Got bad news today

Hey, John. Just wanna say thanks for the service you have provided in the past. Wish there were more like you around.

But as others have already suggested, take time to inhale the family and take care of yourself. Type 2 is routinely controlled through diet and exercise. And you've routinely exhibited the traits necessary to lick this most likely your entire life.

Let the bummer that it is now serve you.

Besides, now you'll have some extra time to help us all disect line play more deeply. God knows we need it.

Get well. Stay well.

Dude, you got the sugar?

My dad died back in '94 a pretty horrible death from diabetes and its complications. He always referred to himself as "yeah I got da sugar, but I don't watch what I eat". I doubt that he could even say diabetes let alone understand it or have the will power to control it. Ultimately, he was screwed because of all that. I guess my point was when people say "sugar", well it sounds so harmless when it isn't. Dean, I know that you weren't making light of it though

My dad died back in '94 a pretty horrible death from diabetes and its complications. He always referred to himself as "yeah I got da sugar, but I don't watch what I eat". I doubt that he could even say diabetes let alone understand it or have the will power to control it. Ultimately, he was screwed because of all that. I guess my point was when people say "sugar", well it sounds so harmless when it isn't. Dean, I know that you weren't making light of it though

Thanks. I wasn't making light of the situation.

Those people seem to be the ultimate head scratchers for a lot of doctors. If you go out and make even a few changes, you can cut back on the chances of developing those complications quite a bit. It may be difficult, but it's worth it.

Those people seem to be the ultimate head scratchers for a lot of doctors. If you go out and make even a few changes, you can cut back on the chances of developing those complications quite a bit. It may be difficult, but it's worth it.

I can attest (even though I am going have to go back to the doctor) that making lifestyle changes does help this situation

a year ago I

- Was lightheaded all the time

- Had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes....all day and all night

- Was getting sick at least once a month from something or another

When I decided I wanted to go back into the guard I

- Exercised more (I have always lifted weights but got more of a balance more cardio/less lifting)

- Stopped eating cheeseburgers and chinese food at lunch and started eating fruit for breakfast and salads for lunch

- Drank less soda

Just those things caused my energy level to go up, stopped the urination frequency, dropped weight, and I have actually been sick with any kind of illness maybe twice this whole past year.

That was why I was so suprised when the recruiter called me and told me my sugar levels were too high and I had diabetes....I am not even taking medication.

That was why I was so suprised when the recruiter called me and told me my sugar levels were too high and I had diabetes....I am not even taking medication.

I've seen plenty of cases where they never bother to ask. Did you fast before the blood test?

I can attest (even though I am going have to go back to the doctor) that making lifestyle changes does help this situation

a year ago I

- Was lightheaded all the time

- Had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes....all day and all night

- Was getting sick at least once a month from something or another

When I decided I wanted to go back into the guard I

- Exercised more (I have always lifted weights but got more of a balance more cardio/less lifting)

- Stopped eating cheeseburgers and chinese food at lunch and started eating fruit for breakfast and salads for lunch

- Drank less soda

Just those things caused my energy level to go up, stopped the urination frequency, dropped weight, and I have actually been sick with any kind of illness maybe twice this whole past year.

Dude, get a second blood test by your doctor. Mistakes happen.

Definitely get another test. You can't be officially diagnosed as type II without two elevated fasting glucose tests performed on separate days.

The FPG test is the preferred test for diagnosing diabetes because of its convenience and low cost. However, it will miss some diabetes or pre-diabetes that can be found with the OGTT. The FPG test is most reliable when done in the morning. Results and their meaning are shown in Table 1. People with a fasting glucose level of 100 to 125 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) have a form of pre-diabetes called impaired fasting glucose (IFG). Having IFG means a person has an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes but does not have it yet. A level of 126 mg/dL or above, confirmed by repeating the test on another day, means a person has diabetes.

Link

Definitely get another test. You can't be officially diagnosed as type II without two elevated fasting glucose tests performed on separate days.

Link

If it means that much to you, you should also have a 24 hour test done. You whizz in a bottle, don't eat overnight, then they take your blood....you swallow some sugar drink, then they draw blood after to see how fast you process it.

My doctor said I had it off of 1 blood test and when we did this I registered fine. You could have pre-diabetes which is pretty much what range I am in, but that may be good enough to get you in. If you have insurance it should cover the test, if not it might be worth the gamble.

Good luck

If it means that much to you, you should also have a 24 hour test done. You whizz in a bottle, don't eat overnight, then they take your blood....you swallow some sugar drink, then they draw blood after to see how fast you process it.

My doctor said I had it off of 1 blood test and when we did this I registered fine. You could have pre-diabetes which is pretty much what range I am in, but that may be good enough to get you in. If you have insurance it should cover the test, if not it might be worth the gamble.

Good luck

And just for the curious, above 200 mg/dL is the cutoff for diabetes on an OGTT. 140-199 is considered impaired (IFG).