Obese Woman told to go to KC zoo

bills_fan

So much about being happy to be treated in hopes of finding out one's malady... :wallbash:

She suffers from glutias maximus. :thumbdown:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that 275 is really all that large, at least in regards to fitting in an MRI machine....? Heck, how many football players actually weight less than that?

5' is a bit short for that weight, but still, the story surprised me a bit. Based on this quote, I think it was just the lab tech being an ass:

"The University of Kansas Hospital would not comment on Ragan’s claim, but said its MRI department does not know of any animal MRI in the Kansas City area that would scan a human."

People don't realize how being grotesquely overweight causes problems for hospitals. When I worked at the hospital a 400-500 pound person came in for heart surgery. If you've never seen an operating table they aren't very wide. The person fell off the operating table. It took about 10-15 guys to get him back on the table. Somehow the Jackass survived. If you're extremely obese and have a heart attack it's going to take a lot to get you into the ambulance, out of the ambulance, onto an ER bed, down to the OR, onto an operating table and cut open through all the fat. Losing weight is a good idea for so many reasons.

“They should have machines that fit most everybody,” she said.

Of course, the construction of MRI machines is determined in no small part by the magnetic field strength needed to generate the image. Too big equals poor field equals no image.

So really, she's saying "They should have physics that fits most everybody." That damned "thin people" physics can be so inconvenient...