Here's why Pioli went to "small market" Kansas City

VJ91

"On January 24th, 2006, the Chiefs and Royals both signed 25-year leases with Jackson County officials to keep both clubs at the Truman Sports Complex. On April 4th, Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent tax measure that was anticipated to raise $425 million in improvements to the Sports Complex, including $325 for Arrowhead. Those renovation plans also included a new practice facility and office complex for the Chiefs, thanks to contributions from the Hunt family."...

.....taken from link: http://www.kcchiefs.com/history/2000s/

That's how real taxpaying fans keep their NFL franchises content, by voting to foot the bill for a $325 Million face lift for their "Rich Stadium."....Arrowhead, er, New Arrowhead Stadium.

I remember New York State, Erie County & Business Backs the Bills having collective strokes and heart attacks desperately trying to come up with half that amount to remodel our Rich Stadium 10 years ago, to keep the Bills viable in today's NFL. And sure enough 10 years later, those improvements to the Ralph fall flat compared to other cities spending $280 Million to almost $1 Billion dollars on their new or re-modeled palaces......in huge markets or small markets.

Tack on the Chiefs being over $30 Million under the cap, and being told he's in complete charge of football operations, and it's pretty easy to see why Scott Pioli landed in Kansas City. Watch for a Miami-like improvement for them next year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent tax measure

You do realize that Erie County's 8.75% sales tax is already the highest in the nation (outside of major city's like Chicago) compared to Jackson County's 7.0%--soon to be 7.375%??

I don't blame WNY for not ponying up another dime for anything. They've paid more than their share and continue to do so everyday.

All evidence to the contrary. Every small market city except Jacksonville; Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, have all recently spent at least $250 Million Dollars. (check out Indy's $550 Million dollar palace, you think Bill Polian misses Buffalo much?) And oh by the way, Jacksonville's stadium was built in 1995, and recently in 2005, added over $47 Million in improvements to host a Super Bowl.

Hey, I don't really care about all this, I love the Bills and always will. But the combination of Buffalo and Erie County's weak economy and Ralph Wilson forever crying poor while holding onto complete control of his franchise even at 90 years old, makes it impossible for me to be anything but jealous of other small markets like Green Bay and Kansas City, coming up with all that money without so much as a whimper!

All evidence to the contrary. Every small market city except Jacksonville; Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, have all recently spent at least $250 Million Dollars. (check out Indy's $550 Million dollar palace, you think Bill Polian misses Buffalo much?) And oh by the way, Jacksonville's stadium was built in 1995, and recently in 2005, added over $47 Million in improvements to host a Super Bowl.

Hey, I don't really care about all this, I love the Bills and always will. But the combination of Buffalo and Erie County's weak economy and Ralph Wilson forever crying poor while holding onto complete control of his franchise even at 90 years old, makes it impossible for me to be anything but jealous of other small markets like Green Bay and Kansas City, coming up with all that money without so much as a whimper!

Jacksonvilles stadium blows!

Rich Stadium (I prefer to ignore its name) is better

You're looking at it from solely a football standpoint. WNY is taxed like a third world country and it has basically become on because of it.

KC is growing and home to 10 Fortune 100 companies, plus Hallmark, which would be a Fortune 500 company but is privately owned. It is both a transportation and communications hub.

You do realize that Erie County's 8.75% sales tax is already the highest in the nation (outside of major city's like Chicago) compared to Jackson County's 7.0%--soon to be 7.375%??

Of course I realize it. But I also realize that my favorite team is the Buffalo Bills, not the Kansas City Chiefs. Doesn't it piss you off that Scott Pioli is now in charge of them, moving into their new palace, over 30 Million under the cap, soon to hire a new head coach? While we pay our 8.75% sales tax and cheer for a perpetual 7-9-0 team going nowhere with a 90 year old owner, crying poor while he may be worth more the the Hunt family for all we know?

I guess it's just our luck as Bills' fans. No money to afford the best stadiums, and no ownership that cares about winning anymore. :wallbash:

You're looking at it from solely a football standpoint. WNY is taxed like a third world country and it has basically become on because of it.

