BEST Buffalo PIZZA

Pizza Junction is among the top pizzas in WNY, IMO. LaHacienda (Pine Avenue), Buzzy's and Ventry's (for slices) in Niagara Falls, are good, as well.

IMO, although it has declined, LaHacienda in Niagara Falls is the best pizza in the area. Pepperoni, WELL DONE, eat it there...heaven!

Mister Pizza used to be good (like a better version of LaNova), but I've only had it once since it moved, and it was just OK. Just Pizza is just OK, in my book. I'd add Santoras to that list, too. If you are explicit on how you want the pizza made, they do an OK job.

Bocce is good, but I can't eat it all the time. There used to be a Bocce knock-off that was good, too (Milano's maybe?).

Isn't there a pizzeria in WNY that uses wood fired, or coal fired, brick ovens and makes their pizzas very thin, and cooks then until the crust is blackening? I thought there was a Tuscan-style place in the area.

I'm a NF guy as well, and I used to really like Jaco's and Old Greenwalls pizza.

We were in the area for the holidays and I was suprised to see that Honey's now has a third location - the Pine Ave original, the one in front of the Factory Outlet Mall, and now the former JT Wheatfields on NF Blvd has a sign calling it "Honey's of Wheatfield."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a NF guy as well, and I used to really like Jaco's and Old Greenwalls pizza.

We were in the area for the holidays and I was suprised to see that Honey's now has a third location - the Pine Ave original, the one in front of the Factory Outlet Mall, and now the former JT Wheatfields on NF Blvd has a sign calling it "Honey's of Wheatfield."

The Pine Ave location of Honeys is long gone. It is a horrible pizzeria...but if you are really drunk late at night, and you eat it there, it passes. It is the "Canadian's choice", of course.

Old Greenwall's was good...but, that was a long time ago, no?

The Pine Ave location of Honeys is long gone. It is a horrible pizzeria...but if you are really drunk late at night, and you eat it there, it passes. It is the "Canadian's choice", of course.

Old Greenwall's was good...but, that was a long time ago, no?

:devil: I think you're right, IIRC it was the Pine Ave location that moved to the FOM area. There's a lot of that - pizzerias moving to new locations - that it's sometimes hard to keep up with what's still open or what has moved to a new location. Jaco's used to have a location right across NF Blvd from my parents' house, complete with batting cages, a mini golf course and a game room. Now I think it's a car rental place.

Old Greenwalls was just around the corner from my parents' house in the LaSalle area and we used to order from there when we still lived in WNY, which was about 7 years ago or so. No idea if it is still any good but I think it's still open - there were a couple cars in the lot when we drove by after Christmas.

I also like John's Pizza and Subs on Grand Island, but they seemed a little pricey last time we got in there.

Pizza Junction is among the top pizzas in WNY, IMO. LaHacienda (Pine Avenue), Buzzy's and Ventry's (for slices) in Niagara Falls, are good, as well.

IMO, although it has declined, LaHacienda in Niagara Falls is the best pizza in the area. Pepperoni, WELL DONE, eat it there...heaven!

Mister Pizza used to be good (like a better version of LaNova), but I've only had it once since it moved, and it was just OK. Just Pizza is just OK, in my book. I'd add Santoras to that list, too. If you are explicit on how you want the pizza made, they do an OK job.

Bocce is good, but I can't eat it all the time. There used to be a Bocce knock-off that was good, too (Milano's maybe?).

Isn't there a pizzeria in WNY that uses wood fired, or coal fired, brick ovens and makes their pizzas very thin, and cooks then until the crust is blackening? I thought there was a Tuscan-style place in the area.

Dean, if you like thin crust did you ever try Ameci's while living in the Bay Area? They use wood burning ovens and tomato sauce made from scratch in house. When I moved out here it took a while to find decent pizza. Maybe I just didn't know where to look. But over the years we have found some good places. Ameci's being one but my favorite is Sorrento's in Walnut Creek and Zacharys, which is a deep dish pizza that I also like. Totally different animal than thin slice Ameci's and middle of the road Sorrento's though. I'n not really crazy about the pasta at Amecis but I love their salads.

Dean, if you like thin crust did you ever try Ameci's while living in the Bay Area? They use wood burning ovens and tomato sauce made from scratch in house. When I moved out here it took a while to find decent pizza. Maybe I just didn't know where to look. But over the years we have found some good places. Ameci's being one but my favorite is Sorrento's in Walnut Creek and Zacharys, which is a deep dish pizza that I also like. Totally different animal than thin slice Ameci's and middle of the road Sorrento's though. I'n not really crazy about the pasta at Amecis but I love their salads.

Ameci's was my "regular" pizzeria. Really expensive...but very good. I ordered from there at least once a week.

I also really liked the pizza at Tomasso's and a relatively new place called Bar & Roman Pizza, both in North Beach.

http://tommasosnorthbeach.com/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-33071147-cinec...a-san-francisco

Cinecitta is a good place for a casual date, I think. You can split a pizza and a salad (their Ceaser salad is very good and very large) for under $20, I think. The beer and wine (usually a couple of decent Italian offerings by the glass) is reasonable, too. The crust is (usually) first class.

