Hardy May Be Out most of 2009 Season

box0life

LOL! Hardy won't be out the whole 2009 season. Barring any unforeseen setbacks (see: Brady, Tom), he'll be back practicing in about 6 months, like most world-class athletes. That's the beginning of June and a month and a half before training camp even starts. And he'll be on the PUP list until he's ready to get off of it, meaning at-worst, he's back midway through the season.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. He did nothing this year for a team that was desperate for a #2 WR. Now his knee is being reconstructed. He's toast. Time to find a veteran WR because if we rely on Hardy at all our chances for a playoff run will fizzle.

I think our playoff chances already have fizzled- you will have to wait

personally I think the Bills will be fine going: Evans, Reed, Johnson..then throw in Parrish...Hardy will get back into the mix around game 4 or so maybe...really only need 3 WR's or 4 to play at any given time...especially when u add Lynch and Jackson as possible receiving targets and then add in TE Fine and any new TE we grab this offseason...I don't see Buffalo going with any 4 WR set so they'll be fine till Hardy is ready...only reason I would get a WR in the draft would be to replace Jenkins or Parrish...and they really don't have the luxury of doing that in this years draft...yet...gotta see what they do in FA still...on the Parrish part tho...Id rather see Bills either keep him for his punt return skills or trade him b4 they just let him go in FA( whatever year that is hes a FA)

I've read that Hardy is having surgery on his ACL on Monday with a 6 to 7 month rehabilitation time. That means he misses all offseason workouts, camps and will be basically be useless throughout the preseason. Chances are he will not see any significant playing time next year even if his rehab goes well. It will take him another year before he has any chance to contribute to this team. Based on this news, I think it is imperative that we pick up a solid FA WR this year or draft a true stud receiver. By the time Hardy has any real progression for this team he will be labeled a bust due to this injury and his raw talent that will not have any time to develop in the next year. Remember Yatil Green for the Miami Dolphins? Same thing happened to him.

have you not read that he will be in buffalo for the whole offseason. so he will be training and rehabing @ the stadium w/his teammates and doing a lot of film study so i do not think its as bleak as you make it.

secondly i think steve johnson is going to be a big part of this offense next year anyway. hardy will get his chances in the very least in the red zone. he had his year of learning and adjusting this past year.

I agree. He did nothing this year for a team that was desperate for a #2 WR. Now his knee is being reconstructed. He's toast. Time to find a veteran WR because if we rely on Hardy at all our chances for a playoff run will fizzle.

With out the TD grab in Jacksonville, Buff would be 6-10. So I guess you can say he did something. If you are counting stricky on Hardy becoming a number 2 for the Bills to be a playoff team, then you didnt see the rest of the team play this past season. QB, line play, coaching and LUCK is what is needed for the Bills to make the playoffs.

His route running is bad, he is slow to understand the pro game, it usually takes a year for a player to get back to 100% full physically and mentally from ACL injuries, and he showed no real promise during his first year. Do you really think he is going to be 100% ready by the start of the season? He also may be a step slower then last year which again won't help his cause.

To me, he's useless and will not contribute next year. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

He had 9 receptions in 2008 for 87 yards. That type of production will be hard to replace, but if the surgery and

rehab go well, he comes back on time, hasn't lost a step, gets up to speed by the start of the season, improves his

route running and the Pro game clicks with him mentally, he could have a BREAKOUT year.

Like 17 - 19 catches!

:rolleyes:

He had 9 receptions in 2008 for 87 yards. That type of production will be hard to replace, but if the surgery and

rehab go well, he comes back on time, hasn't lost a step, gets up to speed by the start of the season, improves his

route running and the Pro game clicks with him mentally, he could have a BREAKOUT year.

Like 17 - 19 catches!

:rolleyes:

I am sure you are being sarcastic but Really with the play calling and QB play this past season you need to give Hardy a little break. They need to throw more passes then the Jump ball to Hardy.

I am sure you are being sarcastic but Really with the play calling and QB play this past season you need to give Hardy a little break. They need to throw more passes then the Jump ball to Hardy.

You are correct. I just can't see how any Pro team can draft a guy that high, have such a glaring need at that

position, and not be able to figure out how to get him the ball.

I do agree that Edwards is most likely just as at fault as Hardy, but he did drop a few also.

How does that make sense? If he rehab goes well he should be ready to go by opening day...how exactly will he not be able to contribute? He's had a full season of practice already, it's not like he's going to be a rookie next year and in a new system...

According to "sources", he had a very bad injury. I doubt he will make OTAs/and perhaps miss at least some training camp. Remember McGahee. Even with a good rehab, these injuries can take up to two years. There's no doubt... he will not contribute in '09.

Missing the OTAs, minicamps and training camps are a serious deal, especially with rookies. You hear all the second year players say something to that effect - an extra year in the weight training program and running through those camps...its all very valuable when it comes to reps.

IF (and him missing training camp is a big IF) he does, then 2009 will most likely be a wash. If you don't believe me, see Kevin Everett's second year after his ACL tear. Yeah, he missed his whole rookie season, but he wasn't ready to compete during the second training camp.

Look at John McCargo...yeah he sucked, but some of the reason he sucked was probably because he was injured going into that second training camp.

Look, they need the reps, especially second year players. It's a critical time for their development.

If he misses some serious time this offseason, which serious ACL injuries do, its gonna be a hard road for him to recover and contribute during the season.

His route running is bad, he is slow to understand the pro game, it usually takes a year for a player to get back to 100% full physically and mentally from ACL injuries, and he showed no real promise during his first year. Do you really think he is going to be 100% ready by the start of the season? He also may be a step slower then last year which again won't help his cause.

To me, he's useless and will not contribute next year. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

I totally agree. The guy was useless with two good legs. Now with a bad knee, I would be shocked if he is ready to contribute by opening day 2009. James Hardy looked like he had absolutely no clue on how to get open against NFL defenses. A lot of receivers take time to develop, but the Bills did not have that luxury of having Hardy take his time with understanding the pro game. I blame the organization for not doing enough research on Hardy about how NFL ready he was coming out of Indiana. And than when he came to us, we put no packages in to utilize any strengths he may have.

If Hardy is not going to be ready for 2009, we need another WR and a TE to give Trent or whoever is going to play QB more downfield targets. (The Bills were last in the league in passes thrown over 16 yards in the air according to Mark Gaughn of the Buffalo News.)

According to "sources", he had a very bad injury. I doubt he will make OTAs/and perhaps miss at least some training camp. Remember McGahee. Even with a good rehab, these injuries can take up to two years. There's no doubt... he will not contribute in '09.

What "sources" There hasnt been anything about it