Why you can't trust players

dave mcbride

"Keeping Coach Jauron shows that at the end of the day this team is trying to win and ultimately go in the right direction towards making the playoffs," tight end Robert Royal said. "Having the same guy fighting with the players who have been here and striving for the same goal, it's a great feeling."

The players believe that overhauling the coaching staff usually means a change of philosophy and personnel. And minus a few exceptions (see Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami), bringing in a new coach doesn't typically lead to instant success.

In fact, teams with new coaches often take a step back before they move forward.

"When you're changing coaches, it's like you are starting all over again," McGee said.

"I don't want to see us go back to a rebuilding mode," Moorman added. "New head coaches tend to want their own players in. Now you're looking at a couple years [before the team is ready to win]. I think our best chance to get in the playoffs is to keep Coach Jauron. I think we need to stay the course and continue to build on what we have here."

Safety Bryan Scott said a big concern among players when a coaching change is made is they don't know what to expect from the new guy.

"There are so many question marks when you bring in a new staff," Scott said. "Obviously some teams that do that get going right away. But I think when you keep a good staff in place, everyone's familiar with the system, and they know the personnel well and what it can do. You don't have a period of time where they have to feel everyone out."

http://www.buffalonews.com/453/story/536501.html

Translated: My contract is not guaranteed, and I don't wanna get cut.