Ralph Wilson,does he care?

I just don't it, I just don't get how the Buffalo Bills owner can look at his team and be satisfied given its current status of 3 years at 7-9

As fans we are guessing as to why Ralph Wilson does what he does,only he really knows what he is thinking. My guess is that he is looking at the team in a superficial manor with out really delving into the whys and what happened.If the teams wins he is happy,if they lose he is not happy, kinda simple huh?

I can't be impressed with that Bills win at Denver because the Bronco's had one of the worst defenses in the NFL,Cutler had some really bad throws and lady luck was on Buffalo's side that day with the turnovers. I'd imagine Wilson was giddy though because the Bills hadn't beaten the Bronco's in mile high in forever.The Bills were out gained in that game by Denver 275 to 532 total yards.I'd be happy with the win but not the performance.

We are left to think Wilson is age 90 and the AVG life expectancy in the US is about 77 or so.Most of the people I know that even make it to retirement age,retire and die before hitting 77. so from my perspective 90 is more then pushing the envelope.

Stating that, I just don't understand as an owner why he just doesn't want to go all out at this point and mortgage the team to bring in the very best talent in coaches players and front office personnel to win a super bowl championship?

He is the sole owner of a 800+ million dollar franchise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...10/daily46.html

To me I'd rather pass through this life knowing that my team was a winner,if only for one season. That I owned a team that had won a super bowl,a world championship!!!

I just don't it, I just don't get how the Buffalo Bills owner can look at his team and be satisfied given its current status of 3 years at 7-9

As fans we are guessing as to why Ralph Wilson does what he does,only he really knows what he is thinking. My guess is that he is looking at the team in a superficial manor with out really delving into the whys and what happened.If the teams wins he is happy,if they lose he is not happy, kinda simple huh?

I can't be impressed with that Bills win at Denver because the Bronco's had one of the worst defenses in the NFL,Cutler had some really bad throws and lady luck was on Buffalo's side that day with the turnovers. I'd imagine Wilson was giddy though because the Bills hadn't beaten the Bronco's in mile high in forever.The Bills were out gained in that game by Denver 275 to 532 total yards.I'd be happy with the win but not the performance.

We are left to think Wilson is age 90 and the AVG life expectancy in the US is about 77 or so.Most of the people I know that even make it to retirement age,retire and die before hitting 77. so from my perspective 90 is more then pushing the envelope.

Stating that, I just don't understand as an owner why he just doesn't want to go all out at this point and mortgage the team to bring in the very best talent in coaches players and front office personnel to win a super bowl championship?

He is the sole owner of a 800+ million dollar franchise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...10/daily46.html

To me I'd rather pass through this life knowing that my team was a winner,if only for one season. That I owned a team that had won a super bowl,a world championship!!!

Where does it say he is satisfied? You can disagree, but he thinks this is the best way forward. That's a long way from satisfied.

And as for why he doesn't mortgage the team:

1) It has been shown over and over that this doesn't necessarily win.

2) He's a business owner. A successful one. He got that way by not doing stupid things. As a business owner, I can tell you that mortgaging your business is stupid. It's the reason lots of businesses are failing all around us, in case you hadn't noticed.

Where does it say he is satisfied? You can disagree, but he thinks this is the best way forward. That's a long way from satisfied.

2) He's a business owner. A successful one. He got that way by not doing stupid things. As a business owner, I can tell you that mortgaging your business is stupid. It's the reason lots of businesses are failing all around us, in case you hadn't noticed.

I understand the reasons as to why his franchise makes money,he is floating a team in a very small market,your not telling me anything new. He is also saving a ton by not hiring a GM and keeping himself as president of the team.

As for the mortgage part,if he didn't want to borrow against the team he could start by selling part of the team to Jim Kelly and the real Thurman Thomas. People who have stated that they will keep the team in Buffalo. Rather then if he suddenly dies and they cannot raise the money quickly enough and the team goes elsewhere,like LA.

He could also sell the naming rights to the stadium to an outside source for millions a season,that would offset some costs to absorb bringing in new coaches, players and FO personnel.

What I don't get and never will is, given the probable short window on his lifespan can you honestly tell me that he is "satisfied" with the thought that Dick Jauron and his crew are going to get this team to a super bowl and win it?

