It's pretty clear what this team needs, right?

I hate the idea of using potential free agents/college players for filling in the blanks because we really have no clue what the team is thinking, what they are willing to spend and who is willing to come here. Instead of doing that, because it usually never works out, let's strictly talk positions.

DE

TE

C

LB

QB (Back-up but not another Hamdan)

Do we all agree that those are the 5 most critical positions? You can debate all day which is more important but there is no argument that we definitely need a legitimate center, tight end, and an effective defensive end opposite of Aaron Schobel would be nice.

Keith Ellison has to go or has to be a back-up, because the loss of Angelo Crowell was noticeable. Mitchell and Poz weren't exactly world beaters either. I have no idea if the kid we drafted (Bowen) will make a difference but I'm not sure banking on a guy who will essentially be a rookie again, coming off a major injury is a good idea. Besides all that, we need some depth back there.

We definitely need a veteran quarterback behind Trent Edwards. He hasn't had that since he's arrived. JP and Trent hardly communicated on the sidelines. Again, I won't think of any names to fill the void, but I'd like the guy to have plenty of experience and be willing to work with Trent.

There are some questions that will affect some of the decisions the team has to make.

Will Chris Kelsay remain on the team? If so, can a defensive captain be a back-up? How likely is it that the Bills even recognize Kelsay as a problem? Will they use the Aaron Schobel injury as an excuse for Kelsay? I think the guy is not performing up to his contract, not even close to it. If he was making a little above the minimum and was a back-up, I'd have no problems with the guy. But the truth is, he's paid like a valuable starter and he's not that. Neither is Ryan Denney.

If/when Jabari Greer leaves (if you read the article with his comments about the situation, it sure seems he's going to make the best business decision for him and his family which would indicate he'll take the most money offered elsewhere) and Terrence McGee's contract running out next year, do we have to bring in an experienced cornerback? Lord knows we've drafted enough of them. We can't keep adding really young cornerbacks without a veteran presence. Or do we just have to count on Ashton Youboty staying healthy?

How will Jason Peters figure into this off-season? If he doesn't get his contract, it's very likely he'll hold out again. Does the team want that distraction again? Did Kirk Chambers play at the end of the season mean anything in this? And if we do re-sign him (Peters), it's undoubtedly going to be one of the largest LT deals in the league which will affect our cap space. I'm not objecting to the idea, I'm just wondering if it will affect any of our other plans if we do extend his contract.

People have really blasted Donte Whitner for not making enough plays but it's not like he's in jeopardy of losing his job. But what about the Free Safety position? Is the trio of Ko Simpson/George Wilson/Jon Corto going to cut it? Maybe that's a priority that I've left off.

I've intentionally not mentioned the WR and DT position. The reason being, we drafted 2 receivers this past year and picked up 2 DT's as well. When you do that, you have to give it some time to either pan out or fail. OF COURSE it would be nice to pick up a really solid #2 wide receiver but with all of our other needs, we have to hope that James Hardy or Steve Johnson can fill that void. Or maybe with a tight end, our wide receiver group suddenly isn't so bad. And I don't think the trio of Stroud, Williams and Spencer Johnson is a problem. McCargo's out of here so they will have to replace him but you can use a low round pick for that.

Let's refrain from the "We could use a real COACH" argument because the team is stuck with what they've got. We can only hope they improve the team around him.

I've intentionally not mentioned the WR and DT position. The reason being, we drafted 2 receivers this past year and picked up 2 DT's as well. When you do that, you have to give it some time to either pan out or fail. OF COURSE it would be nice to pick up a really solid #2 wide receiver but with all of our other needs, we have to hope that James Hardy or Steve Johnson can fill that void. Or maybe with a tight end, our wide receiver group suddenly isn't so bad. And I don't think the trio of Stroud, Williams and Spencer Johnson is a problem. McCargo's out of here so they will have to replace him but you can use a low round pick for that.

And you'd be wrong.

DE

TE

C

LB

QB (Back-up but not another Hamdan)

That's a fair list of what this organization needs, and prioritizes the needs. Not having DE's to put pressure on opposing QB's was glaring. In a C2/T2 defense you must generate pressure with the front four or you'll see DB's hung out to dry.

A reliable TE with the hands to make catches down the seam would exponentially help Trent. We haven't seen that type of player in Buffalo for a long time. Gresham seems to be that guy, but we're a ways off.

Having a center to control large NT's like Jenkins and Wilfork would give Trent more time to throw and a chance to run PA. Fowler and Preston have to be replaced.

Unless Crowell is retained, Buffalo needs a better option than Ellison. Still, guys like Costanzo, Bowen, Buggs, DiGiorgio, Corto, et al are all small options to play SLB. They need a LB with some size, and none of the aforementioned are guys who can take on blockers in the phone booth.

The backup QB was never more obvious than after JP started. They'll need to address that in UFA.

Luxury picks, IMO, would be a G, OT, DT, and SS. But as with any Buffalo off-season there are too many holes and not enough resources to fill them.

That's a fair list of what this organization needs, and prioritizes the needs. Not having DE's to put pressure on opposing QB's was glaring. In a C2/T2 defense you must generate pressure with the front four or you'll see DB's hung out to dry.

