Analyzing the team's play

Adam

Since there are so many whiny threads of people crying, bellyaching and acting like spoiled children, I figured I would start an actual football thread.

QB's: B-

I wasn't too happy when JP Losman was benched last season and I think he will be a successful backup elsewhere in the league- too much talent not to, and to those who compare him to Rob Johnson, RJ never led any fourth quarter comebacks that I can remember. I am pleased with Edwards' development to this point- some may not be, but I like infuriating the instant gratification crowd by telling them that they know nothing. Edwards has a better pocket presence than JP and although his progressions need to be a bit quicker and crisper in the future, I didn't expect him to come this far in 2 seasons.

RB's: B+

Without a doubt the strength of the team- Lynch's speed is underrated and Jackson's power is as well. This unit has carried the offense. Blitz pickup is much better than a year ago, but there is still room for improvement. I think Omon has the potential to develop into a good short yardage back. We still don't have a fullback.

WR's: C

Not a lot of production, but plenty of potential. I see Lee Evans as a lower tier #1 WR or a very good #2. His speed is countered by a lack of a presence on the other side of the field. Only people that don't know much are calling Hardy a bust- he was a rookie and still has plenty of upside with that big frame. Steve Johnson had a very good rookie season as did TE Derek Fine. Where would we bee without Josh Reed- I call him our offensive MVP, he is really Mr. Clutch. Parrish is capable of a nice play now and then but is one of the more dynamic punt returners in the league.

OL: C-

Our line is just good enough to lose. That said- we will put yardage up, but when it comes to getting it done in the red area we are still lacking- and no, I didn't look at the numbers. Our interior line needs a lot of work- our centers aren't worth mentioning and our guards don't live up to their reputation. Dockery is a 50% blocker IMHO- he will make the block half the time. Butler is a pretty solid pass blocker but gets little push. Walker is supersized- his may have been our best lineman for most of the year- but what does that mean? Being the best lineman on a terrible line doesn't make you good. He is soft and can't explode out of his stance, giving the defender free run. Peters holdout caused him to regress terribly. The unit didn't generate running or passing lanes nearly enough.

DL:D+

It turned out that upgrading from Tripplet to Johnson and adding Marcus Stroud didn't magically transform this unit into the fearsome foursome. McCargo was expected to make an impact after making a good impression last year, but saw his season (and trade) short circuited by injury. Aaron Schobel is the only DE we have that doesn't look like a special teamer to me and he in not a dominating force, either.

LB: C-

This unit was hurt by the absence of Crowell. Pozlusny made a bunch of tackles, but seemed to play tentatively after coming back from a season ending injury. I really think he played at a higher level last season. Mitchell isn't Bryce Paup- which is what fans will be measuring all free agent linebackers coming to the team by. He is a smart defender than can rush the passer, play the run and drop into coverage. The rest look like special teamers to me.

DB's: B-

By far the best unit on the defense. McGee bounced back from a subpar year and Greer was solid in coverage. McKelvin started to come on late in the season. Whitner probably should have been put on IR after his initial injury- as was displayed Sunday. Ko Simpson really, really struggled and probably has given way to Scott.

Specials: B+

With a few exceptions, Lindell and Moorman have proven to be elite players. Parrish and McKelvin played well for us. Coverage was solid.

My Prognosis:

We really have to rebuild the lines- Aside from Peters and Stroud, th e only lineman I even want to see back is Schobel. I wouldn't mind picking one running back as our guy and trading the other. Haynesworth and Saturday are out there, Oher, Jerry, Mack, Hardy, Orokpo, and Selvie are there in the draft. I see no option other than rebuildng both lines and seeing how the rest of the team plays with better OL's and DL's.

great post. sweet relief.

a few thoughts on moving forward going off your thoughts:

OL - it seems like our interior line is too big and immobile. Preston/Fowler/Whittle will probably all be gone. We need to bring in "complete" lineman. Guards and centers that can both hold up the bullrush from DT's, while being quick enough to handle stunts and mobile enough to pull so we can run pitch plays and screens - getting our playmakers into space has been a major issue for years and this, I feel, is a big reason why. Walker was our best lineman this year, but he really should lose 30 to 40 pounds both for his own benefit and the team's. Dockery needs to be pushed. He should feel as though he's on a serious hot seat considering the amount of coin he's banking. We should draft at least a guard and center in the first 5 rounds.

