Any pilots on the Board?

bills_fan

I'm planning to start to fulfill a lifelong dream and get my pilot's license (including instrument certification).

I'd probably be taking lessions out at Farmingdale airport.

Any tips, recommendations etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm planning to start to fulfill a lifelong dream and get my pilot's license (including instrument certification).

Ive had my license for 3 years now and I must say it is nothing but enjoyment! Once you get a good hang of things and some comfort up there you can travel about anywhere u wish for pennies on the dollar. Tons of fun man!

Ive had my license for 3 years now and I must say it is nothing but enjoyment! Once you get a good hang of things and some comfort up there you can travel about anywhere u wish for pennies on the dollar. Tons of fun man!

How long did you take to complete the training? I have always wanted to do it, a conversation with a friend about 6 months ago who is about 1/2 way to his instrument rating got me really thinking. I've been doing some research and can't wait to start.

I've known a few private pilots and had a lot of fun flying with them. It seems like a blast, definitely something I would like to get into a few years down the road.

The whole process costs less than you would probably imagine in the NYC area. The main thing holding me back is time.

The whole process costs less than you would probably imagine in the NYC area. The main thing holding me back is time.

I think the expensive part is the cost of the plane (I think you generally pay by flight hour) and fuel, which could add up if you fly a lot.

But I agree, it's not a wildly expensive hobby.

Got my ticket in Alaska years ago and I would say the the most important thing is find a first instructor that is going to stick around and go from first solo to your private check ride. Must CFIs are low time pilots just looking to build hours so they can move on to a real job. The result is you spend 10 hours flying with instructor "A" and discover next time you schedule a lesson "A" has got a new job with trans love airlines and now you start over with a new instructor who doesn't have a clue what your capable of. Its no fun to demonstrate the same old maneuvers over and over to different instructors[i would have to check my log book, but I think I had 6 different instructors as a student] I don't know how many flight schools you have in your area but I would look for a CFI that is older and retired from a aviation career and is not looking to move on.

I have an Airline Transport License, been flying since 1967. Got my license at BUF, soloed at Batavia, did a lot of practice at Niagara Falls-nothing like a 9,000 foot runway, with no other traffic for practice!

Right now 100LL Avgas is $3.65-3.90 per gallon in Richmond VA. I would expect it to be higher in NYS due to the TAXES! That's down $1 from last summer.

A Cessna 172/Piper Cherokee will burn between 6-8 gallons per hour. Then you have to add in the Instructor and the Plane Rental.

Private Pilot's used to need a min. of 40 hours for a check ride. Since I got mine in 1968, that may have changed. Almost nobody makes it in 40 hours!

You get your 3rd class Medical, find a reputable place, practice, practice, practice, pass your FAA written exam, and FAA examiner's oral exam and a final check ride, by an FAA examiner before you get the license in your hand.

The big issue, after you get a license is keeping it current. If you don't use it much you get "rusty" and that's not safe!

If you fly for pleasure you'll enjoy it. If you fly as a profession it can be a real grind. Low pay, bad hours, never enough rest, air traffic delays because the FAA can't handle the volumes etc....

Good luck!

Getting your 3rd class medical soon is a good idea. Although, check into the new Sport Pilot license rather than Private Pilot. There was talk of not needing a medical for that (provided you hadn't already failed one). (I no longer fly, so I'm really not up to date on info.)

I was a student pilot, but gave it up as I figured it wasn't worth the effort & expense to pursue unless I was willing to buy a plane. I'll interject that I'm not good at diverting my attention on several things w/o fixating, which means I'm not naturally good at flying.

I waited until I was ready to solo to take my medical. It got "deferred". 13 months later, I got provisional approval. I largely had to start my training over. Don't get me started on home $#%^&! inept the FAA Aeromedical division is.

My familiarity is several yrs old, so bear this in mind.

At the time, minimum # of hrs required was 40, but only 30 if you went through a particular type of school training. The avg b4 taking a checkride (essentially your driving test plus a fairly extensive oral exam) was like 79.

I used to flight plan for 8 gal/hr in a Cessna 172. At the time, gas was ~$2.50 IIRC (price is much more stable than auto pump gas BTW) & you could rent a "trainer" for anywhere from $50-$80/hr (flight time). Assume the cost would be $10 or more per hr more now due primarily to increased gas cost.

Gotta say that landing a plane, by yourself, is an exhilarating sensation. If nothing else, I'd recommend trying it for a few hrs.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck.

Getting your 3rd class medical soon is a good idea. Although, check into the new Sport Pilot license rather than Private Pilot. There was talk of not needing a medical for that (provided you hadn't already failed one). (I no longer fly, so I'm really not up to date on info.)

