Bills Best QB Since Kelly

Best QB Since Kelly  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Who's been the best (of the worst)?

• Todd Collins
    • Billy Joe Hobert
    • Alex Van Pelt
    • Doug Flutie
    • Rob Johnson
    • Drew Bledsoe
    • JP Losman
    • Kelly Holcomb
    • Trent Edwards

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough one here: short list is Collins, Flutie, Bledsoe or Edwards. I guess if I needed someone to win one game I'd go with Flutie. If I wanted to invest in someone it would be either Collins or Edwards. While Bledsoe had the best career stats by far. Based on potential, I'm going with Edwards ... and I really hope next year we see some better arm strength and deep passes out of him.

have the Bills had a QB since Kelly?

I'm not hyping Bledsoe...God knows he had his problems. But, Flutie was not a legitmate NFL starting QB. And, to use your evidence of what happened after the guy left town, Bledsoe was better in Dallas (as bad as he was) than Flutie was in San Diego. Let's face it, Bledsoe was close to washed up as an NFL QB, but he still had an NFL arm. With a decent offensive line (something the Bills did not have at the time) he would have looked much better.

Flutie was an NFL castoff (neither the Pats* nor the Bears* had any use for him) who excelled in the CFL. He happened to be on the Bills when the team had an awesome defense, and did a decent job of letting that D win the game. Flutie was exciting, and could really make things happen, on one last drive, with the opposing D in prevent mode. But, on more occasions that not, the reason the team needed that last drive was due, in large part, to Skin's sub-standard performance in the first 3 1/2 quarters. Flutie would have been a terrific backup, and change of pace, QB. But, he was not a legitimate NFL starter.

Finally, for you W/L freaks, the Bills won 23 games in 3 years with Bledsoe was the starter. In 3 years with Flutie under center, with a superior defense, the Bills won 21 games.

Can't really disagree with your points. But damn, Flutie was fun to watch and got the adrenaline going, didn't he?

Flutie, no contest. The little guy should have remained the starter from the game he replaced injured Rob Johnson early in 1998, until he finally retired after the 2005 season. Think about it, could the Bills have possibly been any worse with him as their starter those 8 seasons??? As long as he would have stayed alive going into his early 40's during those 8 years of course.

In 2004, the Bills drafted Lee Evans a couple of picks after the Steelers drafted Ben Roethlesberger. If old Flutie was still starting after the 2003 season, instead of Drew Bledsoe, the Bills may have been more aggressive to get into position for Manning, Rivers or Big Ben. Knowing that Flutie was nearing the end of his career, instead of thinking they had 5 more good years with Bledsoe, I think the Bills would have wanted one of the top 3 QB's of that that draft, instead of settling for the 4th first rounder, the "Todd Blackledge" of the 2004 draft, our own J.P. Lost-man.

You never know. But regardless of who the Bills would have drafted or picked up to replace Dougie, if he had been the starter from '98 through '04 or '05, I don't know how many more games the Bills would have won, but they would have been a hell of a lot more entertaining, anyway!!

Bledsoe started every game for 3 years. Of those 48 games, he was 23-25

According to this website (guaranteed free of Pixe dude and Rick Roll), Flutie started 30 games and went 21-9

Fixed.

Your point?

I will put it like this..A good qb will mask a a whole lot of bad items on your team...If you dont have a good qb your bad items get multiplied..You are right to a point about not putting wins and losses on a qb however a I guarantee you if you put a bonafide good qb who can play the game the way it is suppose to be played (reading a defense, not taking a chance when not needed, taking a chance when needed, knowing where to go with the ball during a blitz, knowing when to call a timeout, being able to throw most every pass etc..) I guarantee you he will effect your teams wins and losses more than any other player on the team..And likewise if you have a bonehead qb like we have endured over the past 9 years at least you get what we have witnessed, confusion chaos and watching the NFL playoffs on sundays without the Bills..So if it makes you feel better to cross off the he and put Bills there go ahead its the "politically correct" thing to do.However call a spade a spade..If the Bills had a had a better qb over the past years they wouldve made the playoffs..

I was surprised that my vote - Bledsoe - was in second. I was really expecting to be like one of maybe three people that picked him in the poll, considering how much negative crap we all heard about him when he was here. He was actually one of my favorite players in the NFL, both during his time here and while leading the Patsies. I got sick of people saying he was "over-rated." I would correct them all by saying, "No, you mean he was over-SACKED." Drew was a walking example of the number one rule regarding pure pocket passers: When throwing a ball ... upright is GOOD, prone is BAD. Drew was a competitor with a golden arm. Miss him.

competitor--ok sure....golden arm--absolutely.....could sense a rush--NO....... coach killer in NE--YES...maker of stupid plays--YES.....--overall a slightly above average QB.

I respect your disagreement, but don't tell me he didn't get his chance in his early NFL years. Take a peek at the stat lines from his early years. He saw action. He might have seen more if his completion percentage wasn't so horrible:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlutDo00.htm

In 1988 he played in 11 games (started 9 of them). His completion percentage was 51.9%

In 1989 he played in 5 games (started 3). His completion percentage was 39.6%.

If he were an NFL starting caliber QB, he would have found a place to play.

There is a reason he went to the CFL.

wow 16 whole games....not enough to judge. From what I saw of him back then he had potential--was just not clicking.

competitor--ok sure....golden arm--absolutely.....could sense a rush--NO....... coach killer in NE--YES...maker of stupid plays--YES.....--overall a slightly above average QB.

For all the posters on this board that think stats are important or mean ANYTHING.............Drew Bledsoe has HOF stats.