DL: I think the primary weakness was pass rush. I thought there was dramatic improvement as far as stopping the run this year. I believe we were one of the league leaders in runs for loss and batted passes. Losing Schobel was huge. Kelsay and Denney are just not pass rushers. I don't hate on them like many on the board, cause I don't think they stink. They just are substandard pass rushers but are very good against the run. Clearly we need a healthy Schobel and at least another capable pass rusher to share time - probably our first rounder (as of now I'm pro Everette Brown). We also need another "big" DT to try and do some of what Stroud does. FA or an early draft should try and address this (possibly Moala if he drops a bit http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingrepo.../Fili-Moala.php ).

WR: I think we need to bring another capable veteran in the mix to add some stability as Hardy and Steve Johnson learn the ropes, even for just a year. When Reed went down we didn't have anyone to rely on. Evans needs to start making plays despite the extra attention he receives.

Great Post.

You should have left the JP thing out though because reality upsets a lot of people on these boards...They don't like it when you tell them not to consider JP, Bledsoe and Johnson in the same category.

As for everything else, solid, accurate analysis.

Great Post.

You should have left the JP thing out though because reality upsets a lot of people on these boards...They don't like it when you tell them not to consider JP, Bledsoe and Johnson in the same category.

Sad thing is, we really don't know what category to put those QB's in- nor do we know what Kelly had left when that terrible line ended his career. If the line isn't good enough, nothing will be good enough.....I think Kelly had 2-3 good years left, but didn't want to finish his career elsewhere

Since there are so many whiny threads of people crying, bellyaching and acting like spoiled children, I figured I would start an actual football thread.

I wasn't too happy when JP Losman was benched last season and I think he will be a successful backup elsewhere in the league- too much talent not to, and to those who compare him to Rob Johnson, RJ never led any fourth quarter comebacks that I can remember. I am pleased with Edwards' development to this point- some may not be, but I like infuriating the instant gratification crowd by telling them that they know nothing. Edwards has a better pocket presence than JP and although his progressions need to be a bit quicker and crisper in the future, I didn't expect him to come this far in 2 seasons.

Without a doubt the strength of the team- Lynch's speed is underrated and Jackson's power is as well. This unit has carried the offense. Blitz pickup is much better than a year ago, but there is still room for improvement. I think Omon has the potential to develop into a good short yardage back. We still don't have a fullback.

Not a lot of production, but plenty of potential. I see Lee Evans as a lower tier #1 WR or a very good #2. His speed is countered by a lack of a presence on the other side of the field. Only people that don't know much are calling Hardy a bust- he was a rookie and still has plenty of upside with that big frame. Steve Johnson had a very good rookie season as did TE Derek Fine. Where would we bee without Josh Reed- I call him our offensive MVP, he is really Mr. Clutch. Parrish is capable of a nice play now and then but is one of the more dynamic punt returners in the league.

Our line is just good enough to lose. That said- we will put yardage up, but when it comes to getting it done in the red area we are still lacking- and no, I didn't look at the numbers. Our interior line needs a lot of work- our centers aren't worth mentioning and our guards don't live up to their reputation. Dockery is a 50% blocker IMHO- he will make the block half the time. Butler is a pretty solid pass blocker but gets little push. Walker is supersized- his may have been our best lineman for most of the year- but what does that mean? Being the best lineman on a terrible line doesn't make you good. He is soft and can't explode out of his stance, giving the defender free run. Peters holdout caused him to regress terribly. The unit didn't generate running or passing lanes nearly enough.

