OT- "Can Buffalo Ever Come Back"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it can. As soon as state leaders in what has been determined the most dysfunctional state legislature in America start putting the people ahead of the campaign contributors and special interests. So I guess the answer is really no.

The state needs major structural overhauls, starting with developing a way to create more functional, effective and cost-efficient regional governments like they have in the south where every is moving too. Example: in South Carolina the counties run the schools, they don't have 40 different districts wastefully managing themselves with 40 superintendents. They have county sheriffs as well, not 4-cop outposts like the Village of Akron. What WNY and NYS does with it's city, town and village government strucuture is downright retarded and embarassing. We operate in a structure based on 1700s disconnect agrarian society.

We need major overhaul of laws such as the Taylor, Wicks, and Triborough, which are exceedingly costly to taxpayers. The Taylor is the union law that basically ensures that we as average public sector taxpayers pay the highest salaries to puboic employees in the country, including the inability to remove such things as hair transplants and breast implant surgeyr form the Buffalo Teachers Contract without negotiation. Does your employer negotiate your health care benefits or does he/she just tell you what you're getting? Proof that the union way of life is long gone? Ask Chevy and Delphi how that works today.

So yeah, once those are fixed we're all set. :lol:

There are too many people living here that don't want to work and make a good living doing it. From welfare benefits to too lenient disability benefits. There are too many entitlement programs that initially were good ideas but have since gone very bad. We've got too many 20 and 30 year old people who don't want to work collecting good money for phantom conditions like depression, mood disorders,etc and other designer psychiatric conditions that can't be measured or verified. Too many attorneys are getting people on disability Social Security who instead should be working. The lazy are truly being rewarded with lots and lots of free money......Think I'll stop now...

Sure it can. As soon as state leaders in what has been determined the most dysfunctional state legislature in America start putting the people ahead of the campaign contributors and special interests. So I guess the answer is really no.

The state needs major structural overhauls, starting with developing a way to create more functional, effective and cost-efficient regional governments like they have in the south where every is moving too. Example: in South Carolina the counties run the schools, they don't have 40 different districts wastefully managing themselves with 40 superintendents. They have county sheriffs as well, not 4-cop outposts like the Village of Akron. What WNY and NYS does with it's city, town and village government strucuture is downright retarded and embarassing. We operate in a structure based on 1700s disconnect agrarian society.

We need major overhaul of laws such as the Taylor, Wicks, and Triborough, which are exceedingly costly to taxpayers. The Taylor is the union law that basically ensures that we as average public sector taxpayers pay the highest salaries to puboic employees in the country, including the inability to remove such things as hair transplants and breast implant surgeyr form the Buffalo Teachers Contract without negotiation. Does your employer negotiate your health care benefits or does he/she just tell you what you're getting? Proof that the union way of life is long gone? Ask Chevy and Delphi how that works today.

So yeah, once those are fixed we're all set. :lol:

If a large oil field is found... So the sad answer is no...

Yall can move down here to Atlanta! Life is wonderful, Taxes are low, housing costs are lower than average, dont need snow tires, more jobs, 6 million people to hang out with. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL teams to root for. Top Restaurants...

Downside? lack of large water bodies.

Dont get me wrong... I LOVE buffalo and its people BUT after 13 years of Atlanta, I couldnt live there again!

i'm a dumbass who was unfortunately born here, moved to Phoenix, Az for 14 years (1977 - 1991) and moved back because it was too hot there. The house I built there on a mountain (Shaw Butte) in 1985 cost me $135,000. Now its worth over $550,000. Now I can't afford the house I built there. Kill me now. Anything I say further please take into consideration that I'm a big dumbass....Truly

This was discussed in depth over at Buffalo Rising a couple months ago when it first came out.

Buffalo can stabilize only if albany takes the shackles off. High taxes & business unfriendly means a slow whirl down the drain...