If you are ever hankering for a slice, while in North Beach, and don't want the garbage they serve at places like North Beach Pizza, or don't want to go the Golden Boy route, try L'Osteria del Forno. They make slices to order, and they are quite good. I've never been that impressed with a whole pie from the place, for some reason...but the slices (and the food, in general) is really good. Another good date place.

http://www.losteriadelforno.com/

Ameci's was my "regular" pizzeria. Really expensive...but very good. I ordered from there at least once a week.

I also really liked the pizza at Tomasso's and a relatively new place called Bar & Roman Pizza, both in North Beach.

http://tommasosnorthbeach.com/

http://local.yahoo.com/info-33071147-cinec...a-san-francisco

Cinecitta is a good place for a casual date, I think. You can split a pizza and a salad (their Ceaser salad is very good and very large) for under $20, I think. The beer and wine (usually a couple of decent Italian offerings by the glass) is reasonable, too. The crust is (usually) first class.

If you are ever hankering for a slice, while in North Beach, and don't want the garbage they serve at places like North Beach Pizza, or don't want to go the Golden Boy route, try L'Osteria del Forno. They make slices to order, and they are quite good. I've never been that impressed with a whole pie from the place, for some reason...but the slices (and the food, in general) is really good. Another good date place.

http://www.losteriadelforno.com/

Good info Dean. We don't really make it over to that side very often but will keep in mind next time we go over. Interesting, I went to Tommasos web site and they are closed until Jan 13 for the holidays. Any place that can afford to do that HAS to be good. Reminds me of this place in Portland, Or where my brother lives. They close for extended periods of time as well. We went there once and it was closed a few days into the new year. They also close when they run out of dough. Was on Bourdains show as well when he featured the Northwest. We still have not been there but it's supposed to be fantastic.

I worked at Pizza Junction for 3 years and will agree that it has great pizza. Another pizza joint in North Tonawanda is Good Guys pizza. The owners used to work at Pizza Junction before they left and started their own place. It is basically the same pizza, it's heavy and filling and the sauce is unbelievable. Both places also have unbelievable bleu cheese as well as solid subs. Pizza Junction's prices are absurd, but Good Guys prices are reasonable. I recommend to anyone trying something new. If you're looking for lighter pizza i would definitely agree with Buzzy's as well as Bocce's.

This needs to be moved to Off the Wall.

I always thought that the pizza in Niagara Falls was better than the pizza in the Bufftown. After living in Boston, NYC, SF, LA and now northern Florida, I think Buffalo pizza is generally, consistently OK. LaNova is the perfect example...there is really nothing special or interesting about LaNova pizza, IMO. It's better than the average pizza in most towns, though.

As I prefer an extremely thin crust, cooked in a VERY hot oven, until crisp, most Buffalo pizza just isn't my style.

New York Pizza, 160 Allen Street has such a crust. Also - please don't laugh - Gino & Joe's Pizzeria in the Main Place Mall food court. Both are quite good.

New York Pizza, 160 Allen Street has such a crust. Also - please don't laugh - Gino & Joe's Pizzeria in the Main Place Mall food court. Both are quite good.

Gino & Joe's is very underrated. They also make a great stromboli. I'll add Siena in Snyder to the list of folks who make a thin crust wood fired pizza that The Dean craves. Also, Campieri's opened on the 800 block of Main Street last year and they make a very good pizza.

Another vote for La Nova....Casi Di Pizza is pretty damn good too, although a little more erratic in quality...

This I can tell you, the worst pizzeria in Buffalo is superior to anything in Texas...some good joints have popped up, but more that NY Style...god I miss the food in Buffalo... :wallbash:

Good info Dean. We don't really make it over to that side very often but will keep in mind next time we go over. Interesting, I went to Tommasos web site and they are closed until Jan 13 for the holidays. Any place that can afford to do that HAS to be good. Reminds me of this place in Portland, Or where my brother lives. They close for extended periods of time as well. We went there once and it was closed a few days into the new year. They also close when they run out of dough. Was on Bourdains show as well when he featured the Northwest. We still have not been there but it's supposed to be fantastic.

The pizza looks great, from the pictures on the site.

Another vote for La Nova....Casi Di Pizza is pretty damn good too, although a little more erratic in quality...

This I can tell you, the worst pizzeria in Buffalo is superior to anything in Texas...some good joints have popped up, but more that NY Style...god I miss the food in Buffalo... :wallbash:

Austin has horrible pizza. There's actually a pretty good pizza joint near our house down here in SA, called Pizza Italia. Best pizza I've had outside of Buffalo, picked up a large pepperoni earlier.

Leonardi's, maybe?

It was Milano's (As confirmed by buffaloboyin ATL). Leonardi's rings a bell, too.

I think the brick oven place I was thinking of (but had never been to) was Sienna in Snyder (as mentioned by cpabob).

Austin has horrible pizza. There's actually a pretty good pizza joint near our house down here in SA, called Pizza Italia. Best pizza I've had outside of Buffalo, picked up a large pepperoni earlier.

Austin's a great place. It's hard to believe there is NO decent pizza there. Is there a Carrabba's there? The pizza there isn't bad.