Proven fact being a sports fan is hazardous to your health

BuffaloBill

Careful, sports fans. Eating, sleeping and breathing sports may be hazardous to your health.

A recent survey at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock found that avid sports fans tend to consume more fast food and alcoholic beverages year-round, skip breakfast, and eat fewer vegetables than those who take little interest in football, basketball or other competitive games.

News Link

I figure the Bills fail to play in any competitive games especially when facing the Cheatriots so we're safe. Besides I've cut fast food from my diet, added veggies to my breakfast and consider alcohol to be an essential food group. Does wine count as a fruit?

Um, okay. I think somebody needs to get the University of Arkansas a copy of the rule "Correlation does not imply causation."

It looks like they just sent an e-mail around and did some numbers on the results. Never mind that there is likely some selection bias, but how much of this can be explained by the fact that the sports fans were usually men and the non-fans usually women?

Also, this was conducted of almost all students, who aren't necessarily representative of a larger population. Especially at a big sports school like Arkansas, isn't it pretty likely that people will be sports fans of the Razorbacks and otherwise generally follow a collegiate lifestyle of skipping breakfast, drinking, junk food, and no greens? If you're there and you don't give a crap about sports, you're probably at least slightly out of the mainstream of campus life.