A reliable TE with the hands to make catches down the seam would exponentially help Trent. We haven't seen that type of player in Buffalo for a long time. Gresham seems to be that guy, but we're a ways off.

Having a center to control large NT's like Jenkins and Wilfork would give Trent more time to throw and a chance to run PA. Fowler and Preston have to be replaced.

Unless Crowell is retained, Buffalo needs a better option than Ellison. Still, guys like Costanzo, Bowen, Buggs, DiGiorgio, Corto, et al are all small options to play SLB. They need a LB with some size, and none of the aforementioned are guys who can take on blockers in the phone booth.

The backup QB was never more obvious than after JP started. They'll need to address that in UFA.

Luxury picks, IMO, would be a G, OT, DT, and SS. But as with any Buffalo off-season there are too many holes and not enough resources to fill them.

I agree 100%. It's fairly obvious, wouldn't you agree? That being said, will the front office recognize these needs? I just read an article on Buffalobills.com talking about their restricted free agents and here's a quote:

"Keith Ellison stands out as the most prominent of Buffalo’s restricted players. Starting all 16 games at outside linebacker in place of the I-R’d Angelo Crowell, Ellison finished tied for third on the team in solo tackles with 50 and fifth in total tackles with 82 in 2008."

Chris Brown wrote this and I won't put words in his mouth, but just because he was 3rd on the team in solo tackles and 5th in total tackles, doesn't mean he's any good nor should he be a priority to re-sign.

The only positions not in need of an upgrade are RB and CB. Get impact players. Stop over-paying guys like Kelsay, Mitchell, Dockery, and Walker and over-pay for true difference makers. Game changers like Haynesworth make average players better and then you don't have to worry about over-paying for the Kelsay's of the world.

The only positions not in need of an upgrade are RB and CB. Get impact players. Stop over-paying guys like Kelsay, Mitchell, Dockery, and Walker and over-pay for true difference makers. Game changers like Haynesworth make average players better and then you don't have to worry about over-paying for the Kelsay's of the world.

I agree but let's be realistic here, the Bills don't do that. We get the Strouds/Dockerys of the NFL. I can't remember the last time we got an impact player like Haynesworth. I agree with what you have to say though. I'm fairly certain Tennessee's entire defense isn't comprised of pro bowl talent, but rather a few great players who make the rest around them better. Like I said though, I have a hard time believing we'll be going for an impact player.

Sorry to be a downer here but.........The fact Ralphie is 90 and has the team going to the highest bidder upon his death, it appears obvious to me that he will pump the bare minimum into upgrading the team, bring in one or two FAs of moderate value to make it appear that he is doing something in order to dupe the people of WNY into tickets for another season. Ralph is like a slum lord in real estate more interested in counting his pennies than anything else. Keep your expectations low.

I agree but let's be realistic here, the Bills don't do that. We get the Strouds/Dockerys of the NFL. I can't remember the last time we got an impact player like Haynesworth. I agree with what you have to say though. I'm fairly certain Tennessee's entire defense isn't comprised of pro bowl talent, but rather a few great players who make the rest around them better. Like I said though, I have a hard time believing we'll be going for an impact player.

The last one was Spikes. He was a beast before he got injured. Why overpay for mediocrity? There are plenty of street free agents like Bryan Scott or Gaines (TE last year) who are adequate and hungry. Cut Kelsay, Mitchell, Schobel (if he's not 100%), Dockery, Royal and Walker, and give Haynesworth or Peppers significantly more money than anyone else is offering. One Haynesworth is worth those 6 guys and more and could be had for half as much as those guys collectively make.

I would leave out WR as well. A TE is MUCH more important. A great TE automatically makes Trent and the whole offense better. We have enough talent in the WR to be very good. A very good RB duo.

We have had NO production from the TE position in about a decade....probably a big part why the offense has been so poor.

How many Haynesworth-type players switch teams every year in free agency? One? Two? This past year, Asante Samuel was the only player coming off an All-Pro season to switch teams. Haynesworth will be coming off consecutive All-Pro seasons. If he does hit the market, there will be 25 teams after him. Even TKO didn't make a Pro Bowl before he came to Buffalo.

For your original post, as much as I would like to see Kelsay cut, I have a sinking feeling that won't even be discussed at OBD over the off-season.

Edit: Alan Faneca was also signed coming off Pro Bowl seasons, but he is past his prime.

The Team need playmakers, plain and simple. Unfortunately, this team has relegated itself on drafting and signing free agent high character football players for the majority of the last 5 years. It's time to go out and get football players, regardless of character.

If DJ is such a good coach in the owner's eyes, then he can turn their character flaws around. This team needs football players, not choir boys with high motors or underweight, underskilled players at positions that require game changing playmakers.

And yes, you Trent Edwards lovers, this means him too. This team is lacking leadership in the worst way and the QB position is the most obvious place to start. Sure TE has "potential", he is lacking in the basic fundamentals to lead this team when things get tough. He turtles into his shell and pokes his head out to throw groundballs at receivers feet. It's time to get a real leader back there once again.