Pull down stairs in garage

BuffaloBud

Commented to a co-worker that I put in some pull down stairs in my garage to have access to the unused space above the garage for general light-weight storage. The one that I put up is all wood. He asked if there was a fire barrier or fire resistant. It's not.

I ask the almight knowers of all things - Is this a requirement? Am I going to get dinged when I try to sell the house? Workarounds?

Commented to a co-worker that I put in some pull down stairs in my garage to have access to the unused space above the garage for general light-weight storage. The one that I put up is all wood. He asked if there was a fire barrier or fire resistant. It's not.

I ask the almight knowers of all things - Is this a requirement? Am I going to get dinged when I try to sell the house? Workarounds?

Check your local building codes.

Also, is this an attached garage? If it's not, who cares.

Does your garage - before this project - have bare/exposed ceiling wood?

Nope - drywall on walls and ceiling.

I'd guess there is code mandating that or some other fire-resistant material. Garages can contain flammables, and vehicles occasionally catch on fire.

Wood ceilings are sometimes used in living spaces - I guess the idea being you don't store gasoline in your basement den or your living room.

How about obtaining some aluminum u-channeling to make a frame around a piece of drywall, affix hinges and a latch, and then drop it down when you want access to the stairs?

I'd guess there is code mandating that or some other fire-resistant material. Garages can contain flammables, and vehicles occasionally catch on fire.

Wood ceilings are sometimes used in living spaces - I guess the idea being you don't store gasoline in your basement den or your living room.

How about obtaining some aluminum u-channeling to make a frame around a piece of drywall, affix hinges and a latch, and then drop it down when you want access to the stairs?

That's a possibilty - wouldn't be too hard to do. I'll have to check around to find out the code.

That was one solution that came up when I was doing some googling. The other was to do the same thing on the attic side. Either way, they all suggested 5/8" drywall.

But, in thinking, why do you not have to do the same when installed in the living section of the home?

I think Cincy answered it in post #5:

I guess the idea being you don't store gasoline in your basement den or your living room.

I guess with no barrier it would be like a "wick on a candle" leading up to the wood structure???

Oh... And on the basement... Don't store volatile stuff down there for sure... Fumes will lay low in the pit and get possibly get ignited by say a hot water tank pilot light.

I installed one a few years back and when I sold the house, I had to seal it (fire barrier) in order to sell.

It may be a regional law/requirement though