It turned out that upgrading from Tripplet to Johnson and adding Marcus Stroud didn't magically transform this unit into the fearsome foursome. McCargo was expected to make an impact after making a good impression last year, but saw his season (and trade) short circuited by injury. Aaron Schobel is the only DE we have that doesn't look like a special teamer to me and he in not a dominating force, either.

This unit was hurt by the absence of Crowell. Pozlusny made a bunch of tackles, but seemed to play tentatively after coming back from a season ending injury. I really think he played at a higher level last season. Mitchell isn't Bryce Paup- which is what fans will be measuring all free agent linebackers coming to the team by. He is a smart defender than can rush the passer, play the run and drop into coverage. The rest look like special teamers to me.

By far the best unit on the defense. McGee bounced back from a subpar year and Greer was solid in coverage. McKelvin started to come on late in the season. Whitner probably should have been put on IR after his initial injury- as was displayed Sunday. Ko Simpson really, really struggled and probably has given way to Scott.

With a few exceptions, Lindell and Moorman have proven to be elite players. Parrish and McKelvin played well for us. Coverage was solid.

My Prognosis:

We really have to rebuild the lines- Aside from Peters and Stroud, th e only lineman I even want to see back is Schobel. I wouldn't mind picking one running back as our guy and trading the other. Haynesworth and Saturday are out there, Oher, Jerry, Mack, Hardy, Orokpo, and Selvie are there in the draft. I see no option other than rebuildng both lines and seeing how the rest of the team plays with better OL's and DL's.

Rob Johnson had a fourth qtr comback in Kansas City.

Great Post.

What the reality that JP will be a good back-up....wow a backup, good for him. Looks like you have lowered your expectations for him. . Where will we ever find another backup?

P.S he couldn't hold Bledsoe's jockstrap.

My Prognosis:

yeah, i agree with most of this post. but i will say Stroud was a good pick up. If we can get another good DE this off season i think our entire d-line will be much improved.

My Prognosis:

Good post..... Haynesworth would be awesome for sure.

Good post..... Haynesworth would be awesome for sure.

Pairing him with Marcus Stroud sure would be something- something we haven't seen since "The Package" of Ted Washington and Pat Williams, back in the 3-4 days. If McCargo returns to health, he and Johnson give us depth on the inside.

Pairing him with Marcus Stroud sure would be something- something we haven't seen since "The Package" of Ted Washington and Pat Williams, back in the 3-4 days. If McCargo returns to health, he and Johnson give us depth on the inside.

Pat Williams and Ted only played a couple of seasons together, with the base being 3-4 and Pat as the reserve nose and a long shot (undrafted from memory?)? 4-3 became the line in the later of those couple of seasons before Ted moved to Chicago and Pat played alongside notables as Ron Edwards. We've been searching for a 2 DT punch for some time in the base 4-3. Classically had a great combo, then let Ted walk after taking the time to bring along a raw Pat who got time to add bulk. Couldn't get a replacement other than journeymen. Sign a decent replacement in Adams. Let a good one go in Pat who, though old, doesn't have great mileage in his legs yet. Adams got older quicker with those seasons with Kennedy in Seattle and the Goose in Baltimore and has to go and lo-and-behold we've had seasons of searching for a 2 DT combo for years, through draft and trade...Anderson, McCargo, Edwards, Robertson, Sape, Bannan, Williams, Tripplet...

We could have the same discussion about end it appears.

My Prognosis:

First off, thanks for posting something that doesn't consider Jauron.

On QB: I like Edwards, he'll be ok, and I think JP will get a backup shot somewhere, or perhaps a starting job in Hamilton, but certainly, Johnson led a remarkable 4th quarter comeback against a certain Titans team, only to have the special teams coach screw it all up by not kicking out of bounds on a day when the Bills defense was amazing.

RB: Forget Omon. Nothing to see there. Hope we can get Jackson back. Lynch showed something during the second half of the year, when he wasn't leaving games due to mysterious stomach problems. He's going to be a good back.

