Is Perry Fewell the Problem?

H2o

I don't care what anyone says about Fewell but please say these things within the context of knowing we play C-2 no more than 25% of the time. Every time we saw 3-wide or more we were automatically precluded from playing C-2. Add in the other situations that arise and you see just how little we DID play that formation.

GO BILLS!!!

While I agree with you its the poor play upfront, I disagree its our DT's fault. Our interior D played a lot better and was quite a bit more effective before Schobel went down. In fact, if I am not mistaken, we were top 5 in the league agaisnt the run when we were 5-1 after facing some pretty good running teams. Schobel is one of the best DE in the league against the run, plus he draws extra attention on the pass rush making life easier on our DT's.

Once we lost any real threat outside, it allowed them to give more attention to the middle making our interior line less effective.

We get a good DE on the other side of Schobel then it will make a real big difference. Throw in a LB who can wreak havoc for the QB and get in there as well, and we have one of the better D's in the league as our secondary is pretty solid when healthy, although a upgrade a safety to pair with Whitner would also be a welcomed addition.

The knock on Schobel has always been that he was not good against the run and was only a pass rusher. Go back in time on The Stadium Wall and see what's been said about him. He also has been accused of not being but so great of a pass rusher at times because he would have 3 or 4 multiple sack games a season and be non existent in the rest. People have "ripped him a new one" on this board at times as well.

Now about Fewell and the running of the Tampa 2. He could come up with some kind of blitzing schemes or line stunts that could atleast try and confuse the offensive lines causing a breakdown somewhere. He doesn't do it much at all. All the other Tampa 2 schemes that I've seen blitz alot more. The Colts, Bears, Bucs, all of them blitz more. You can argue "we don't have the personell" all you want, but he could still make an effort to put new wrinkles in the gameplan.

We all have our complaints about DJ. But is the real problem, with our defense atleast, Perry Fewell? Maybe the axe should fall on this guy. We all see the way he's run this "Tampa 2" over the past couple of years. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not creative with his blitzes or line stunts and his play calling is garbage at best. He has the corners play too far off of their man which allows the opposing offense easy completions. I don't care who we have out there playing corner you cannot cover an out, post, or hook route 10 yards off of the WR. I know I'm not the only one to notice because others have talked about it as well. I think we should bring in another Defensive Cordinator who specializes in the Tampa 2 to do something with this defense if we're not going to switch to anything else.

FWIW - I feel he has taken a few steps backwards. I see few Bills' games - but I do read the newspapers, read the stories the snapshot summaries.

I never came across verbiage that talkled about an aggressive Bills' defense doing this or that, to change a game.

I don't think Fewell is the issue we went from the bottom of the league in Defensive rankings last year to middle of the pack. Pretty good job with the lack of pass rush and injuries we faced again this year. Other than absolutely hating the scheme we play, my only real complaint is that the D starts off way too slow. Teams push us all over the field and it takes this coaching staff too long to make in-game adjustments.This allows other teams to jump to early leads making it harder for a young offense like ours to overcome.

Lack of turnovers hurt as well but I will attribute that to the pass rush. Once we get a decent pass rush I think you will see those numbers improve.

We all have our complaints about DJ. But is the real problem, with our defense atleast, Perry Fewell? Maybe the axe should fall on this guy. We all see the way he's run this "Tampa 2" over the past couple of years. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not creative with his blitzes or line stunts and his play calling is garbage at best. He has the corners play too far off of their man which allows the opposing offense easy completions. I don't care who we have out there playing corner you cannot cover an out, post, or hook route 10 yards off of the WR. I know I'm not the only one to notice because others have talked about it as well. I think we should bring in another Defensive Cordinator who specializes in the Tampa 2 to do something with this defense if we're not going to switch to anything else.

YES, he is at least a large part of the problem. bend but don't break = lose.

YES, he is at least a large part of the problem. bend but don't break = lose.

I disagree with that- lots of teams win with bend-don't break defenses. Problem is that we break too often because of inadequate personnel. We won four straight AFC championships with that philosophy

We have one viable DE and one viable DT........how can you expect him to scheme around that?

Twenty bucks says several of our defensive players would play much better in a defense that was better coached. Fewell's D consistantly got torched by short slants and passes over the middle and how many times did the D give up 7-9 minute drives in the 4th quarter? How many times did Fewell even attempt to change the scheme when his defense was getting shredded?

There is a very real possibility that the defense played as well as it did in spite of Fewell, not because of him.

I don't think Fewell is the issue we went from the bottom of the league in Defensive rankings last year to middle of the pack. Pretty good job with the lack of pass rush and injuries we faced again this year. Other than absolutely hating the scheme we play, my only real complaint is that the D starts off way too slow. Teams push us all over the field and it takes this coaching staff too long to make in-game adjustments.This allows other teams to jump to early leads making it harder for a young offense like ours to overcome.

Lack of turnovers hurt as well but I will attribute that to the pass rush. Once we get a decent pass rush I think you will see those numbers improve.

Good point. How many times did Buffalo's D give up opening drive TD's? You could just about bet on that in the 2nd half of the season. What are these guys, ice cold engines that need to warm up?

our defensive players are just not that good.

I believe the Tampa 2 is simply a flawed scheme. This is especially the case in the AFC East, more so in Buffalo, where you know you are likely to be playing in late season weather conditions that demand you stop the run. The Hurricane conditions in the final NE game this year are not likely to be experiienced every year but the Ralph always has tricky wind conditions. You stop the run game in Buffalo you greatly improve your chances of winning.