Should the Bills put less emphasis on Special Teams?

BuffaloBill

The results suggest that the answer is yes

It's been a revolving door of players, yet the results are top notch. I know we have talented returners, but, somebody has to block for them and those folks have come and gone.

Maybe another question would be "Should the Bills put less emphasis on Special Teams when it comes to drafting players?"

How about we draft some honest to goodness slobberknockers?

Maybe another question would be "Should the Bills put less emphasis on Special Teams when it comes to drafting players?"

Answers: yes and yes

Perhaps this is a different way of saying the Bills have donne a very poor job of focusing on either the o- line or d-line in the draft. Generally your special teams aces do not come from either of these groups (although to your earlier point - April did a nice job of using Jason Peters athleticism when he was a ST's regular - maybe April is the most creative thinker on the coaching staff).

Or, how about if we brought in a DC and OC that were as good at coaching up their units as Bobby April is with his?

Because RW is our owner and Dick Jauron has control over who is on his staff. No change to maintain continuity = no change to a winning record and the playoffs.

It's been a revolving door of players, yet the results are top notch. I know we have talented returners, but, somebody has to block for them and those folks have come and gone.

Should we draft some line guys? Yes. In the 6yh and 7th round? How well has that worked for us in the past? Our STs guys are late round picks, and the good line prospects are gone by then. Hell the good everything is gone by then. You still get gems, but they are few and far between, and we get our share of those, and more than our share of undrafted FA success stories.

No, it doesn't hurt us. Our lack of difference makers on offense and defense is what has killed us, and you don't get them in the 6th and 7th.

Billsfreak you miss the point of the questions in the post.

I am very familiar with the 90s teams. I was at three of the four superbowls proudl supporting my team. You maight want to note that the game has changed since then. Therefore it is not inappropriate to ask if the emphasis on ST's is a holdover from that period that causes problems elesewhere.

If this team is going to improve every assumption and standard practice needs to e questioned.

I dont think I missed anything. Any coach will tell you that ST are a third of the game and having been to dozens of practices myself, they don't spend anywhere near a third of the practice on ST's. How has the game changed since Tasker was the ST ace for the Bills? And I mean changes that affect the way you would stock your roster, not just rule changes.