My story..of being a Bills fan

There I was 10 years old sitting in my grandmothers kitchen talking to my aunts new fiance in Maryland in 1989. I wasn't much into sports, but the Redskins were always the talk of the town....So I could have gone along with everyone else and rooted for the hometown team. Instead however, my aunts fiance convinced me to watch a team called the Buffalo Bills.

"Buffalo??" that was my reply. He told me to give them a chance. He said they are the most entertaining team to watch and were going to be amazing in the coming years. So the first game I ever watched the Bills play was Super Bowl 25 against the Giants. What a game to watch! Even though the Bills lost that night, they gained my heart. I had never been to Buffalo or known anyone from there. But at the end of the game, I was in tears after Norwood's missed FG. My mother didn't understand why at the time. She even went as far as saying all sports games are fixed (I wasn't buying it).

But that Bills team for some reason hit a chord with me. It inspired me in ways you can't imagine. In the following years my fandom grew and so did the heartache of losing 3 more Super Bowls. Again though, I was inspired by their never die attitude. Based on those years, whenever I thought about giving up or quitting I reminded myself of the Bills and how they never gave up.

Even after the glory years I maintained my love for the Bills. To me they still represented that never die attitude especially during the Flutie years....But in 2001 after going 3-13 was a huge low point. And today being a no better than a 7-9 team matches that low point for me.

I guess what I'm getting at is...the Bills have always inspired me. Even last year when we were so under maned and the injury/recovery of Kevin Everett I was inspired. However this year I didn't feel that same never die attitude that I am accustomed to seeing from the Bills. The Bills did the unthinkable to me....and that was they gave up.

I think that's what hurt me the most this year. The effort, the guts it takes to win was not there. I'm like the rest of Bills nation right now. On life support. But I will always be a Bills fan......and I hope that next year the Bills can at least resemble the team I grew up rooting for from an effort standpoint.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get it out

-Peter