From a MAC Observer

Lv-Bills

should be in the Big East. Just as a side note, I could care less about the Big East or UB, but I do follow MAC football closely. So, here we are today in a classic "who cares" bowl game that drew 40,000 plus fans between two northeastern cities. THis bowl game had more crowd enthusiasm and energy than 75% of most on the non-bcs games. THis game was pretty much just as well attended too.

To those who think UB couldn't add to the Big East are crazy. If UB could get in, they would double their home crowds almost immediately. They could play all, or a portion of their games at the Ralph, and raise ticket prices to pay coaches. A schedule with Pitt, Cincy, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and most important their natural rival Syracuse would be off the hook. I think UB, especially if the Bills were to keep struggling and eventually leave, could become another Cincinnati in a few years, and surpass what Syracuse has done in the past within 5 years.

For the Big East, they would pick up a HUGE TV market that would turn into a great college town, IMO. Buffalo already fits that with the Bills. They would also add another NFL facility to their league. They would have games pitting teams where visiting fans would be able to travel easily to Buffalo for games. As a BCS school, UB would be able to attract some mighty big non conference games to RWS, and dare I say, sellout games. Taking say, a 2 for 1 deal with a Penn State type of team would give UB a game with 73,000 fans every 1 out of 3 years at the Ralph.

UB would rise to prominance quickly, IMO. THis post has nothing to do with UB's recent success in football. Nobody really still takes the MAC seriously even if a team is having a great year. And, wIth the way the MAC has shown this year in it's bowls, UB would most likely be average at best in this year's Big East. BUT, they fit the Big East, and I think it would be cool if they made a run at it. They could also then recruit as a BCS school.

I think the city of Buffalo would embrace the Bulls if they entered the Big East. It would also add yet another needed shot of money to it's local economy.

I, for one, hope the best for UB if they ever try to enter the Big East!

should be in the Big East. Just as a side note, I could care less about the Big East or UB, but I do follow MAC football closely. So, here we are today in a classic "who cares" bowl game that drew 40,000 plus fans between two northeastern cities. THis bowl game had more crowd enthusiasm and energy than 75% of most on the non-bcs games. THis game was pretty much just as well attended too.

To those who think UB couldn't add to the Big East are crazy. If UB could get in, they would double their home crowds almost immediately. They could play all, or a portion of their games at the Ralph, and raise ticket prices to pay coaches. A schedule with Pitt, Cincy, WVU, Louisville, Rutgers and most important their natural rival Syracuse would be off the hook. I think UB, especially if the Bills were to keep struggling and eventually leave, could become another Cincinnati in a few years, and surpass what Syracuse has done in the past within 5 years.

For the Big East, they would pick up a HUGE TV market that would turn into a great college town, IMO. Buffalo already fits that with the Bills. They would also add another NFL facility to their league. They would have games pitting teams where visiting fans would be able to travel easily to Buffalo for games. As a BCS school, UB would be able to attract some mighty big non conference games to RWS, and dare I say, sellout games. Taking say, a 2 for 1 deal with a Penn State type of team would give UB a game with 73,000 fans every 1 out of 3 years at the Ralph.

UB would rise to prominance quickly, IMO. THis post has nothing to do with UB's recent success in football. Nobody really still takes the MAC seriously even if a team is having a great year. And, wIth the way the MAC has shown this year in it's bowls, UB would most likely be average at best in this year's Big East. BUT, they fit the Big East, and I think it would be cool if they made a run at it. They could also then recruit as a BCS school.

I think the city of Buffalo would embrace the Bulls if they entered the Big East. It would also add yet another needed shot of money to it's local economy.

Not so sure that they have to play in the Big East but my hope for Buffalo is that if the Bills do depart that UB will have a strong progem in place. Having lived in Knoxville I can tell you that a great college game atmosphere would be right up Buffalo's alley. Tailgating traditions could continue as could all of the other fan fun.

As a Cincinnati fan (and season ticket holder), as well as a supporter of Big East teams in bowl games, I'd welcome the addition of UB. Another school would be needed as well, which is the difficult part of the equation, in my mind. Central Florida and Memphis are 2 that are brought up, but I think that both are mid major schools with no hope of bringing anything to the table (in football, at least). Perhaps ECU...

As a Cincinnati fan (and season ticket holder), as well as a supporter of Big East teams in bowl games, I'd welcome the addition of UB. Another school would be needed as well, which is the difficult part of the equation, in my mind. Central Florida and Memphis are 2 that are brought up, but I think that both are mid major schools with no hope of bringing anything to the table (in football, at least). Perhaps ECU...

