A Friend Of Mine Died Last Week. 40 Years Old

Steely Dan

He was 40 years old and had a heart attack while driving home because he didn't feel well. He walked a mile every night on his treadmill and was in good shape. When another friend emailed me about his passing I had to read the email about 10 times before it actually sunk in that he really was dead.

I'm going to the wake today and the funeral tomorrow.

My brother said that Dr. Dean Edell has ten symptoms of a heart attack and a guide to how they should be interpreted. I'll see if I can find it later. I believe there are 10 signs and if you have two or more you should go to the doctor.

He had a wife and three young kids, 14, 13 and 11. He was a great guy. Don't think you're overreacting when you think you might be having a heart attack.

:rolleyes:

This is from One Healthy Lifestyle.com

What is Heart Disease?

Heart disease is a term used to refer to several diseases of the heart and circulatory system, including coronary artery disease, heart arrhythmias, heart attack, angina and heart failure. Congenital heart disease affects newborns and is normally the cause of structural defects in the heart. Ischemic heart disease is characterized by chest pain, angina and heart failure. The risk increases for ischemic heart disease as a person gets older.

Symptoms of heart disease include:

* Chest or arm pain or discomfort

* Shortness of breath

* Dizziness or nausea

* Abnormal heartbeat

* Fatigue or unnatural tiredness

Symptoms of heart disease can vary from person to person and differ from man to woman. Watch for symptoms of a heart attack, which include:

* Pain or discomfort in the center of the chest

* Pain in the arms, back, neck, jaw or stomach

* Shortness of breath

* Breaking out in a cold sweat

* Nausea

* Feeling faint or woozy

Symptoms for women are normally less specific, and include fatigue, trouble sleeping, feelings of anxiety, problems breathing and indigestion. Any symptom of heart disease is a reason to call your doctor. Don’t put it off if you suspect you’re having a heart attack. If you’re having a heart attack, chew one aspirin and call 911. Do not attempt to move or drive yourself to the hospital.

Thanks for the note. Seems like I am always losing someone these days.Chin up and take care.

I think our society is set up so that if you go into the hospital for thinking you're having a heart attack and it's a false alarm that you worry people will think you're nuts or a hypochondriac. Better to be a little embarrassed than to leave your family without you.

Anyone who will razz you about such a thing is an A-hole that doesn't deserve your time or respect. Don't make the same mistake my friend did.

I think our society is set up so that if you go into the hospital for thinking you're having a heart attack and it's a false alarm that you worry people will think you're nuts or a hypochondriac. Better to be a little embarrassed than to leave your family without you.

Anyone who will razz you about such a thing is an A-hole that doesn't deserve your time or respect. Don't make the same mistake my friend did.

Neighbor of mine years ago drove himself to the hospital thinking he had a heart attack and it was dismissed as "indigestion" died of a second attack driving home. So the ball is in the doctors court to-but I get your drift.

:rolleyes::lol:

Sorry to hear that... My deepest sympathy. :rolleyes:

If you mind me asking... Were they on high-blood pressure medicine? High cholesterol meds?

Heart Attack Risk-- BMI not a good indicator

Once again - the BMI is shown to be a poor indicator of body composition and health risk.

Weight Not a Good Indicator of Health Risk

It’s no secret that thin people can develop heart-related problems and that fat people often do not. But that millions defy the stereotypes will come as a surprise to many people, Sowers said.

My hobby (geocaching) can involve vigorous hiking if you want to do it. One guy was in his mid 50s and regularly did hikes up 2000 foot hills and also did hiking trips into the Sierras. He was very fit. The Saturday morning after labor Day, he died at home from a massive heart attack. Didn't even make it to the hospital, just keeled over.

He was 40 years old and had a heart attack while driving home because he didn't feel well. He walked a mile every night on his treadmill and was in good shape. When another friend emailed me about his passing I had to read the email about 10 times before it actually sunk in that he really was dead.

