Obese Woman told to go to KC zoo

bills_fan

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479782,00.html

“I thought, I know I’m big, but I’m not as big as an elephant. And my husband got mad.”

“They should have machines that fit most everybody,” she said.

Perhaps its time she started to consider salads...

It's not her fault, It is the hospital's fault for not having an MRI machine that fits the fattest and roundest 1% of the population.

i just got a call from my doctor today sending me to get an mri...they asked my weight and i was worried, they would advise the same for me....granted i am not "that" big, and getting smaller every day, but for a moment i was worried, and this was before i read this story

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479782,00.html

“I thought, I know I’m big, but I’m not as big as an elephant. And my husband got mad.”

“They should have machines that fit most everybody,” she said.

Perhaps its time she started to consider salads...

So much about being happy to be treated in hopes of finding out one's malady... :beer:

It's not her fault, It is the hospital's fault for not having an MRI machine that fits the fattest and roundest 1% of the population.

And it's not her fault for being in that percentile. It's the fault of the fast food vendors for putting all of the calories in there.

Sounds like it's just a "tough luck" case for this woman:

Medical Imaging in Kansas City North, which has both closed and open MRI machines can typically hold up to 440 pounds, but sometimes a person who weighs less can still be out of luck, according to an MRI technician.

“It depends on how they are built a lot of times and what part of their body we’re scanning,” said technician Sarah Abbott of Medical Imaging. “(The machine) can only be so open before the magnetic field dissipates into the room.”

Am I the only one who doesn't think that 275 is really all that large, at least in regards to fitting in an MRI machine....? Heck, how many football players actually weight less than that?

5' is a bit short for that weight, but still, the story surprised me a bit. Based on this quote, I think it was just the lab tech being an ass:

"The University of Kansas Hospital would not comment on Ragan’s claim, but said its MRI department does not know of any animal MRI in the Kansas City area that would scan a human."

Am I the only one who doesn't think that 275 is really all that large, at least in regards to fitting in an MRI machine....? Heck, how many football players actually weight less than that?

5' is a bit short for that weight, but still, the story surprised me a bit. Based on this quote, I think it was just the lab tech being an ass:

"The University of Kansas Hospital would not comment on Ragan’s claim, but said its MRI department does not know of any animal MRI in the Kansas City area that would scan a human."

I was thinking the same thing (esp. about the NFL players) - but if what the tech who was interviewed says is true - that it depends on the placement and how the person is built - then I could understand a little better.

I'm just speculating that she is probably built like an apple. At least with 275 lb NFL players, you are, most likely, talking at least 6'2"-6'3".

5' tall and 275 is a damn wrecking ball.

I use a guideline that for normal sized guys, 1 extra inch in hgt = about 5 lbs. Now, not only is she far shorter than a avg guy, she's also about 2x the wgt. So for her, each inch is prolly 10-15 lbs. Extrapolate that to the hgt of a normal guy & you're talking about around 400 lbs. That's LARGE. I gotta think that only a small %age of the population exceeds that.

I don't know much about MRI machines or the imaging, but I suspect it's a VERY expensive machine to produce, but has a ltd lifespan & isn't used too often, so ergo it's not practical to make an extra large machine for the very limited cases where one is required.