Buffalo can return to national prominence only following some drastic nationwide change. For instance, massive drought due to climate change means population centers need to move much closer to large bodies of water...that would be an instant rust belt revitalization.

The take away lesson is really to vote the incumbents out of office at every level of city, county, and state government until we get a group of wahoos who want to do more than line their and their chosen constituency's pockets

i'm a dumbass who was unfortunately born here, moved to Phoenix, Az for 14 years (1977 - 1991) and moved back because it was too hot there. The house I built there on a mountain (Shaw Butte) in 1985 cost me $135,000. Now its worth over $550,000. Now I can't afford the house I built there. Kill me now. Anything I say further please take into consideration that I'm a big dumbass....Truly

Ive often had the "urge" to move back. When i have tose "urges" I go back for a visit. The 1st 3 or 4 days are GREAT then reality sets in. it gets boring and depressing. You can only go drinking and eat pizza and wings so much... you get tired of seeing old boarded up buildings and just "old" stuff.

Anyone have any questions about life in Atlanta and what areas are best to live let me know...

Ive often had the "urge" to move back. When i have tose "urges" I go back for a visit. The 1st 3 or 4 days are GREAT then reality sets in. it gets boring and depressing. You can only go drinking and eat pizza and wings so much... you get tired of seeing old boarded up buildings and just "old" stuff.

Anyone have any questions about life in Atlanta and what areas are best to live let me know...

I'll ask some questions about the ATL when I am finally tired of it, but almost 40 years and still going strong and enjoying it. Mmmm, some Duff wings may just be on the menu for dinner... :lol:

Under the usual thinking, Buffalo has a bleak future. But what does Buffalo have a lot of? Fresh water. I seem to recall a story of a major reservoir in Atlanta almost bone dry last summer and the city of the verge of running out of water. Water is going to be a major issue in this century, and places in the South and West are in danger of running out. New York State and the other Great Lakes states need to take steps to insure their water will not be shipped south to prop up growth elsewhere.

Otherwise, all the things in that story are spot on. Yes, industry changed and Buffalo lost its advantage, but all cities face that at one time or another. What really kills Buffalo is corrupt incompetent government, and too much of it. Government at all levels. There is no need for state, county, city, and village police, fire, ambulance, highways depts, etc. other than to make sure Uncle Frank has a job until retirement, when he and Aunt marge will take their fat retirement checks down to Florida.

PTR

This was discussed in depth over at Buffalo Rising a couple months ago when it first came out.

Buffalo can stabilize only if albany takes the shackles off. High taxes & business unfriendly means a slow whirl down the drain...

Buffalo can return to national prominence only following some drastic nationwide change. For instance, massive drought due to climate change means population centers need to move much closer to large bodies of water...that would be an instant rust belt revitalization.

The take away lesson is really to vote the incumbents out of office at every level of city, county, and state government until we get a group of wahoos who want to do more than line their and their chosen constituency's pockets

Step one would be to consolidate the city and villages into a county-wide metropolitan government, and eliminate all the duplication of services. Every time I see or hear a government employee union crying about some gross injustice against their oppressed workforce I feel like telling them to go get a real job and then see if I give a sh--.

PTR

You have a point about drought.

I think its time for more drastic measures... Like lawsuits against the State. However this would take 1000's of people willing to take a stand against the tax structure and the wat the REGION is run. Never happen... The people of Buffalo REVEL in the "victim" mentality which is even shown through their reaction to sporting events. The "No Goal" "Home run Throwback" we got screwed again by the "Man" is an example of this mentality.

This mentality even came from my parents when I moved to Atlanta... "OMG! what will happen if it doesnt work out there in Atlanta Steve! OMG... OMG!!!." my reply? "Uhhh, just move back?"

http://www.wned.org/features/ResurrectingBuffalo/default.asp

Friday's dialogue - which began with an apology from Ed Glaeser who went on to say that Buffalo is an amazing city – truly was a clear indication of what an incredible community this is. On a Friday afternoon which was the most beautiful day in over six months, 350 people showed up to hear a Harvard University professor defend his less-than-complimentary comments about our region. That speaks volumes about our spirit and our future.