KC is growing and home to 10 Fortune 100 companies, plus Hallmark, which would be a Fortune 500 company but is privately owned. It is both a transportation and communications hub.

KC sucks.... Buffalo is better...

Of course I realize it. But I also realize that my favorite team is the Buffalo Bills, not the Kansas City Chiefs. Doesn't it piss you off that Scott Pioli is now in charge of them, moving into their new palace, over 30 Million under the cap, soon to hire a new head coach? While we pay our 8.75% sales tax and cheer for a perpetual 7-9-0 team going nowhere with a 90 year old owner, crying poor while he may be worth more the the Hunt family for all we know?

I guess it's just our luck as Bills' fans. No money to afford the best stadiums, and no ownership that cares about winning anymore. :wallbash:

yeah, i'm just gonna blame my parents for raising me in western NY, bastards...

"On January 24th, 2006, the Chiefs and Royals both signed 25-year leases with Jackson County officials to keep both clubs at the Truman Sports Complex. On April 4th, Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent tax measure that was anticipated to raise $425 million in improvements to the Sports Complex, including $325 for Arrowhead. Those renovation plans also included a new practice facility and office complex for the Chiefs, thanks to contributions from the Hunt family."...

That's how real taxpaying fans keep their NFL franchises content, by voting to foot the bill for a $325 Million face lift for their "Rich Stadium."....Arrowhead, er, New Arrowhead Stadium.

I remember New York State, Erie County & Business Backs the Bills having collective strokes and heart attacks desperately trying to come up with half that amount to remodel our Rich Stadium 10 years ago, to keep the Bills viable in today's NFL. And sure enough 10 years later, those improvements to the Ralph fall flat compared to other cities spending $280 Million to almost $1 Billion dollars on their new or re-modeled palaces......in huge markets or small markets.

Tack on the Chiefs being over $30 Million under the cap, and being told he's in complete charge of football operations, and it's pretty easy to see why Scott Pioli landed in Kansas City. Watch for a Miami-like improvement for them next year.

No, here's why he went to KC:

$ and Power.

Would it surprise you to know that both the Royals and the Chiefs agreed to each pay $100 million toward the cost of the improvements? Or that while the taxpayers gave them something, they didn't give them the money to put a roof over both stadiums.

Buffalo could be a transportation hub - if Buffalo's stellar leadership had a clue.

Buffalo sits on one of 2 routes from Toronto to the entire US, but they have been dicking around with how to update the Peace Bridge for 20 years while Windsor/Detroit have exploited the opportunity

Buffalo could be a transportation hub - if Buffalo's stellar leadership had a clue.

Buffalo sits on one of 2 routes from Toronto to the entire US, but they have dicking around with how to update the Peace Bridge for 20 years.

It's incredibly frustrating to watch the same things go on and on.

"On January 24th, 2006, the Chiefs and Royals both signed 25-year leases with Jackson County officials to keep both clubs at the Truman Sports Complex. On April 4th, Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent tax measure that was anticipated to raise $425 million in improvements to the Sports Complex.\

Maybe my math is bad but to raise 425 million from a 3/8 of a cent tax levy it would take sales of around $11.3 trillion dollars. I had no idea the KC economy was that robust.

3/8 of a cent is $.00375 per $1. To get $425 million you have to generate sales of $11,333,000,000. My math skills are a little rusty but is this right?

We acquired a company in KC recently. I was really surprised when I went to visit the city. Strong economy and great atmosphere. Nice mid-sized, mid western city and a great sports town to boot.

Tom Donohoe was a bigger name, with at least as good or better reputation around the league than Scott Pioli, and he chose to come to small market Buffalo not that long ago. Maybe it didn't turn out well but he was a big name and catch at the time, even if he lost out in the Cowher feud.

How much has inflation been in 10 years compounded? "Half that amount" ten years ago was worth a lot more with how inflation has affected building and construction industries.

While we pay our 8.75% sales tax and cheer for a perpetual 7-9-0 team going nowhere with a 90 year old owner, crying poor while he may be worth more the the Hunt family for all we know? :wallbash:

How is it the Bills or Ralph Wilson responsible for 8.75% sales tax in New York?

You are well on the way to justifying yo yourself switching teams.