I was a student pilot, but gave it up as I figured it wasn't worth the effort & expense to pursue unless I was willing to buy a plane. I'll interject that I'm not good at diverting my attention on several things w/o fixating, which means I'm not naturally good at flying.

I waited until I was ready to solo to take my medical. It got "deferred". 13 months later, I got provisional approval. I largely had to start my training over. Don't get me started on home $#%^&! inept the FAA Aeromedical division is.

My familiarity is several yrs old, so bear this in mind.

At the time, minimum # of hrs required was 40, but only 30 if you went through a particular type of school training. The avg b4 taking a checkride (essentially your driving test plus a fairly extensive oral exam) was like 79.

I used to flight plan for 8 gal/hr in a Cessna 172. At the time, gas was ~$2.50 IIRC (price is much more stable than auto pump gas BTW) & you could rent a "trainer" for anywhere from $50-$80/hr (flight time). Assume the cost would be $10 or more per hr more now due primarily to increased gas cost.

Gotta say that landing a plane, by yourself, is an exhilarating sensation. If nothing else, I'd recommend trying it for a few hrs.

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck.

What was the medical problem? Not being intrusive but I have to deal with a FAA med every two years and this sounds like like something I can add to the can anyone who walks upright at the FAA make some sense?

What was the medical problem?

Diplopia(sp?) Basically it's a vision/neurological problem the only symptom that I was aware of is that when I look up and left, I see 2 images. For most of my field of vision, my vision is normal, for another 25% or so, I can "fight" the natural tendency of images from both eyes diverging, but for maybe 15% of my field of vision, there's nothing I can do. After seeing and speaking w/ an AME opthamologist I've discovered that I have no depth perception when looking up & that I likely have more trouble tracking fast moving objects than "normal" people.

I went to this AME to provide ammunition for my petition that my vision caused no problem. (Seriously, never thought it would, it's not something I think about. I function fine in all aspects (sports, driving, juggling) WRT vision.

this sounds like like something I can add to the can anyone who walks upright at the FAA make some sense?

Sorry, don't know what you're saying/asking? Can you clarify? But to reiterate, I was/am disgusted at the ineptitude and general clusterf$¢k that is the aeromedical division.

Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?

Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.

[leans arm on hot engine part]

Fletch: Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Go to the school behind the Airpower museum. Good guys there. And good luck!

I took an intro lesson there and was amazed at how easy flying is. Not procedurally, of course, but the actual act of flying. Once you trim it out and assuming youre in decent weather, the aircraft is just rock-solid and will stay in the attitude you put it it for a while. Doenst need constant correction like driving or piloting a boat does.

I forgot to mention, regarding FAA Medicals, they (FAA) check them against your DMV record. Your Medical form has a place where you sign off on the verification. That goes to Oklahoma City, and that's where they are checked. If you have any DUI's you'll likely be disqualified. They also want to know what kinds of Med's you may be taking. Even something as innocent as cold or allergy treatments may not be acceptable.

They don't take any blood but they do want a urine sample and they check the temp!

You don't need a Medical for an "introductory lesson" but you will need it once you actually begin training.

Cleared for Takeoff! :lol:

Diplopia(sp?) Basically it's a vision/neurological problem the only symptom that I was aware of is that when I look up and left, I see 2 images. For most of my field of vision, my vision is normal, for another 25% or so, I can "fight" the natural tendency of images from both eyes diverging, but for maybe 15% of my field of vision, there's nothing I can do. After seeing and speaking w/ an AME opthamologist I've discovered that I have no depth perception when looking up & that I likely have more trouble tracking fast moving objects than "normal" people.

I went to this AME to provide ammunition for my petition that my vision caused no problem. (Seriously, never thought it would, it's not something I think about. I function fine in all aspects (sports, driving, juggling) WRT vision.

Sorry, don't know what you're saying/asking? Can you clarify? But to reiterate, I was/am disgusted at the ineptitude and general clusterf$¢k that is the aeromedical division.

How did that turn up at a FAA medical? Thats normally a read the wall chart simple eye test.

Got halfway through ground school before 9/11 shut down my plans.

One bit of advice I got was: Pick up "Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook" (http://www.amazon.com/Rod-Machados-Private-Pilot-Handbook/dp/0963122991/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231526167&sr=8-8). It was very helpful in preparing, even before I started lessons.

The other bit of advice I got was: a decent flight simulator with a decent set of controls (e.g. rudder pedals). Supposedly it can save some time and money when it comes to the actual flight lessons...but I can't speak first hand to that.