so how many of our horrible castoffs are enjoying

jester43

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorenbos was the reason that Lindell had a less than stellar year a few seasons ago. His snaps were all over the place, not so much wild, but inconsistent. so much so that the Bills brought in Schneck who was a HUGE upgrade himself at long snap. i remember watching Morrman did an interview about holding and how just a little inconsistency can botch up a season's worth of kicks. that was right after we brought in Schneck and Lindell returned to form.

Oh, maybe Schneck is the guy I was thinking about.....

Speaking of Colts, Bill Polian anybody? AJ Smith and much of the Bills old scouting department in San Diego.

To make us all feel a tad better---AJ did pick Norv Turner as head coach.Only he could make a .500 team out of that roster.

no thanks to them. your argument doesnt support your premise.

atlanta plays in a different division, in a different conference. our safeties werent our problem, the offense was.

do you think if we had:

lawyer milloy

coy wire

mike gandy

pat williams

antoine winfield

justin bannan

willis mcgahee (ugh)

jim leonhard

josh stamer

jon dorenbos

jason jefferson

mike schneck

mularkey

gilbride

lebau

that we WOULD be in the playoffs?

edit: ok maybe if we had that whole list. but are you saying that if we had Milloy and Wire at Safety we would be an 11-5 playoff team?

probably because if we had kept Milloy, instead of cutting him of nothing in return, we would not been compelled to draft his replacement in Whitner and could have drafted Ngata.

the Bills arrogantly created unnecessary holes by ditching the above players, and then wasted premium picks on replacng them with players with worse production.

Since the Bills are so worried about continuity, the place to start would have been with roster- isntead of gutting it to fit the magical cover-2 and offensive abortion they are running.

probably because if we had kept Milloy, instead of cutting him of nothing in return, we would not been compelled to draft his replacement in Whitner and could have drafted Ngata.

the Bills arrogantly created unnecessary holes by ditching the above players, and then wasted premium picks on replacng them with players with worse production.

Since the Bills are so worried about continuity, the place to start would have been with roster- isntead of gutting it to fit the magical cover-2 and offensive abortion they are running.

no, it was time for milloy to go. it was time for most of the Donahoe-era to go. if you cant/couldnt see that, then i dont know what team you were watching. at the time the bills were not worried about continuity, actually, they were after the exact opposite. thats usually the case when you decide to rebuild. the point of continuity as it relates to present day is so we dont start YET ANOTHER 3 year rebuilding window.

Levy came in with a plan to build a team (something Donahoe never had) and carried it out. so far, when you look at the personnel turnover, i dont think they have done a bad job. i know everyone expects to "win now" especially with much repeated examples of Miami and Atlanta, but both of those teams were in completely different situations than this team is now.

to say that the better move would have been keeping as much of the 2005 roster as possible is just wrong. maybe better choices could have been made during the rebuild, but they stuck to their plan. for that, i cant fault them.

actually, from that entire list, who do you honestly see that we should have kept?

id say Pat Williams (but that wasnt the current FO's decision). one could argue Antoine Winfield (again, not the current FO's decision). maybe Mike Gandy? but he never played at the "starting playoff LT" level for us so who knows...

thats about it really. i dont think having any of those other players would have put us into the playoffs. what do you think?

no, it was time for milloy to go. it was time for most of the Donahoe-era to go. if you cant/couldnt see that, then i dont know what team you were watching. at the time the bills were not worried about continuity, actually, they were after the exact opposite. thats usually the case when you decide to rebuild. the point of continuity as it relates to present day is so we dont start YET ANOTHER 3 year rebuilding window.

Levy came in with a plan to build a team (something Donahoe never had) and carried it out. so far, when you look at the personnel turnover, i dont think they have done a bad job. i know everyone expects to "win now" especially with much repeated examples of Miami and Atlanta, but both of those teams were in completely different situations than this team is now.

to say that the better move would have been keeping as much of the 2005 roster as possible is just wrong. maybe better choices could have been made during the rebuild, but they stuck to their plan. for that, i cant fault them.

sure there were players that had to go.

but they did not have to go all at once, immediately.

You are correct that Levy had a plan. Unfortunately that plan is seriously flawed.

Part 1 of the plan focused on wasting premium draft picks on DBs and other small players to play in a scheme which plays those DBs 10 yards off the ball. Major waste of resoruces

Part 2 of the plan guytted the team and forced the team to waste resources to fill unneeded holes.

Part 3 was the continued innoring of the OL and DL

no, it was time for milloy to go. it was time for most of the Donahoe-era to go. if you cant/couldnt see that, then i dont know what team you were watching.

Levy came in with a plan to build a team (something Donahoe never had)

I was watching a team that went 8-8 and 9-7 in two of the three seasons. Better than what we've had recently, no?

I love how fans can say things like, "Donahoe never had a plan" A bunch of front-office experts we have here. :D

I was watching a team that went 8-8 and 9-7 in two of the three seasons. Better than what we've had recently, no?

I love how fans can say things like, "Donahoe never had a plan" A bunch of front-office experts we have here. :D

Um, way to twist the facts to support your argument...8-8 and 9-7 were the two best records of the five years...it went 3-13, 8-8, 6-10, 9-7, 5-11...are you really claiming that that track record is better than 7-9, 7-9, 7-9?

Tom Donahoe was a failure, plain and simple. Say what you will about Levy, Jauron, Brandon, etc. but none of what they have or have not accomplished has no bearing on the simple fact that Tom Donahoe was, in fact, a complete failure here.

We cut him, so he sucks, remember? Everyone who was ever with the Bills (prior to 99 maybe?) sucks. SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. :D

I remember that, and thought it was overboard. He can return punts, too.

He's not terribly fast or athletic, but is smart and plays good position football. Not sure he makes the Bills roster now, though.

He's not terribly fast or athletic, but is smart and plays good position football. Not sure he makes the Bills roster now, though.

He is playing very well today.

well not after spending a major bulk of our draft and FA resources on acquiring DBs, of course there is no room.

well its pretty simple why we cut Wire - he had a serious neck injury that jeopardized his career and he was never very good otherwise.

the simple reason we cut Milloy was that we were switching to a different defense that asks Safeties to do different things.

I'm not sure why we didn't bother keeping Leonhard. They obviously liked him. At this point they clearly have little confidence in Ko.

I think our pro-scouting people aren't very good - a lot of misses.

But also those that clamor for a brand new coaching staff have to recognize that a lot of the talent that we've lost over the last decade has been because of a change in coaches and changes in scheme. Pat Williams is the most glaring example.