid in Chicago when you run with a theater heavy crowd) was answering letters from kids. They let me take one home and here's how it reads:

Makes more sense than Gore does on the topic.

Personally, we can probably BOTH come up with better ways to spend that money to help the economy without catering to the unbelievably smug, egomaniac at the forefront.

(Enter blzrul, stage left): Oh, yeah? Well Bush is an idiot. (Exit blzrul, stage right...I mean left.)

Interesting to note that those jobs now count as "jobs", whereas under Bush, low-paying labor like that wasn't "really jobs".

It's a shame how lower paying jobs have become the only option for many people over the last few years, but in this economy something is better than nothing to pay the bills. The lastest unemployment rate was over 7%, but the underemployment rate was an additional 6%+, putting the total at over 13%.

Obama, life is bigger

It's bigger than you

And you are not me

The lengths that I will go to

The distance in your eyes

Obama, I've said too much

I set it up

(chorus)

That's me in the corner

That's me in the spotlight, I'm

Losing my religion

Trying to keep up with you