Bills can have tons of cap room for free agents with only a few moves

Chuckknox

1. Why the "gloved one" reference? It seems to me that TE will never get a fair shake in this town

Fair shake? Every time Edwards gets ANY kind of shake he ends up on the injury report. I like Edwards talent, but you can't put all your eggs in the basket of a guy who has missed so many games, to so many injuries in so many seasons dating back 6 years now. It's troublesome and naturally the perception is that he is fragile, therefore soft, therefore needs to wear gloves in the cold, etc..

Some teams need a good backup in case their QB misses a game or two, the Bills really need a guy who can start 4-6 games.....which essentially calls for a true starting quality backup. Jeff Garcia?

What's more, I think people need to wise up to the changing NFL. Four years ago, the Bills traded Travis Henry for a pick they later threw in the garbage because they were working under the archaic notion that you can't have two top backs splitting carries. Now the league is owned by teams who share carries. I think that nowadays, if your QB is too fragile mentally to handle competition for his job, then he's not cut out for the job. Keep that QB position stocked as well as possible.

Yeah, you're right about "glove wearing" QB's. Warner wears gloves on both hands when playing in a dome and he sucks big time, right? :sick:

Don't worry, after Trent wins his second NFL MVP award and a Super Bowl, like Warner has, people will forget all about his perceived softness.

I don't think DE is the biggest priority, Center and TE over both DE and LB. If the offence ever becomes somewhat of a consistent threat to score, you will see the defence improve as they will be able to be more aggressive and take some chances because they won't have to worry about playing perfect cause they know the offence can't get those points back

u didnt watch the denver game then huhh..---if cutler didnt screw up a few times we woulda lost 50-30

ummm....no. Crowell is not a legitimate MLB. He is best suited as a weak sided LB but that is where POZ should go. We need a tackling beast who can SHED blockers--something Buffalo linebacker don't seem to have.

Saying that, I would still like Crowell on my team.

Pizzaman is a fine sub...nothing more.

I wasn't suggesting moving Crowell inside. I think Poz will be fine inside with more help outside. Ellison doesn't cut it though. Poz has the right intellect for the middle and isn't fast enough to be outside anyway.

Schobel Kelsay Denney lose them . There that should give us a little cap room. A fresh start with new DEs could not be any worse. Two new DE`s (sorry no more high motor W boys) . One #2 W.R., upgrade at Te. New outside backer or move Poz outside and Draft or pick-up a new MLB. Not Too much to ask.

I am no capologist but when you let a guy go who has a long term contract that is amortized, isn't all the cap money allocated to future years of the contract accelerated and all dumped onto the year where you let him go? I know you if you do it late enough that the accelerated hit is deferred to the following year but that just delays the hit to your cap though it stems the long term bleeding.

Our needs by priority:

1. A big run-stuffing MLB so we can move Poz outside. Poz is a good blitzer and needs room to roam. Would make a huge difference. I don't think Crowell would be the answer, but I would still resign him as he is a good player and somewhat of a playmaker. I was a big supporter of Ellison, but after a somewhat stellar rookie season, he has has shown virtually nothing.

I personally don't get why so many people think going outside is magically going to make (what I see as) Poz's deficiencies magically go away - running as if in wet cement, getting pushed 15 yds out of plays by linemen, initially reading the play poorly and being out of position, and sometimes seeming like he just doesn't want to finish or even be involved in a play.

I think what he needs more is a healthy dose of film study and MLB 101, work on his agility/speed and fundamentals like leverage and shedding blocks, and maybe even a more 'killer' attitude out on the field...

I gotz 3 words for you regarding the Bills and Free agency... "CASH TO CAP". That's code for "we ain't spendin schitt"... and if we do, we're going grade B and C... that's our "A" list.

Don't worry... the Bills front office will be stirring up a fresh batch of Koolaid by March. This year, they will probably hand out free cups too.

i think your wrong on this one. i think by keeping DJ they are taking one run @ this thing and will be players in this years free agency. somehow they have to get birk out of minny bad and then draft that kid from cal to groom behind him.

bad thing is that the dolphins have also targeted birk so its going to be costly.

then they need a TE and OLB and a pass rusher either LB or DE.

obviously free agency will determine where we go in the draft and i very confident in Modrak in regards to that.

