interesting - Mark Gaughan defends John Guy, sorta

Modrak is a pretty straight shooter. You can usually tell from his pre-daft comments which players he advocates. This year, I thought he clearly had his eye on McKelvin from day one, suggesting that he was definitely a top 10 player. Last year he also couldn't say enough great things about Lynch -- almost to the point where some folks thought he was just blowing smoke.

I never got the impression that he was especially high on Whitner, JP or Willis. In fact, the year that the Bills took McGahee, he seemed to be all over Rasheen Mathis.

I get the impression that DJ identifies the positions (along priority lines) that need upgrading. Modrak provides his list of such players that could potentially fill the voids and assigns a grade to each player. Then, round by round, the FO reaches a consensus on who they want to draft.

Bingo...I believe this has been our path thus far...

Colts 1st rounders since hiring Polian:

2007 Anthony Gonzalez

2006 Joseph Addai

2005 Marlin Jackson

2003 Dallas Clark

2002 Dwight Freeney

2001 Reggie Wayne

2000 Rob Morris

1999 Edgerrin James

1998 Peyton Manning

Patriots 1st rounders since hiring Belichick/Pioli:

2008 Jerod Mayo

2007 Brandon Meriweather

2006 Laurence Maroney

2005 Logan Mankins

2004 Vince Wilfork

2004 Ben Watson

2003 Ty Warren

2002 Daniel Graham

2001 Richard Seymour

Ravens 1st rounders since promoting Ozzie Newsome:

2008 Joe Flacco

2007 Ben Grubbs

2006 Haloti Ngata

2005 Mark Clayton

2003 Terrell Suggs

2003 Kyle Boller

2002 Ed Reed

2001 Todd Heap

2000 Jamal Lewis

2000 Travis Taylor

1999 Chris McAlister

1998 Duane Starks

1997 Peter Boulware

1996 Jonathan Ogden

1996 Ray Lewis

Not sure where you're getting that 50% mark from. I think the league's best executives can clearly put the majority of their 1st round picks to good use. If we're going to compete with these teams despite a small budget, 50% will not cut it.

Just look at the Patriots record of picks! But of course they wouldn't want to bring in Pioli to turn around this team instead we will promote more knuckleheads and have a marketing guy in charge of them all...brilliant.

Colts 1st rounders since hiring Polian:

2007 Anthony Gonzalez

2006 Joseph Addai

2005 Marlin Jackson

2003 Dallas Clark

2002 Dwight Freeney

2001 Reggie Wayne

2000 Rob Morris

1999 Edgerrin James

1998 Peyton Manning

Patriots 1st rounders since hiring Belichick/Pioli:

2008 Jerod Mayo

2007 Brandon Meriweather

2006 Laurence Maroney

2005 Logan Mankins

2004 Vince Wilfork

2004 Ben Watson

2003 Ty Warren

2002 Daniel Graham

2001 Richard Seymour

Ravens 1st rounders since promoting Ozzie Newsome:

2008 Joe Flacco

2007 Ben Grubbs

2006 Haloti Ngata

2005 Mark Clayton

2003 Terrell Suggs

2003 Kyle Boller

2002 Ed Reed

2001 Todd Heap

2000 Jamal Lewis

2000 Travis Taylor

1999 Chris McAlister

1998 Duane Starks

1997 Peter Boulware

1996 Jonathan Ogden

1996 Ray Lewis

Not sure where you're getting that 50% mark from. I think the league's best executives can clearly put the majority of their 1st round picks to good use. If we're going to compete with these teams despite a small budget, 50% will not cut it.

the 50% mark is what ends up happening over the course of a period of time. All of the players you listed there are definitely not pro bowl players, which is basically what you should expect when drafting someone in the first round.

Colts: Rob Morris and Marlin Jackson were decent to good players, but not #1 talents---Gonzalez has been a good 3rd receiver, but just is not in the same discussion as Wayne or Harrison, or even Stokely when he was there. A good player to have, but a 3rd or 4th round talent right now...3 out 9 are not good picks(for the first round)

Patriots: Maroney is on the verge of bust status having gained 1600 yards in 3 years. Watson and Graham were highly touted TE's out of college, but neither has been anything on the scale of Gonzalez, Gates, or Heap and are average at best. Meriweather is starting to come into his own, but many were questioning his abilities last year. 3/9 are not good picks

Ravens: Taylor and Clayton just are nowhere near 1st round talents. Neither is Boller. Duane Starks was decent, but not a 1st round talent either. 4/15 are not good picks.

These teams are seemingly doing better than the 50% mark, but I will bet over the course of time they will fall back to that rate...

All of the players you listed there are definitely not pro bowl players, which is basically what you should expect when drafting someone in the first round.

Are you nuts? There's no assumption that a first round pick should be a pro bowler, otherwise we'd have the entire pro bowl roster turning over every other year. Top five pick should be perennial pro bowlers, maybe even top 10, but 32 new pro bowlers every season or else somebody f'ed up? Really?

You look at the pick a team made, and then look if there was another reasonable option that would be better. That's your success rate.

These teams are seemingly doing better than the 50% mark, but I will bet over the course of time they will fall back to that rate...

Ozzie Newsome has directed player personnel there for 13 years, and he's drafted 15 players in the first round. That might be long enough to prove the ceiling is higher than 1 out of 2.