The fact is the NFL is a monopoly that doesn't have to worry about competition and the marketplace. And no matter how much the small market owners cry about the revenue sharing system the fact is no NFL franchise is losing money. The Bills are easily cash flow positive and while they do not make a profit at the level of some of the larger market teams , Mr. Wilson is certainly not losing money each season.

The growing perception is he simply does not care about winning. If it happens fine, if not, oh well he's still making multi-millions per year on his initial investment of around $35,000 (I think it was this amount to buy the original franchise). And he's content to play on the loyalties of Bills fans. Counting on them to continue to 'buy' his product, regardless of the results on the field. Betting the sting of the decision to bring back an extremely unpopular and ineffective coach will be forgotten once the draft, training camp, and the season begins.

And the results on the field start in the front office before the season even begins. Look at his 'inner circle'. The treasurer, a marketing guy elevated to psuedo-GM, and a part time personnel guy who won't even live in Buffalo when the position would seem to require a 24 by 7 mentality. I'm sure they are all competent in their perspective nitches but are they up to the task of running an NFL front office, finding players, and coaches to build a winner? So far the results say a big no on this one.

So while I agree money isn't eveything having top notch football people is. That is what we need - a front office team that can go punch-for-punch with NE, NY, and Miami. Its clear we don't have that and the owner seems content with that situation. As a 30+ year loyal Bills fan that is what disturbs me, much more than the results on the field for 2008. I cannot see how 2009 will not be a repeat of 2008 if nothing changes at the top where it counts the most.

I think the Donahoe era was his last attempt at grabbing that elusive glory. Once that fizzled I think his competitiveness died with it.

I agree with this 100%. At this point I think Ralph he is guided by a few key principles:

1) Do NOT trust your organization to any outside football people (those not already in the organization - i.e., your control).

2) Make all key decisions yourself, surrounded by a few puppets who do your bidding and give the appearance of football wisdom to the public.

3) Run the team in a fiscally sound manner and hope you stumble upon success.

3a) Bargain coaches & contracts - NO CONTRACT BUY-OUTS!

3b) Cash to cap

3c) The NFL league-wide salary cap does not dictate the size of our payroll - the team's P&L statement does!

3d) Sign up and coming free agents - NEVER pay for a name player past his prime unless you get a deal (plenty of Spencer Johnsons, no Brett Favres).

4) The stakes of the NFL poker game are too rich for my blood now, so I'll play out the string with the same organization and philosophies, until the fans make me do otherwise as a result of plummeting revenues.

Satisfied isn't the correct word. I'm sure he would rather the team does well than not, so he's not happy that it is going in the wrong direction.

He's resigned to the fact that the organization is what it is. The buyout of Jauron wouldn't even really be that expensive in comparison to others; estimates are about $7-8M to buy out the coaches. Is this the same owner that fired Wade Phillips, with a winning record, over a quarrel about the structure of his coaching staff? He's given Jauron total control over his staff and a large voice in football operations. It begs the question: Why Jauron? His track record is poor at best.

Ralph has lost his nerve. He was burned by Donahoe, spurned by Mularkey, Levy exiting stage left in the first act, and he prematurely shot his wad to re-sign a head coach that nobody else would have wanted anyway. He has surrounded himself with bean counters and marketing guys in his inner egg. Unsurprisingly, the business side seems to be the focus.

I agree with this 100%. At this point I think Ralph he is guided by a few key principles:

1) Do NOT trust your organization to any outside football people (those not already in the organization - i.e., your control).

2) Make all key decisions yourself, surrounded by a few puppets who do your bidding and give the appearance of football wisdom to the public.

3) Run the team in a fiscally sound manner and hope you stumble upon success.

3a) Bargain coaches & contracts - NO CONTRACT BUY-OUTS!

3b) Cash to cap

3c) The NFL league-wide salary cap does not dictate the size of our payroll - the team's P&L statement does!

3d) Sign up and coming free agents - NEVER pay for a name player past his prime unless you get a deal (plenty of Spencer Johnsons, no Brett Favres).

4) The stakes of the NFL poker game are too rich for my blood now, so I'll play out the string with the same organization and philosophies, until the fans make me do otherwise as a result of plummeting revenues.

You got it! The method of building a winner has passed Ralph a long time ago. Until Ralph passes, we will not win.