1. Why the "gloved one" reference? It seems to me that TE will never get a fair shake in this town because he replaced Trash boy. How many games did Braniac win in his absence?

2. Great--we are talking about a complimentary receiver to our #2 who averages under 10 yard a game. Nothing against Reed. He's excellent in his role but c'mon...

3. A "few?" I didn't realize we can just pluck these guys off trees.

Also--I also don't understand the hate towards Denney. At least he made plays.

Kelsay is the useless overpaid one.

Our needs by priority:

1. A big run-stuffing MLB so we can move Poz outside. Poz is a good blitzer and needs room to roam. Would make a huge difference. I don't think Crowell would be the answer, but I would still resign him as he is a good player and somewhat of a playmaker. I was a big supporter of Ellison, but after a somewhat stellar rookie season, he has has shown virtually nothing.

2. A center-we need to sign one in free agency to start NOW and draft one in the middle rounds for the future.

3. DE-Schoebel is done, is a feather weight, and basically before he was hurt, he stunk anyway.

Kelsay needs to disappear. He does a lot more talking than producing. Never seen a more non-productive player who has so much to say.

4. TE-Personally, I think the Schouman/Fine tandem will be just ...ahh fine. Both have good hands, and Fine seems to find seams in the defense to get open. I would sign one in FA--not the draft unless a player fell to us.

5. DT- Yes, this is an ongoing theme. Marcus Stroud has sadly regressed to an average starter who shows flashes at times. Kyle Williams, to me, is solid. John McCargo needs a life changing epiphany.

6. WR-Another ongoing theme mostly because Roscoe can't catch. Too bad. Too early to tell, but I don't think Hardy is aggressive enough to play in this league. He needs to take some of that domestic hostility out onto the field. Maybe he should imagine every DB in his mind is his step-father holding a gun. I expect to see Steve Johnson make strides next year. Hopefully, Turk can work him into the offense.

7. Back-up QB-we didn't have one this year, so lets get a veteran who holds onto the ball when common sense becomes paramount. Actually, this priority should be switched with TE.

8. I would resign Greer and move McGee to FS. McGee was built to play safety--very fast, great instincts with a nose for the ball, and a good aggressive tackler...everything Mr. "I'm won't be worth millions next year because my ass got cut" isn't. But if that doesn't work out, we should probably draft a FS in the mid rounds anyway.

9. FB-That guy we have now can't catch, can't run and basically is a waste of a roster spot.

its amaizing all the disrespect for schoebel. anyone notice after his injury our pass rush totally disappeared. teams game planned for schoebel and that opens up other players he is a vital part of our rush and a grat player. its to bad that the only people who seem to know this are the other teams in the NFL and not the fans in buffalo.

believe me if he ever hit the open market he wouldnt last 3 days.

its amaizing all the disrespect for schoebel. anyone notice after his injury our pass rush totally disappeared. teams game planned for schoebel and that opens up other players he is a vital part of our rush and a grat player. its to bad that the only people who seem to know this are the other teams in the NFL and not the fans in buffalo.

believe me if he ever hit the open market he wouldnt last 3 days.

Seconded. My concern with Schoebel is that he is not getting any younger and who knows if he can ever regain his previous form.

Having said this, we do need a good pass-rushing DE desperately, prefably to replace Kelsay who has regressed since he signed that contract.

TE, IMO, does not have the tools to be a starting QB on a weekly basis in this league. I like the guy and hope he does well but watching him week in and week out, he frustrates me. I just don't think he can handle the rigours of being an NFL quarterback. I still think the coaches tie his hands too much but after the hit in Arizona, he was coddled even more. If he had the balls to play QB, he would have been able to change some of the calls that came in from the sidelines. Sorry to say but TE isn't the future QB of this team if they WANT to win. (which is another discussion all together)

But it is not your opinion that matters. It is the opinion of the braintrust at OBD that TE is the QB of the future. Let's focus on things that will realistically get done . . .