Cincinnati was a mid major nobody just a short time ago with seemingly nothing to offer and they are now starting to blossom. They still haven't really turned the corner yet, despite this years bowl game vs. Tech, but this most likely has let people know they are in D-1 to stay as a serious player. THey have to do it again, IMO, if they will be taken seriously. THe Big East is still pretty weak right now, and so was Tech, and Cincy lost. However, CIncy is blossoming now as we speak. UB could do the same. Like UB, CIncy already has a great coach, also from the MAC. Central Florida would be a huge boost and would also blossom in the Big East, while giving S Fla a major rivalry game. Central Florida also has a good stadium, and are on the verge of exploding should they ever get into a BCS conference. I don't know much about Memphis as a football school, but I do know that while Central Fla was in the MAC, they had a very aggressive and committed athletic dept to move to a bigger conference.

Marshall would maybe be a decent add, as they already draw well despite having a relatively non-attractive schedule every year. They would fit with WVU pretty well. But I'm thinking UB and C Fla would bode well for the Big East at the present.

Marshall would maybe be a decent add, as they already draw well despite having a relatively non-attractive schedule every year. They would fit with WVU pretty well. UMASS needs to get a D-1 football program like UCONN did. That would work well. But I'm thinking UB and C Fla would bode well for the Big East at the present.

I believe that member schools have veto power. If this is the case, then I don't think that WVU would ever allow Marshall. Possibly same w/ USF and Central Florida.

I can't see SU blocking UB, as that could become a GREAT rivalry.

Regardless, the Big East needs to add 2 schools and a championship game to kill some of the talk that it is undeserving of a BCS auto bid.

The sad part is the Big East already has a school in place that plays football but chooses not to as a part of the Big East; Notre Dame.

The conference needs to grow a set, and tell ND to play FB as a part of the Big East conference, or leave the conference all together.

There was a record crowd of 40,000+ at the I-bowl. UCONN had 5,000 at most at the game. And from talking to regular Torontonians, hardly any of them were aware of the game, so I doubt there were more than 10,000 Canadian fans there. That means Buffalo had at least 25,000 fans travel for their first bowl game. Very impressive.

You know I could see the I-bowl committee wanting Buffalo again. Can you imagine a UB/Syracuse bowl? You'd see a sold out Rogers Centre with 53,000+.

PTR

The sad part is the Big East already has a school in place that plays football but chooses not to as a part of the Big East; Notre Dame.

The conference needs to grow a set, and tell ND to play FB as a part of the Big East conference, or leave the conference all together.

Agreed. I'd simply boot them, but that won't happen.

$$$$$$$

I also agree 100%. I'm not sure why everyone continues to bow down to ND. Nobody really cares about their basketball, and their football team is becoming more irrelevant each season.

As a Notre Dame hater myself, I used to be one of those who watched just hoping they would lose. Now, I don't even care about that anymore. I haven't watched a Notre Dame game in 5 years.

I also wish the Big East would have some nuts and do this.

I believe that member schools have veto power. If this is the case, then I don't think that WVU would ever allow Marshall. Possibly same w/ USF and Central Florida.

I can't see SU blocking UB, as that could become a GREAT rivalry.

Regardless, the Big East needs to add 2 schools and a championship game to kill some of the talk that it is undeserving of a BCS auto bid.

I agree 100%.

I've been saying this for awhile now. Great, great post, and I agree with everything you said. The Big East has made no secret of the fact that they need to expand their football conference. UB is the ideal fit both geographically and demographically.

Also, the Bulls would be the perfect, natural replacement for the Bills should they relocate to Toronto or LA. For disgusted Bills fans who are already done supporting the franchise as long as Wilson is the owner, the Bulls are already the perfect solution, and I expect their attendance figures to explode next season.

I've been saying this for awhile now. Great, great post, and I agree with everything you said. The Big East has made no secret of the fact that they need to expand their football conference. UB is the ideal fit both geographically and demographically.

Also, the Bulls would be the perfect, natural replacement for the Bills should they relocate to Toronto or LA. For disgusted Bills fans who are already done supporting the franchise as long as Wilson is the owner, the Bulls are already the perfect solution, and I expect their attendance figures to explode next season.

touche.....Ideally, I would like them both though!

Can't fault your logic. I think it would be a huge boost to UB Football, and would give the Big East a shot in the arm. We have the stadium, the fan base and the team...

If you put UB in the big east they would probably be pretty low on the totum pole most years behind WV, Pitt, Cincy, Rutgers, South Florida, Uconn. Can not see them competing on a regular basis with these schools. The stadium is not up to big east standards & would be one of the worst game day atmospheres in the league. Whoever designed this stadium was an idiot imo. The stands are way too far back for the fans to make any noise. & at least to the games I went to this year, only the one lower corner was filled by the student section. You have 30,000 students going to that school & you could only fill the one lower corner out of the stands. I doubt they would put games at the Ralph. That is not even close to any of the campuses. In the basketball, they would have trouble winning 4 games a year with Big East stacked the way it is now. I know they gave Uconn all they could handle earlier this year, but really their bball program is nowhere near most of the schools in the big east.

UB is a long way away from being ready to compete in a league like the big east imo.