Kids and politics

In case you've forgotten in your haste to be exercise your nasty gene, the discussion was about kids and their political opinions and where they learned them.

I happened to be very aware of politics at age 12 because it was so in my household.  And I cared.  Just because you may not have known at that age (and to this day) doesn't mean I shouldn't.

I can imagine what you were doing at the same age - didn't they tell you that causes pimples and blindness?

92250[/snapback]

Did you ever get sick of all those people touching you with ten foot poles?

have your hubby and daughter been feuding over other things besides politics? she may just be using the election as ammo for another part of a passing teenage rebellion or assertion of independence

i'd sit her down and explain to her that this is america. we're all entitled to our opinions and political views. just because she disagrees with her dad on politics is no reason to affect their personal relationship. i mean in my family my dad is a reagan democrat retiree voting for kerry, my brother a country club conservative academic voting for bush, and i'm an apathetic libertarian gen-x'er voting for badnaraik. we'll talk politics, disagree over some stuff and maybe get into a good argument. but in the end, we're family and love each other other and we're americans and respect each others right to hold different views

92086[/snapback]

Well put. They still get along, but my daughter just said that she thinks Bush is comparable to Hitler! Now, that's a little too much!

They still get along, but my daughter just said that she thinks Bush is comparable to Hitler!  Now, that's a little too much!

92737[/snapback]

Sounds like she has been reading this board.

These were mostly the liberal arts profs; the science and economics profs were a bit more conservative.  This wouldn't be a problem if more conservative views were tolerated, but at many colleges and universities they aren't.

91726[/snapback]

that seems to be the general trend...if you study econ and know your stevestojan, you're not going to blame the president for the country's economic woes

as far as I know, most physicists, chemists and engineers I know are all conservative...the liberal scientists seem to be he biologists involved in genetics but i suspect that is more recent and has something to do with funding for stem cell research...