How stupid is it moving the Pro Bowl to a week before the Super Bowl?

gcb34

I'm sure some of it also has to do with players that aren't on playoff teams. They get over a month off then have to go back for a week.

I'm kinda bumming because we're going to Hawaii in February but will miss the pro bowl by a week.

combine the Hall of Fame Weekend with the Pro bowl

I sure the old timers would love the thought of going to Hawaii

There would be much more interest in the game if you make it an all weekend event and the players except the injured one swould be more likely to come out

1...the old timers do go out to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl as it is

2...how the hell do you combine something when it's in Hawaii but the HoF is in Canton, OH? And no, you can't move the Hall of Fame

Within the next couple of years, I guarantee the winner of the Probowl will get to be the home team at the Superbowl. Try to give some meaning to the game.

How is being the home team in the SB a big deal? It will always be at a neutral site.

Can't really see the rest of the AFC playing b*lls out to get the Pats home team advantage...

lol....hardly! More likely they'll try to tank the game on purpose. That format provides incentive in baseball because it's a mid-season game and the home field advantage may just benefit the guys who are playing in the game.

The Pro Bowl will always be lame for the simple reason that no one wants to get hurt. You can play an NHL all star game with no checking, you can't play a Pro Bowl with no hitting -- it just doesn't work. So given that, the purpose of the game is to highlight the stars and clearly the best way to do that is to tie it into the Super Bowl when everyone is thinking about football. It's a smart move, and who cares if the SB teams don't participate; that's not the point. As we've discussed here, the best players don't get voted to the Pro Bowl anyway.

The Pro Bowl should be replaced by a Food Network show called, "Iron Chef NFL" where the "Pro Bowl" teams are selected by the fans and have three hours to cook a secret ingredient that's selected at random from a list of NFL team mascots, e.g., Buffalo, Dolphin, Falcon, Horse, Lion, etc. Maybe they should have to catch a live one first.

It'd be much better TV, and they could keep it in Hawaii too.

Same here. It's not a game I care much about, but moving it to the week between the Championships and the SB makes sense.

I agree. After the Super Bowl nobody cares very much aboit the "Pro" Bowl.

It's no more than a popularity contest and a place for the players to party, if they even bother to go. Look at our player this year, was he Pro Bowl material last season?

When it started in the 70's they used to give the tickets away free on street corners in Honolulu, just to put some people in the stands. I can't believe its still around.

I see it as a cost savings measure for the NFL. In it's current state, they have two sites that need all the festivities, activities, banquet facilities, etc set up. Now they can lower costs by simply using one site, over more time. No need to break everything down after the SB to get it shipped and set up in Hawaii.

Waaay back when...In early summer, some good college team or upcoming senior all-star team (can't remember) played an NFL team in a game. Gee if they did that now and it was the Bills playing, Ralph would fire Dick by half time and die of a heart attack himself as the Bills lost. :sick:

This link explains a little bit about the NFL Champion vs College All-Stars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_All-Star_Game

I liked the concept but as each year passed the importance of money (injuries) grew... I believe that we will soon see eighteen regular games with two less pre-season games. This plan has the same idea: minimize injuries and maximize profits. It wouldn't surprise me if the owners did away with the Pro Bowl.

The Pro Bowl should be replaced by a Food Network show called, "Iron Chef NFL" where the "Pro Bowl" teams are selected by the fans and have three hours to cook a secret ingredient that's selected at random from a list of NFL team mascots, e.g., Buffalo, Dolphin, Falcon, Horse, Lion, etc. Maybe they should have to catch a live one first.

It'd be much better TV, and they could keep it in Hawaii too.

Buffalo is not a team mascot. Bill is. Whatever that even means.