"Friday Night Lights"

Buftex

Given the numerous threads about quality television, I just wanted to remind all that haven't been watching the third season of "Friday Night Lights" on DIRECT TV, it will be showing on NBC, starting January 16th. It will only run for 13 episodes. I know there were some here who really enjoyed the show...I have seen the third season, and it is excellent. Rumor has it (again) that this may be it. Maybe a little ratings spike on NBC will give it some more life. I won't give anything away, to those who haven't seen it, but I will tell you, the way the season ends could be a terrific ending, or just a very interesting new begining for a 4th season.

EDIT: Sorry Mods, I meant to open this on the "Off the Wall" page...can't move it now...

Given the numerous threads about quality television, I just wanted to remind all that haven't been watching the third season of "Friday Night Lights" on DIRECT TV, it will be showing on NBC, starting January 16th. It will only run for 13 episodes. I know there were some here who really enjoyed the show...I have seen the third season, and it is excellent. Rumor has it (again) that this may be it. Maybe a little ratings spike on NBC will give it some more life. I won't give anything away, to those who haven't seen it, but I will tell you, the way the season ends could be a terrific ending, or just a very interesting new begining for a 4th season.

EDIT: Sorry Mods, I meant to open this on the "Off the Wall" page...can't move it now...

I'll second that. All three seasons have been excellent. By far the show I most look forward to. Extremely well written and well cast. We need a better fullback, so draft Riggins!

Clear eyes, full hearts.

My second favorite football team is the Dillon Panthers.

It has been a very good season. The last episode plays on DTV this coming week. If you have not seen it, I also recommend watching it when it starts on NBC.

It will be interesting to see whether the show continues and what they do given that many of the central characters are graduating.

I have to agree, it is one of the, if not the best made show I have ever seen-and not just because it is about football. It isn't all about football, which is one misconception which leads to its lower ratings than a show this special should have. It if filmed and acted brilliantly. I switched to DirecTV about 5 years ago to get the Sunday Ticket, and I have to be honest, I have looked forward more lately to watching FNL than the Bills games. I will have to sit and hold my breath like I have after the first two seasons, and hope it gets good ratings on NBC so it comes back for a fourth season. The second to last episode of the season, this past wednesday, was so good, I have already watched it a second time. It is without a doubt, the best kept secret in TV history.

If im not mistaken and most likely I am, but.....one of the cast members actually tried out for the Bills? Or was invited to mini camp? I cant remember the name of the guy, but I do remember a story about this and I swore the guy was trying out for the Bills.....

They have been showing this season on DirecTV 101. It is the worst season by far. The writers have run out of ideas.

Wow...I think this third season has been amazing...not sure if we are talking about the same show...what leads you to think they have "run out of ideas"?

Gotta admitt, I am little biased, I have two friends that work on the show, but I think it is great...

If im not mistaken and most likely I am, but.....one of the cast members actually tried out for the Bills? Or was invited to mini camp? I cant remember the name of the guy, but I do remember a story about this and I swore the guy was trying out for the Bills.....

I do not know about that, but I do know that the guy who plays Coach Taylor was born in Buffalo.

I simply love this show. Peter Berg is a genius.

Wow...I think this third season has been amazing...not sure if we are talking about the same show...what leads you to think they have "run out of ideas"?

Gotta admitt, I am little biased, I have two friends that work on the show, but I think it is great...

********Spoiler Alert******************

Well, where did the coach's baby go?

What happened to Lyla that turned her from a God Squader to a whore?

The whole spoiled rich kid story line is silly as Dillon is supposed to be a dirt water craphole town.

Slash can't tryout and walk on a big time school in mid season

Street suddenly is a sports agent? Gimme a break.

Need I go on?

I remember that, but not the player's name. I recall he was a wide receiver who came to Bills training camp and got cut. I remember his role on the show was only as an anonymous player for the opposing team in game scenes.

********Spoiler Alert******************

Well, where did the coach's baby go?

Maybe you aren't watching closely, but the baby has been in numerous scenes, as well as mentioned many times...you know "baby Gracie"

What happened to Lyla that turned her from a God Squader to a whore?

I will agree that this is the most poorly developed story line going from one season to another, but, I just take it that Lyla is going through some identity crise, brought on by her family breaking apart...I remember things similar to this happening when I was in high school...kids would transform their identity over night...not sure that they have made her into a "whore" as you suggest, but she is sleeping with one guy...if your view that teenage sex is only for whores, that is your perception, but it is a reality...

The whole spoiled rich kid story line is silly as Dillon is supposed to be a dirt water craphole town.

Texas is crazy for football at all levels. I live in Austin, which is a little more metropolitan than your average Texas city...Drew Brees was a big high school star here, he grew up very priveldged, and his family moved so he could go to Westlake high shcool, one of the premier high school football programs in Texas. If there had been an established QB at Westlake, it is very likely that Drews' family would have done/moved wherever they needed to, for him to play. Dillon, in the show, is supposed to be a premier high school football school...

Slash can't tryout and walk on a big time school in mid season

Again, it is television, some times you have to suspend logic... that storyline was awesome....

Street suddenly is a sports agent? Gimme a break.

They never said street was a sports agent, did they? When talking to his girlfriend he said that he got an "entry level" job working for a sports agency, said his starting salary was $40,000. Again, a great storyline for a really fine actor. If you thought that was bad, you probably just don't like the show to begin with. I thought Scott Porters' performance this season was worthy of some Emmy nominations.

Need I go on?

So, you didn't like all the story lines, but that means the writers ran out of ideas?

Honestly, I don't think it is the perfect show, but some of the problems with storylines not being developed more go hand in hand with the shows tenous existance (renewed for a half of a season, 13 episodes, rather than the normal 24-30 for major network shows), and the shoe string budget that they work on. I have seen few shows that capture small nuances of life, like this one does.