A super geeked out technical music

Cugalabanza

Johnny Coli said he's gonna bust out his old Stooges records in honor of Ron Asheton. That got me thinking…

I'm thinking it's time to replace the stylus on my cheap Sony turntable. Anybody familiar with the difference between "conical" (aka "spherical") and "elliptical" needles? From what little I've read, I'm seeing some comments that the elliptical ones sound better because they go deeper into the groove and make more contact with the record surface. Also they cost a little more. I'm wondering if I should get the standard replacement or go for the super-deluxe, extra fancy geekboy special? Any opinions? (Keep in mind I do not have the super-expensive audiophile setup--I just want to get a nice sound from my ok, regular guy stereo).

Johnny Coli said he's gonna bust out his old Stooges records in honor of Ron Asheton. That got me thinking…

I'm thinking it's time to replace the stylus on my cheap Sony turntable. Anybody familiar with the difference between "conical" (aka "spherical") and "elliptical" needles? From what little I've read, I'm seeing some comments that the elliptical ones sound better because they go deeper into the groove and make more contact with the record surface. Also they cost a little more. I'm wondering if I should get the standard replacement or go for the super-deluxe, extra fancy geekboy special? Any opinions? (Keep in mind I do not have the super-expensive audiophile setup--I just want to get a nice sound from my ok, regular guy stereo).

I rip a lot of vinyl and I use an elliptical needle. This is what I use:

Ortofon OMP10 P-Mount Phono Cartridge

I've been really happy with it.

Will run you well under $100, or cheaper if you only need a stylus and not the cartridge. The Needle Doctor site says $84 for the P-mount cartridge but that seems a bit steep. Look around on the site if you want something less expensive, then head down to a local audio joint and they'll probably have one.

Will run you well under $100, or cheaper if you only need a stylus and not the cartridge. The Needle Doctor site says $84 for the P-mount cartridge but that seems a bit steep. Look around on the site if you want something less expensive, then head down to a local audio joint and they'll probably have one.

Thanks for the response!

Actually, this is more high end than what I need, but I'll take it as a vote for Elliptical. I'm working with a cheap Sony turntable that just has the snap on replaceable stylus. That might be kind of laughable to more serious record collectors, but it works well for my set up. I'm basically just choosing between the standard (conical needle) replacement for about $30 or the upgraded version (elliptical) for about $35. I'm gonna go with the elliptical.

Definitely Ortofon! Best stylus and cartridge a turntable could ever have.

Thanks for the response!

Actually, this is more high end than what I need, but I'll take it as a vote for Elliptical. I'm working with a cheap Sony turntable that just has the snap on replaceable stylus. That might be kind of laughable to more serious record collectors, but it works well for my set up. I'm basically just choosing between the standard (conical needle) replacement for about $30 or the upgraded version (elliptical) for about $35. I'm gonna go with the elliptical.

Sure thing. I bought a ton of vinyl over the holiday. The prices are going up because vinyl is a hot item right now. Tons of fabulous reissues of previously out-of-print stuff coming out, and many come with a single-use password that allows you to download the mp3's. Pretty cool.

The prices are going up...

You are right about that. I recently saw a vinyl reissue of The Talking Heads-Remain in Light (a great great record in my opinion), but it was $25. That's just a little too much I think. Same thing for Axis: Bold as Love (to me the best Jimi record)--I saw it for $28. I guess I'll stick with my cd versions for those.

You are right about that. I recently saw a vinyl reissue of The Talking Heads-Remain in Light (a great great record in my opinion), but it was $25. That's just a little too much I think. Same thing for Axis: Bold as Love (to me the best Jimi record)--I saw it for $28. I guess I'll stick with my cd versions for those.

I was at a collector's shop in Maine just after Christmas and the owner wanted $35 for an original pressing of Wire - Pink Flag. I wanted it but thought that was too steep and the cover wasn't in mint condition. I bought a re-issue at Newbury Comics in Harvard Square for $14. I dig Wire and all, but I'm not over-paying for that LP. Some stuff, sure, but some stuff just isn't worth it.

Hey Gringo - when you get your new cartridge (don't just replace the stylus, and DO get the elliptical) don't forget to set the tracking force (the weight that the tonearm applies to the LP).

If you have any questions, just ask!

Another nice cartridge to check out is the Grado line. An elliptical "P" mount version can be had for around $30. Not taking anything away from the Ortofons, though - they're great, too.

This is a nice one: http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-Ortofo...mp;category=969

Hey Gringo - when you get your new cartridge (don't just replace the stylus, and DO get the elliptical) don't forget to set the tracking force (the weight that the tonearm applies to the LP).

If you have any questions, just ask!

Another nice cartridge to check out is the Grado line. An elliptical "P" mount version can be had for around $30. Not taking anything away from the Ortofons, though - they're great, too.

This is a nice one: http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-Ortofo...mp;category=969

These P-mount cartridges don't even apply to my crappy turntable. I plan to upgrade to something better, but for now I'm just working with a cheapo snap-on stylus replacement. Actually this is the one I just ordered.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this stuff in mind for when I have a better player.

These P-mount cartridges don't even apply to my crappy turntable. I plan to upgrade to something better, but for now I'm just working with a cheapo snap-on stylus replacement. Actually this is the one I just ordered.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this stuff in mind for when I have a better player.

But please still check the tracking force! That is the #1 factor (along with cartridge alignment) that will determine the performance of your turntable, whether it's a $149.99 Circuit City special or a $100,000.00 custom rig with stylii made from petrified squid penis.

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/caliburn.html

But please still check the tracking force! That is the #1 factor (along with cartridge alignment) that will determine the performance of your turntable, whether it's a $149.99 Circuit City special or a $100,000.00 custom rig with stylii made from petrified squid penis.

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/caliburn.html

I used to scotch tape a penny at the end of the tone arm.

Seemed to mute the tch,tch,tch, ta-tch, ta-tch,tch,tch of my scratched-up, beer-candle-wax-vomit abused mono and stereo LPs. You used to have to pay a buck or so more for the stereo platters. :w00t:

I used to scotch tape a penny at the end of the tone arm.

Seemed to mute the tch,tch,tch, ta-tch, ta-tch,tch,tch of my scratched-up, beer-candle-wax-vomit abused mono and stereo LPs. You used to have to pay a buck or so more for the stereo platters. :lol:

And many of those mono cheapies are what the collectors are paying the big $$$ for today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATLES-WHITE-ALBUM-UK...Z260342828566QQ