My brother said that Dr. Dean Edell has ten symptoms of a heart attack and a guide to how they should be interpreted. I'll see if I can find it later. I believe there are 10 signs and if you have two or more you should go to the doctor.

He had a wife and three young kids, 14, 13 and 11. He was a great guy. Don't think you're overreacting when you think you might be having a heart attack.

Hope you find some memories of joy in this time of saddness. I wish you and you friend's family well.

:rolleyes::lol:

Sorry to hear that... My deepest sympathy. :rolleyes:

If you mind me asking... Were they on high-blood pressure medicine? High cholesterol meds?

Heart Attack Risk-- BMI not a good indicator

Once again - the BMI is shown to be a poor indicator of body composition and health risk.

Weight Not a Good Indicator of Health Risk

It’s no secret that thin people can develop heart-related problems and that fat people often do not. But that millions defy the stereotypes will come as a surprise to many people, Sowers said.

Nope. I believe his father had a heart attack and died Years ago and I used to tell him whenever he didn't feel well that he shouldn't hesitate to call an ambulance but, he'd just kind of blow me off with a "I know what the symptoms of a heart attack are."

The saddest part of this whole thing is that his marriage was a 1950's style marriage. He worked and she took care of the kids. She couldn't even drive. The only job she ever had recently was a part time job at a restaurant. I hope he had more life insurance than what he was provided through work.

It's really a wake up call that I thought I'd share with you.

Hope you find some memories of joy in this time of saddness. I wish you and you friend's family well.

Oh, he was a great guy. A real smartass like I am. We had a lot of fun at work together. I used to bowl with him and razz him because he had a Fred Flintstone type approach to releasing the ball. :rolleyes:

Sorry for your loss. What a young age to have such a thing!

Your point about not warning signs is well taken. I am much much older and I have so many friends who did ignore signes and ended up with serious complications that might have been avoided had they gotten timely attention. Of course that doesn't include those who actually died.

Your friend is in my prayers.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

The same year my dad died from a heart attack, I woke up on Father's Day with terrible chest pains and shortness of breath, and my wife took me to the emergency room. They took me right in and monitored me but didn't think it was a problem. Then I had to do followup testing where I got a heart sonogram and did stress testing, but in the end it was most likely psychological from thinking about my dad. But I still get nervous when I get bad heartburn.

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend at such a young age.

Genetics aside, this can happen often when people put more emphasis on the body exterior rather than their insides.

It does no good to work out like a fiend, have a great body, but live on nutritionaly deficient foods and processed garbage.

Compare your body to a car...you need gasoline, clean oil, clean transmission fluid, brake fluid, radiator fluids etc.

If you don't feed your car correctly and just spend your time polishing the exterior...how long do you think it will run?

Please, please, eat your darned fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, grains etc. every day and quit depending on a daily vitamin

and fast food meals.

Sorry for the rant

The same year my dad died from a heart attack, I woke up on Father's Day with terrible chest pains and shortness of breath, and my wife took me to the emergency room. They took me right in and monitored me but didn't think it was a problem. Then I had to do followup testing where I got a heart sonogram and did stress testing, but in the end it was most likely psychological from thinking about my dad. But I still get nervous when I get bad heartburn.

Go to the website I posted so you can learn more about it and what to look for. Don't think you're a hypochondriac.

When I was 40 my doctor took a baseline for heart rhythm so in case something happened they would have a normal base to compare it with. If your doctor hasn't done this yet you should probably discuss it with him.

I just got back from the wake and there was no parking at the funeral home after I took the last spot. I got there right at 2pm when the first wake started. That wake goes from 2-4 and then there's one 7-9 and I believe the second one may have a bigger turnout due to people being at work.

This should just give you an idea of what an incredible person he was. When I walked by the casket and saw his body laying there I was almost sure he was gonna rise up and go "Ha! I gotcha all!"

I have never seen a woman so distraught as his wife was. I cannot possibly imagine what his wife and children are going through.