Sundance Film Festival

Dante

Mark Vaderr might be aware of some of these movies. Some look pretty interesting. "The Informers" and "Dead Snow" look like they might be something special. I usually prefer the indie flicks.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/...ndance-2009.php

Interesting stuff. I mostly pay attention to the mainstream movies, but I do keep an eye out on the indie circuit too. Actually I usually wait until the festivals are completed, then look at the indies that get picked up by the studios. It is difficult to spend time on all films at festivals since there are so many of them.

The indy circuit is the key to TRULY enjoying film :unsure:

That is all.

Disagree aj.

I TRULY enjoyed The Dark Knight & Wall-E this past year. They deserve best picture consideration, but that will never happen.

Yes, there are a lot of mainstream movies that are crap, but the indie circuit has it's share of stinkbombs too.

Disagree aj.

I TRULY enjoyed The Dark Knight & Wall-E this past year. They deserve best picture consideration, but that will never happen.

Yes, there are a lot of mainstream movies that are crap, but the indie circuit has it's share of stinkbombs too.

Oh sure, I'm by no means saying mainstream films aren't worth seeing. I watch them all the time and enjoy my share of them. Overall, however, I firmly believe that if someone is really going to enjoy this medium, then they're only getting part of the picture by paying attention to solely mainstream films. The Indy world is rich, artistic, and more accessible than ever before. I think that's why you see many mainstream stars gravitating toward the Indy scene. They take very little money to participate in films that often have better writing and better direction in lieu of a better budget.

Oh sure, I'm by no means saying mainstream films aren't worth seeing. I watch them all the time and enjoy my share of them. Overall, however, I firmly believe that if someone is really going to enjoy this medium, then they're only getting part of the picture by paying attention to solely mainstream films. The Indy world is rich, artistic, and more accessible than ever before. I think that's why you see many mainstream stars gravitating toward the Indy scene. They take very little money to participate in films that often have better writing and better direction in lieu of a better budget.

You make a very fair point. I've seen my share of good indie films, although sometimes I think they are a bit whacked out for my taste. When I see certain movies from the 70's & 80's that the big studios used to finance, I marvel at the fact that none of those movies would be brought by the big studios today, and that's a shame.

Still the independent circuit has benefitted from this greatly.

You make a very fair point. I've seen my share of good indie films, although sometimes I think they are a bit whacked out for my taste. When I see certain movies from the 70's & 80's that the big studios used to finance, I marvel at the fact that none of those movies would be brought by the big studios today, and that's a shame.

Still the independent circuit has benefitted from this greatly.

It's definitely a shame...seems to me that a studio looks over a potential project and basically determines how marketable the fuggin TRAILER can be, and if they like the answer then they green light the project. Today it seems as if it's all about that initial first week (even first weekEND) take. They use the trailer to generate as much interest as they can prior to the release date, hoping that they cover the production budget initially and then hope the thing trails off into the black. As much as I have always loved watching trailers, it's hard not to be cynical when viewing them these days ...and I think that's because of exactly what you said.

One advantage the indie scene has is that it is not constrained by large studio formulas calculated to make a huge profit. It provides a atmosphere of extremes. You can get something thats really different and interesting. Or you can get something that is way out in left field