Matt Birk

I would LOVE to see Peppers or even Suggs with the Bills next yea, but I have serious doubts that we will pony up enough money to get either of them. But what about Birk. If we could sign him to a two year deal with incentives, is this a possibility?

Ask yourself this: Why in the hell would a top tier FA come to Buffalo?

Because of the coach?

Because of the owner?

Because of the winning tradition?

Your turn...

Frankly, I think our strategy of being super active in free agency has not helped.

Many good teams in the league use the draft and then grab a few spot starters, back-ups, or moderately priced starters in free agency. I think we should do this, even though it might make for a less exciting offseason.

If center is a need, then let's draft one. Based strictly on a needs analysis, if we can draft and hit on DE, DT, and C on the first day of the draft, then we solve our key problems. Then maybe we go after mid-priced free agents at TE, LB, safety for depth or competition.

If center is a need, then let's draft one. Based strictly on a needs analysis, if we can draft and hit on DE, DT, and C on the first day of the draft, then we solve our key problems.

If we can do that, then we also get an award for best draft ever. How many teams hit on all three first day picks and plug all of their major holes?

The thing that I wonder is which position in the draft is known as being most NFL ready for our positions of need. Can a Center come in and be immediately effective, a TE, or a DE. To me it seems as if DE is very difficult to make an immediate impact from college to the pros. Maybe we should try to sign a veteran pass rusher and draft for other needs.

Frankly, I think our strategy of being super active in free agency has not helped.

Many good teams in the league use the draft and then grab a few spot starters, back-ups, or moderately priced starters in free agency. I think we should do this, even though it might make for a less exciting offseason.

If center is a need, then let's draft one. Based strictly on a needs analysis, if we can draft and hit on DE, DT, and C on the first day of the draft, then we solve our key problems. Then maybe we go after mid-priced free agents at TE, LB, safety for depth or competition.

Overall, I certainly agree that good players obviously have to come from somewhere and the nature of the draft is that better players tend to get drafted (and drafted in the top 10).

However with this obvious proviso, the draft is simply overrated. It is helped by the tremendous marketing which the NFL and ESPN provide for the draft as a tool for fantasy football fans.

Yep, a Peyton Manning does come along every once in a while, but the best players are more like the extreme of Tom Brady who is most notable from a draft perspective in that 30 over teams had a shot at him 5-6 times and simply passed on taking what has turned out to be the best player in football for several years until he got hurt.

Sure the Bills should emphasize the draft as a means of getting players, and sure there is some 20/20 hindsight which one can say woulda/shoulda/coulda about which player they should have taken. However, I just do not see any kind of reasonable changes which this team would have made to do a better job at drafting players since the faux pas of wasting their #4 on Mike Williams (and even this error saw the #3 choice actually taken in this draft be a disaster and the alternative best reasonable choice at LT McKinnie prove to be an idiot who while not as bad as MW was clearly also a problematic player and no walking revelation.

The problem with the draft for this team right here and right now is that it simply seems incredibly unlikely in a real world where about 50% of 1st round choices are not even gonna be starters after a year that the draft simply holds little likelihood of answering this teams problems to produce the Miami-like from 1-15 to the playoffs results we fans badly want.

The simple fact is the Bills will not need to invest in the draft or any single method as the way to build a winner, but instead have to succeed in using the multiple methods of player acquisition most likely led by the immediate payoffs of a revolutionary FA acquisition who adds value to the players already existing on this team, AND get good and lucky in the draft, AND make another Peters like hit from UDFAs and even make a key trade (where is the next Welker?) to build a winner.

Be as good as we can be in the draft, but a lead focus on this as the way we are gonna make a difference and the other methods of player acquisition are just nice things to do strikes me as a recipe for continued failure for this team.

Overall, I certainly agree that good players obviously have to come from somewhere and the nature of the draft is that better players tend to get drafted (and drafted in the top 10).

However with this obvious proviso, the draft is simply overrated. It is helped by the tremendous marketing which the NFL and ESPN provide for the draft as a tool for fantasy football fans.

Yep, a Peyton Manning does come along every once in a while, but the best players are more like the extreme of Tom Brady who is most notable from a draft perspective in that 30 over teams had a shot at him 5-6 times and simply passed on taking what has turned out to be the best player in football for several years until he got hurt.

Sure the Bills should emphasize the draft as a means of getting players, and sure there is some 20/20 hindsight which one can say woulda/shoulda/coulda about which player they should have taken. However, I just do not see any kind of reasonable changes which this team would have made to do a better job at drafting players since the faux pas of wasting their #4 on Mike Williams (and even this error saw the #3 choice actually taken in this draft be a disaster and the alternative best reasonable choice at LT McKinnie prove to be an idiot who while not as bad as MW was clearly also a problematic player and no walking revelation.

The problem with the draft for this team right here and right now is that it simply seems incredibly unlikely in a real world where about 50% of 1st round choices are not even gonna be starters after a year that the draft simply holds little likelihood of answering this teams problems to produce the Miami-like from 1-15 to the playoffs results we fans badly want.

The simple fact is the Bills will not need to invest in the draft or any single method as the way to build a winner, but instead have to succeed in using the multiple methods of player acquisition most likely led by the immediate payoffs of a revolutionary FA acquisition who adds value to the players already existing on this team, AND get good and lucky in the draft, AND make another Peters like hit from UDFAs and even make a key trade (where is the next Welker?) to build a winner.

Be as good as we can be in the draft, but a lead focus on this as the way we are gonna make a difference and the other methods of player acquisition are just nice things to do strikes me as a recipe for continued failure for this team.

Pyrite gal, is that you? :devil:

If we can do that, then we also get an award for best draft ever. How many teams hit on all three first day picks and plug all of their major holes?

Fair point. But how many FA signings do we hit on? I think we missed recently on guys like Dockery and Posey.

Look at a team like the Panthers-- great line and great running game, all largely built from the draft.

The thing that I wonder is which position in the draft is known as being most NFL ready for our positions of need. Can a Center come in and be immediately effective, a TE, or a DE. To me it seems as if DE is very difficult to make an immediate impact from college to the pros. Maybe we should try to sign a veteran pass rusher and draft for other needs.

Good thought. I think TE's, like WR's, take a few years to develop too (although Carlson sure looked good this year). We can easily get a TE in free agency who is cheap and an upgrade from Royal. Then we keep Fine and Schouman to see if they can develop.

I don't understand why DE's take time to develop, but now that you say that, I can't think of many rookie DE's of late making immediate impacts (except kearse).

However with this obvious proviso, the draft is simply overrated.

Gotta disagree with you. The reason top teams stay on top is their ability to repeatedly draft well to replace the FAs that get enticed away by the "if we sign this guy who's been a star on a winning team, it'll put us over the top" wanna-bes.

The draft's a crapshoot, but if you manage it well, it's also a cheap labor pool that allows good teams to stay good.

I think Buffalo will be some what active, its only saving grace their is with the fan base. I honestly can see Buffalo trying to land a big fish this off season. I mean do they have any other choice? The last thing they can afford is to have a very slow FA market in 09. Season tickets are going to drop like a rock as is, imagine if they sit there and do nothing in FA.....

I wont be shocked to see Buffalo go after 2nd and 3rd rate FA's like usual......I dont see any signing being bigger then Mitchell last year.