WR: I don't know what happened to Reed, but you're right: he's not "Mr. Drop" anymore, he's more like "Mr. Clutch." Lee Evans has the skills, but just didn't show as much desire this year as I would have liked. Steve Johnson may or may not become something special, we don't know yet, and it's way too early to write off Hardy.

OL: Run blocking started off ok, and just got better from there. Still too many penalties and too much cluelessness. The pass protection is ok for Trent, horrible for JP, and probably not so good overall.

DL: A D+ is way too generous.

LB: Wow. Just not a great unit. I'm a fan of the 3-4 defense, but there's no way the Bills could pull that off in the next three years. As bad as the D-line is, the Bills need 4 up there to make up for the weaknesses at linebacker.

DB: Your remarks are right on.

ST: Returning and coverage are solid, and Moorman is the team MVP for about the fifth year in a row. I'm still too upset over the Lindell miss in the Cleveland game to discuss the placekicking situation.

One spot that wasn't mentioned--TE: F, or F-, or maybe even G or H. Royal just can't freaking catch, and he's nothing better than an adequate blocker. Schouman and Fine weren't used enough at all, although they appear to be better. I realize that the Bills were counting on Kevin Everett as the future starter at the position, but that excuse doesn't work for me after the end of 2007. There are teams that win without good tight ends, but they are few and far between. The Bills might not need an instant all-pro at the position, but they certainly need a guy who can catch a football.

Pretty good analysis

No point discussing JP anymore, he is gone. Edwards struggled and in my view I didn't see anything from him that would make me believe that he will be anything more then an average to slightly above average QB. He won't be a guy that is going to carry the team on his back and beat teams on his own. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the rest of the team is built up around him. The Bills do need a capable game manager backup for when Trent misses a game or 2. It would have been nice to see some action in a game for Hamdan to see if he might be capable of that.

I would have graded them with an A, but I think after Lynch and Jackson, theres nothing really much there. As for Lynch and jackson, my prediction next season is that they will start to get talks about being one of the best tandems in the league, and the best part about it is that both of them enjoy being in the tandem and are friends.

Not a lot of production, but plenty of potential. I see Lee Evans as a lower tier #1 WR or a very good #2. His speed is countered by a lack of a presence on the other side of the field. Only people that don't know much are calling Hardy a bust- he was a rookie and still has plenty of upside with that big frame. Steve Johnson had a very good rookie season as did TE Derek Fine. Where would we bee without Josh Reed- I call him our offensive MVP, he is really Mr. Clutch. Parrish is capable of a nice play now and then but is one of the more dynamic punt returners in the league

This is a big weakness that needs addressing. Evans is always said to be a #1, but I haven't seen anything from him without JP throwing him a deep pass over that last couple years that would make me say he is a true #1. Maybe it the double teams, maybe its trent not being able to get him the Ball, maybe it the coaching staff not trying to get him the ball more. But he needs to be a bigger part of the offence if he's a true #1. Josh Reed was a bright spot. They need a great pass catching TE desperatly. Weither that could be Fine or not I don't know, but they really need a great TE. Roscoe is decent as a depth guy, but he is someone you keep around as a return guy no matter what. Its too early to really judge Johnson and Hardy, but hopefully they develop into threats for next season.

This offseason, depth at guard and a OC are a must, the rest of the starters are good enough for now and could become a better group if there is an improvement made at OC.

Getting back Schoebel should help the line next year. Another DE would be nice,but its a luxury. The D-line (and the defence) wasn't as bad as every tries to make them out. They kept the team in almost all the games, and with an improved offence that can score more then FG's and 20 points, the Blls can be a playoff team with this defence. Getting some better depth (especially if McCargo won't be back) on the line will be a must though

getting Crowell back would improve the group alot. If not, getting someone in FA to send Ellison back to being a backup would be a must then

unless they lose one of the current DB's on the roster, this unit can be left alone this offseason. If Youbouty can stay healthy and continue to develop, and McKelvin improves, they are set at DB for now.

