Painting Question

Stl Bills

Alright so I have a bunch of really ugly laminate cabinets that I pulled out the basement of a rehab house I'm doing. I have another house that I was going to put white cabinets in and it dawned on me that I could save about 3500 if I could maybe just paint the ugly cabinets white. Only problem is these cabinets are not a solid wooden finish they are laminate. I've done some research and apparently there are some paints out there for such an application but i was wondering if anybody painted anything like this and how it turned out. I guess worst case scenario I'll do a test run on one cabinet and if it looks like crap I'll just buck up and buy the new ones. Anyone got any advice on painting on such a surface?

Alright so I have a bunch of really ugly laminate cabinets that I pulled out the basement of a rehab house I'm doing. I have another house that I was going to put white cabinets in and it dawned on me that I could save about 3500 if I could maybe just paint the ugly cabinets white. Only problem is these cabinets are not a solid wooden finish they are laminate. I've done some research and apparently there are some paints out there for such an application but i was wondering if anybody painted anything like this and how it turned out. I guess worst case scenario I'll do a test run on one cabinet and if looks like crap I'll just buck up and buy the new ones. Anyone got any advice on painting on such a surface?

Great question. I too have been thinking about doing the same thing.

I had just the doors and faces painted, left the frames alone. It was a spray on paint that came out in a multi-colored speckeled finish. I can't remember the name of the paint though. Wasn't cheap either - about $75 for a gallon. I'll check my notes.