Cincy Enquirer's Mark Curnutte

stuckincincy

Curnutte was an excellent football reporter - very much a "just the facts, Ma'am" type - no inflammatory rhetoric, had fine insight about the team he covered and the NFL in general. I've linked his columns here with some frequency through the years.

A long-time newsman, he is moving over to local coverage and likely, feature articles.

My speculation is that the implosion of Gannett somehow enters into the change.

I personally wish him well. His final sports page column:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009010...0414/1078/COL02

Curnutte was an excellent football reporter - very much a "just the facts, Ma'am" type - no inflammatory rhetoric, had fine insight about the team he covered and the NFL in general. I've linked his columns here with some frequency through the years.

A long-time newsman, he is moving over to local coverage and likely, feature articles.

My speculation is that the implosion of Gannett somehow enters into the change.

I personally wish him well. His final sports page column:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009010...0414/1078/COL02

The recent chain-wide job cuts may have created the cityside opening he's moving to, but I have no reason to disbelieve Mark's explanation. A friend, offered that very same job a long time ago -- talking decades, not years, here -- decided to stay where he was instead of signing up for the soul-sucking grind of a pro beat.

Sounds like he's making the right move, and by his own choice -- something few people in our industry can claim right now. I, too, wish him the best.

On a related note, his sadness about leaving the press room for the final time hits home, and leads me to mention a kindness by the Bills organization. They invited Scott Pitoniak to the season finale at the Ralph, so he could watch one last game from his old seat next to Sal and Leo in the press box. Applause to Scott Berchtold, or whoever came up with the idea, for a classy move.

(If only the team had given him a game worth watching as a going-away present ... )