Still one of the best units i the league. You could see teams kicking away fromthe erturn men because they know the Bills guys are risks to take it back for a score, or atleast give the Bills great Field position

My Prognosis:

I don't think a full rebuild of the line is necessary. On offence, a new OC is a must, otherwise depth guys are what are needed. This offseason the focus really needs to be on the offence. The defence needs to be able to know that they don't have to be perfect cause otherwise the game will be lost. They need to know that if they do give up some points, the offence has the ability to get it back. That will allow them to be more aggressive and take more chances.

there has been alot of overreacting recenty about the team. They aren't as bad as everyone wants to believe, and are not in the same category as Detroit. theres still alot of young potential on this team, but now they really need to step it up as patients are paper thin right now.

First off, thanks for posting something that doesn't consider Jauron.

On QB: I like Edwards, he'll be ok, and I think JP will get a backup shot somewhere, or perhaps a starting job in Hamilton, but certainly, Johnson led a remarkable 4th quarter comeback against a certain Titans team, only to have the special teams coach screw it all up by not kicking out of bounds on a day when the Bills defense was amazing.

RB: Forget Omon. Nothing to see there. Hope we can get Jackson back. Lynch showed something during the second half of the year, when he wasn't leaving games due to mysterious stomach problems. He's going to be a good back.

WR: I don't know what happened to Reed, but you're right: he's not "Mr. Drop" anymore, he's more like "Mr. Clutch." Lee Evans has the skills, but just didn't show as much desire this year as I would have liked. Steve Johnson may or may not become something special, we don't know yet, and it's way too early to write off Hardy.

OL: Run blocking started off ok, and just got better from there. Still too many penalties and too much cluelessness. The pass protection is ok for Trent, horrible for JP, and probably not so good overall.

DL: A D+ is way too generous.

LB: Wow. Just not a great unit. I'm a fan of the 3-4 defense, but there's no way the Bills could pull that off in the next three years. As bad as the D-line is, the Bills need 4 up there to make up for the weaknesses at linebacker.

DB: Your remarks are right on.

ST: Returning and coverage are solid, and Moorman is the team MVP for about the fifth year in a row. I'm still too upset over the Lindell miss in the Cleveland game to discuss the placekicking situation.

One spot that wasn't mentioned--TE: F, or F-, or maybe even G or H. Royal just can't freaking catch, and he's nothing better than an adequate blocker. Schouman and Fine weren't used enough at all, although they appear to be better. I realize that the Bills were counting on Kevin Everett as the future starter at the position, but that excuse doesn't work for me after the end of 2007. There are teams that win without good tight ends, but they are few and far between. The Bills might not need an instant all-pro at the position, but they certainly need a guy who can catch a football.

No doubt, rebuilding/strengthening the lines will do wonders. That's how Parcells builds a team, from the trenches outward. Lynch/Jackson could have doubled their yardage with a more athletic o-line. Not enough holes, and no containment on sweeps.

Pretty good analysis

This offseason, depth at guard and a OC are a must, the rest of the starters are good enough for now and could become a better group if there is an improvement made at OC.

Getting back Schoebel should help the line next year. Another DE would be nice,but its a luxury. The D-line (and the defence) wasn't as bad as every tries to make them out. They kept the team in almost all the games, and with an improved offence that can score more then FG's and 20 points, the Blls can be a playoff team with this defence. Getting some better depth (especially if McCargo won't be back) on the line will be a must though

This is the problem with finishing close to .500- it is hard to make serious changes. As I said- our lines are just good enough to lose. Our coordinators that have gone elsewhere have done much better. Schobel is a complementary DE at best. Our offensive line will get us yardage, but not wins- how many OC's have we gone through, getting the same result year after year. I put McCargo where he was at this point last year- hoping his lack of effectiveness was caused by injury

Unless we rebuild both lines, nothing will change.