Bills Offseason Plans

Latason

It looks like we're going to make the decision on Jauron tomorrow. Despite some of his bonehead moves, I don't think we necessarily have to get rid of him. The players love him and his teams are always hard-working and ready to play. He is not the best tactician, but I think an upgrade at defensive coordinator and a few defensive playmakers could make up for that. The only reason I would want to get rid of him is because I think there are some really good coaching prospects out there, namely Giants Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. I think he's going to be an unbelievable coach in the John Fox mold, and I think he's worth getting rid of Jauron for. Also there's Bill Cowher, Jason Garrett, Jim Johnson, and that D Line coach from Carolina. I think it's a really interesting group, and after the early successes of new coaches like Mike Smith, Tony Sporano, John Harbaugh and Mike Singletary, it might be worth a shot. Also, a lot of coaches will be demoted to defensive coordinator again so that's worth looking out for. Guys like Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, Eric Mangini could be nice fits.

As far as the Angelo Crowell thing goes, that is really exciting. I think he could be the perfect type of versatile player that can either be our playmaker at outside linebacker or can stay in the middle and move Poz to the outside, where he will have less responsibility and more freedom to make plays. I always loved Angelo and knew how big it was when he announced he was out for the year before week 1. Plus he would come cheap, and could give us more options to take the best guy available for the draft. It'd be nice to see us make a run at a big-time free agent like Julius Peppers, but who knows how likely that is.

As it stands right now, we are sitting at the 11 pick, and there are 4 guys that I love, so I'm really hoping 1 of them can drop to us. In order they are: 1) Defensive End Bryan Orakpo, from Texas, 2) Linebacker Aaron Curry, from Wake Forest, 3) Defensive End Michael Johnson, from Georgia Tech, 4) Linebacker Ray Malauga, from USC. With 2 big time quarterbacks in Matthew Stafford and Sam Bradford, 2 big time offensive tackles in Andre Smith and Michael Oher, a big time wide receiver in Michael Crabtree, and a premiere running back in Beanie Wells, it looks like it might be very likely for a big time defensive playmaker to drop to us. Who knows though, its still real early.

I think we all know that re-signing Freddie is a MUST. Between Terrence McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Ashton Youboty, and Reggie Corner, I think our cornerbacks can stack up with any group in the entire NFL, so it doesn't seem likely that Jabari will be back, although I really loved the way he was playing. Our safeties are stellar, our offensive line really showed great improvement through the year, and I am really starting to like our young tight end unit (except for Royal). That said, our 3 biggest needs are the athletic defensive end, playmaking linebacker, and a game breaking wide receiver. While the game breaking wide receiver is not a need, it could be a luxury given a favorable market. Here are some of the names that I expect to be available: Plaxico Burress, Braylon Edwards (hhttp://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Cleveland-you-have-not-filled-Braylon-Edwards-w?urn=nfl,130132), Anquan Boldin, and TJ Houshmandzadeh and/or Chad Johnson (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/05/houshmandzadeh-believes-either-he-or-chad-johnson-will-be-gone-s/). I know we just spent a ton on Lee, but if we can get one of these guys relatively cheap, that would be a very impressive WR corps to go with Lee, Josh Reed in the slot, Roscoe for the big plays, and the promising Steve Johnson, while Hardy can still have more time to develop and be used in red zone situations.

Your thoughts?

"his teams are hard-working and ready to play."

I vehemently disagree on this point. I think that outside of the Seahawks game, the Bills looked totally unprepared for anything that their opponent's did offensively or defensively.

As much as I am on the fence for consistency, this lack of preparation and the bad game day decisions over-ride any positives on Dick. He needs to go 'cuz he can't compete in his own division.