Nothing wrong with Buffalo that 50,000 good jobs couldn't fix- Buffalo has had bad political leadership from at least the 50's- Buffalo is the Ultimate it's not what you know it's who you know town- Buffalo has shot itself in the foot so many times it should wear bullet proof shoes- example1 Bell Labs wanted the land where an old police garage was, for building transistors. The city said no we might want to use that land some day. example 2 at one time UB was going to build it's new campus Downtown and on the waterfront but in reaction to the student protest Buffalo said no thank you- build it somewhere isolated.

The people of Buffalo are used to getting stomped on, so the economy tanking hasn't taken a huge toll yet. We've already had business gutted from high taxes and our population is holding steady in relation to jobs. The spirit of the people will hold the city together in the middle of a financial/political/social disaster. To me right now it isn't about the mistakes of the past, or planning on growth in the future....it is about financial survival. For the time being, Buffalo is weathering the storm like a charm.

Big problem ahead...pension funds and government budget. Once the reality of our situation is obvious and in the hands of those that rely on the government....the doodoo will hit the fan. We will have 70 year olds in the street with pitchforks. That is the only thing I worry about Buffalo right now.

Also, along with the lake we have Niagara Falls. In a time of war or scramble for resources....don't take the importance of that lightly.

Under the usual thinking, Buffalo has a bleak future. But what does Buffalo have a lot of? Fresh water. New York State and the other Great Lakes states need to take steps to insure their water will not be shipped south to prop up growth elsewhere.

PTR

Already considered and enacted into law:

Great Lakes Basin Compact

BTW - your other comment about Atlanta nearly running out of water is also a fact.

News story

The people of Buffalo are used to getting stomped on, so the economy tanking hasn't taken a huge toll yet. We've already had business gutted from high taxes and our population is holding steady in relation to jobs. The spirit of the people will hold the city together in the middle of a financial/political/social disaster. To me right now it isn't about the mistakes of the past, or planning on growth in the future....it is about financial survival. For the time being, Buffalo is weathering the storm like a charm.

Big problem ahead...pension funds and government budget. Once the reality of our situation is obvious and in the hands of those that rely on the government....the doodoo will hit the fan. We will have 70 year olds in the street with pitchforks. That is the only thing I worry about Buffalo right now.

Also, along with the lake we have Niagara Falls. In a time of war or scramble for resources....don't take the importance of that lightly.

I hope Canada comes in and takes over- the streets will be cleaner and we will have fully naked strippers.

I left NY State when Hugh Carey promised NOT to raise taxes to bail out NYC. I kept my residency there, until I was stationed in South Dakota which doesn't have an income tax. When I attempted to change residencies mid year, NY State decided they needed my income more than I, and refused to refund the money I didn't owe.

If the Legislature wanted to fix the state, they could. Cut off NYC, make it a district much like Washington D.C and be done with it. Let them rot in their garbage and corruption, but it is very unlikely that cronyism will change much in the future.

Hell, even arrogant politicians like Carolyn Kennedy didn't know a thing about the blight of western NY, or have any idea on how to fix it.

By the Way, when the did the governors start residing in NYC, and not in Albany? I thought they loved it up there in Nelson Rockefeller land? All the beautiful abandoned buildings. That might be when the state started on the decline, spending billions to build a ghost town.

I live in Minneapolis, and its true, they changed their identity and it took off. We pay a pretty good tax here ourselves, but the legislature isn't as corrupt spending it. They don't have 6.5 million NYC voters telling them what they need, while the rest of the state suffers. It's the squeeky wheel syndrome. You guys are left in the dark, while the money you earn is spent on someone else.

One suggestion, is get Iran to nuke NYC, and the problem is fixed, at least temporarily. :lol: