From a MAC Observer

Lv-Bills

If you put UB in the big east they would probably be pretty low on the totum pole most years behind WV, Pitt, Cincy, Rutgers, South Florida, Uconn. Can not see them competing on a regular basis with these schools. The stadium is not up to big east standards & would be one of the worst game day atmospheres in the league. Whoever designed this stadium was an idiot imo. The stands are way too far back for the fans to make any noise. & at least to the games I went to this year, only the one lower corner was filled by the student section. You have 30,000 students going to that school & you could only fill the one lower corner out of the stands. I doubt they would put games at the Ralph. That is not even close to any of the campuses. In the basketball, they would have trouble winning 4 games a year with Big East stacked the way it is now. I know they gave Uconn all they could handle earlier this year, but really their bball program is nowhere near most of the schools in the big east.

UB is a long way away from being ready to compete in a league like the big east imo.

They would be at the bottom of the league, for a while...that's for sure. But, I think they might beat Syracuse, on occasion. And Rutgers shows that a team can go from the basement to a contender in that conference, in fairly rapid fashion.

They would be at the bottom of the league, for a while...that's for sure. But, I think they might beat Syracuse, on occasion. And Rutgers shows that a team can go from the basement to a contender in that conference, in fairly rapid fashion.

I could buy that. I really do not think SU is going to be on the bottom too much longer in football though. maybe it is just wishfull thinking on my part but for those that do not follow SU closely, you really have no idea how bad G Robinson was as a head coach. He could not of f*cked this program up anymore then he did.

If UB went to the Big East for football, as long as UB has Turner Gill as coach, they will rise pretty quickly. In the meantime I'm hoping Syracuse gets bowl eligible in 2009 and winds up in the International Bowl with UB. That would be sick! 40,000? The place would sell out!

PTR

If UB went to the Big East for football, as long as UB has Turner Gill as coach, they will rise pretty quickly. In the meantime I'm hoping Syracuse gets bowl eligible in 2009 and winds up in the International Bowl with UB. That would be sick! 40,000? The place would sell out!

PTR

That would be awesome. There is no doubt in my mind if UB is bowl eligable next year even if they do not win the MAC the International Bowl is going to come calling again. I did not go to the game but from the reports I read the atmosphere was excellent & they had more tickets sold then several of the higher end bowls. I doubt SU will be bowl eligible next year. This program is a mess.

That would be awesome. There is no doubt in my mind if UB is bowl eligable next year even if they do not win the MAC the International Bowl is going to come calling again. I did not go to the game but from the reports I read the atmosphere was excellent & they had more tickets sold then several of the higher end bowls. I doubt SU will be bowl eligible next year. This program is a mess.

Usually bowls don't like to invite the same teams in back-to-back years but having UB made the I-bowl a lot of $$$. I can see a repeat invite. And yes, it was a fabulous event.

PTR

I agree with the original poster except for one thing. Games in the Ralph would not be a good idea. Have you ever seen Temple football games in the Eagles stadium? I've gone to a couple and even with very good crowds 25-30K, the atmosphere sucks. I'm sorry, i love UB but you're not getting 60 or 70K to any Bulls games out there unless they are playing Oklahoma or maybe a top 10 Syracuse team (that's not gonna happen for a long time either!). UB stadium is not the greatest but I'd rather see 30K packed in there than a one-third filled RWS.

As for the Big East, yeah- UB needs to strive to get into that conference. Buffalo fans are used to Pro football so they are not all that impressed with seeing Kent State and Akron every year. Teams like SU, Rutgers, WVU would be much easier sells and like you said, UB would automatically get better recruits just from being in a higher profile conference.

Also, the UB academic footprint is much better aligned with other BE schools, unlike Memphis or UCF for example.

Wow, Lv Tulsa just crushed Ball State.

That makes 0-5 for the MAC this year in bowls. What is more concerning is none of the MAC teams in bowls covered the spread this year either. Very curious & interesting.

Wow, Lv Tulsa just crushed Ball State.

I know man, Ball State really tanked at the end of the year, and the conference overall was terrible this year in bowl games. Man, I don't know what to say. But when BSU's, do nothing wrong QB all year, turns the ball over 13 times in his last two games.......geez. I'm totally baffled. It's beyond ridiculous.

I know man, Ball State really tanked at the end of the year, and the conference overall was terrible this year in bowl games. Man, I don't know what to say. But when BSU's, do nothing wrong QB all year, turns the ball over 13 times in his last two games.......geez. I'm totally baffled. It's beyond ridiculous.

Your smack talking may have put the maloche on them....

Couldn't be helping his draft rep. He may have to stay his senior year.

FYI: MAC basketball seems to be sucking the big wazoo as well. The good news is UB is going into conference play with the best record at 8-5.

PTR

Usually bowls don't like to invite the same teams in back-to-back years but having UB made the I-bowl a lot of $$$. I can see a repeat invite. And yes, it was a fabulous event.

PTR

Yep. The equation is appearance $$$ offered, reduced by the # of tix unsold at the quoted price. UB pocketed a bundle; the UB fans showed up.

I have no idea how the UConn fan's numbers were - but the camera shots of the stands displayed bunchs of their fans in attendance also.

What a performance by UConn Brown. You were there and so couldn't view, but the tv coverage showed a moment talking to his Mom. Nice stuff - Brown's draft stock has zoomed IMO. I get fatigued by all these endless bowls - but the I-Bowl was a good one. My guess is that both clubs are on the welcome list next year for bowl planners.

And a tip of my hat to you, PTR. Your advocacy for UB ball is of long-standing, and deserves recognition. :w00t:

LOL. You may be right. I just wanted to talk some smack to drum up interest. Seriously though, I think the loss of Dante Love caught up to them. I know most people here don't know Dante Love, but he dominated the MAC as much as Michael Crabtree dominated the nation. When you remove a superstar like that, it's tough to recover.

I was suprised that BSU continued to survive as long as they did without Love, but man, they were flat out awful their last two games.

Couldn't be helping his draft rep. He may have to stay his senior year.

FYI: MAC basketball seems to be sucking the big wazoo as well. The good news is UB is going into conference play with the best record at 8-5.

PTR

Yeah, this is the worst part of the MAC. This used to be what the MAC held it's hat on. I don't know what the hell happened to the MAC in bball. From 1988-1999, the MAC almost had teams in the sweet sixteen every year. And these were multiple teams. Ball State, Miami, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, and Ohio. Some of you may remember that Ball State was coached by Rick Majerus and Dick Hunsaker, and they took them to the sweet sixteen and they lost by 2 to UNLV. Ball State took an open three at the buzzer and missed it while losing 69-67. UNLV went on to whip Duke in the national championship game by 30. THen, Kent made the run to the final eight and also made it to the sweet sixteen in the early 2000's.

For about the last 4 years or so, the MAC has fallen off the map in bball. It really sucks, because for awhile, the MAC was considered about the 9th best conference out of a then 33 in the nation for years.

Strange.

Yep. The equation is appearance $$$ offered, reduced by the # of tix unsold at the quoted price. UB pocketed a bundle; the UB fans showed up.

I have no idea how the UConn fan's numbers were - but the camera shots of the stands displayed bunchs of their fans in attendance also.

What a performance by UConn Brown. You were there and so couldn't view, but the tv coverage showed a moment talking to his Mom. Nice stuff - Brown's draft stock has zoomed IMO. I get fatigued by all these endless bowls - but the I-Bowl was a good one. My guess is that both clubs are on the welcome list next year for bowl planners.

And a tip of my hat to you, PTR. Your advocacy for UB ball is of long-standing, and deserves recognition. :rolleyes:

I hope the MAC can stay affiliated with this bowl. The Internaional bowl has appeal because it's a chance for people to see the American Game and of course, it's a nice city for the two teams' fan to travel to.

This game, for a ho-hum nationally appealing matchup has already done well before UB got there. The first year for the bowl drew 27,000. Last year, it drew 32,000. This year it drew 40,000. UB obvoiusly helped, but the game is actually getting it's legs under it pretty well already. Especially for having ties to the MAC and the BCS weakling Big East.

I think this is a fantastic bowl for the MAC, but let's just hope it isn't too successful in the near future to cut ties with the MAC and switch to a bigger conference.