NY State and its congressional caucus will or at least can help to

BuffaloBill

Let’s assume for the sake of this post that Jim Kelly is serious and actually does have the financial backing needed to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo. A huge assumption I know but setting that aside allows me to get to what is really meant to be communicated in this post:

The New York State government and New York’s representatives in Congress will determine whether the Buffalo Bills remain the Buffalo Bills or heaven forbid if they become the Los Angeles Greedy Bastards. Here is why I say this.

The NFL, like other major sports leagues in the US, has been granted a limited antitrust exemption under the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. The NFL further helped its own cause by also being exempted from 501©(6) of the Internal Revenue Code, which is congress speak for – NFL Teams (the team not players nor employees of the teams) do not have to pay income taxes. All the NY caucus in Congress has to do to help keep the Bills in Buffalo is to get support for repealing one or both of these very nice exemptions. (BTW – this is the same law that allows the NFL to black out games that are not sold out).

The Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961

The New York State government is the body that is most likely going to fund any major stadium improvements if the Bills continue to play in the Ralph or to fund the development of a new stadium (pick your location – I learned through my other post that Jimbo’s idea of putting it in Niagara Falls is not a good one). Perhaps Federal infrastructure dollars may somehow be available but they are not likely be forthcoming unless the State antes up the bulk of the needed dollars. It is up to the State of NY to figure out whether it wants to press the NFL to leave the only NY based team in the state. They will likely have to take the carrot approach as there aren’t many sticks available unless the Feds help them to wield a big one (see point above).

Probably more important in the long-term is the fact that the New York State, County and Local governments need to finally wake up to the fact that Upstate NY will not be competitive in its ability to retain, much less attract population unless and until they wake up to the fact that NY is at or near the bottom of the list of states that are considered business friendly. Depends on which list you read as to whether NY is at the bottom or just near the bottom – (the source below has them as #49). I do not care if the best stadium in the world is built for the Bills in downtown Buffalo, they will not remain there long term if the population continues to decline due to a poor economy and perhaps the lifestyle (read weather). I will not get into school systems, infrastructure or all f the other institutions that have to function well to support economic viability.

NY State an abysmal tax situation for businesses

Finally, the State along with the Feds need to recognize that it is the taxpayers that matter not the NFL owners – there are only 32 of them after all. I am sure they contribute to election campaigns quite heartily. Tell me any other business that gets the support the NFL does (other than other sports teams). I will not go so far as to say sports teams must stay in the cities where they are as times and conditions do change. However, given the antitrust exemption, the tax exemption and all of the taxpayer money spent on stadiums or other goodies there should be a better balance with the public trust. Perhaps certain thresholds or conditions should be met before a team can be moved from a city or the league loses its exemptions and the teams lose their public funding.

My thoughts for the day… what are yours?