We've been through this before in the 1980s

Albany,n.y.

I know this isn't much help after hearing Jauron is back for 2009, but Ralph did the same stuff over 20 years ago. When the Bills went 2-14 in 1984, Ralph kept Kay Stephenson & fired him during the 1985 season. When the Bills finished 2-14 in 1985 & it was obvious that new coach Hank Bullough was in way over his head, Ralph kept him for 1986 & fired him in the 1986 season. When he hired Marv Levy, a lot of the pieces were already in place for the upcoming championship runs.

I think Dick Jauron is on a very short leash. Ralph sees a lot of head coaching vacancies elsewhere and really doesn't want to compete against all these other teams for a new head coach right now. He knows he doesn't have much to offer, since the Bills have a really tough schedule next year and need to upgrade talent in order to get any decent coach to come to Buffalo.

So, here's what I see happening: Ralph kept Jauron. He keeps upgrading the talent this offseason & has a mildly competitive team, albeit one with a real tough schedule. If Jauron is something like 1-6, he fires him, makes a guy like April interim coach & gives him a tryout. If the team suddenly improves, April is kept for 2010. If Jauron doesn't bomb in the first half of 2009, he stays. So now say he gets us to 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8, Ralph says it's not good enough and fires him at the end of 2009 and looks for a real coach in 2010 when there aren't all these openings on other teams.

I still think this team is heading in the right direction, it's just going to take a little longer. Now 2009 might be a sacrifice season & I know a lot of you don't accept that, but a cold hard look at the schedule makes success in 2009 difficult no matter who the coach is. Since we're likely bringing in a new guy in 2010, he will need to know the answer to several questions including if Trent Edwards is the answer. Jauron is being sacrificed in order to answer the questions, at least the new guy will know how much he needs to bring this team up to snuff. If Edwards is the answer (and I believe he is), the new guy is in a similar position that Levy was in with a young Kelly in 1986. If Edwards isn't the answer then at least the new guy will know he needs to upgrade at QB immediately when he comes in and can do what Jauron can't do in 2009.

I'm not going to panic, cancel my tickets or go picketing the stadium. If Dick pulls off a miracle & does well next year, meaning deep into the playoffs, he stays, otherwise we all get our wish for him to go by this time next year. It's only one year at most folks, so let's all chill out a little today.

Unfortunately nearly all of that hope is predicated on the assumption that Edwards will be some sort of a savior.

I share most of your sentiments, yet I tend to differ on the opinion of our quarterback.

Then with our schedule, we'll be able to get a real good one in the draft since if Edwards bombs, we're 2-14.

I don't think old Ralphie boy remembers what he had for dinner, much less what happened in 1985. I have resigned myself to another mediocre year in 2009. because you know he will never make a coaching change in mid season. So we are stuck with dickless jauron for at least the 2009 season.

I don't think old Ralphie boy remembers what he had for dinner, much less what happened in 1985. I have resigned myself to another mediocre year in 2009. because you know he will never make a coaching change in mid season. So we are stuck with dickless jauron for at least the 2009 season.

As Harv just pointed out, he did precisely that twice in two seasons.

As Harv just pointed out, he did precisely that twice in two seasons.

I would not rule out an overhaul mid-season if it gets ugly. I think our team, with any mild upgrades, will still be too competitive for us to see jauron leave midyear.

The only likely outcome is a 6, 7, 8, or 9 win season. I can't see any other possibility really.