1974: 7-7

1975: 7-7

1976: 6-8

1977: 6-8

He then went to the Cincinnati Bengals from 1978-1980. Their records were:

1978: 4-12

1979: 4-12

1980: 6-10

The total record for his teams during his playing days: 46-71-1.

The year after Jauron's career ended (1981) the Bengals went 12-4 and won the AFC.

The man does not know how to win!

Dick Jauron played from 1973-1977 with the Detroit Lions. Their records were:

1973: 6-7-1

1974: 7-7

1975: 7-7

1976: 6-8

1977: 6-8

He then went to the Cincinnati Bengals from 1978-1980. Their records were:

1978: 4-12

1979: 4-12

1980: 6-10

The total record for his teams during his playing days: 46-71-1.

The year after Jauron's career ended (1981) the Bengals went 12-4 and won the AFC.

In all fairness (and I don't care for DJ the HC) he wasn't a bad player. His rookie season he made the Pro Bowl team, and had 25 career INT's with 2 TD returns.

That, as a converted college RB at Yale and probably undersized FS in the pros. Those Detroit and Cincinnati teams would not have been good with him.

My point was that the guy never played on a winning team & never learned how to win. Now he may not have been responsible for the W-L records himself, but he may have learned to accept losing during his playing days & he obviously accepts losing as a coach. Look back at the guys who played during our Super Bowl years-they HATED to lose. For Dick Jauron, losing is a way of life in the NFL. He doesn't seem to mind it that much and nobody can ever say Dick Jauron hates to lose.

Defensive backs' win-loss records prove nothing.

His OP was obvious what he was trying to get across. If you never won anything you can't know how to win. In other words you are a loser period!!! I think its a great piece of data to back up this dumb ass of a coach.

This Dick went to Yale and he's so freakin' intelligent. Sure he might be book smart but where does that get you?

You ever try to have a conversation with an intellect? They don't even know how to respond to a simple "How you doing?"

No social skills and are so literal that it is sickening.

Thanks for the research, good stuff

This Dick went to Yale and he's so freakin' intelligent. Sure he might be book smart but where does that get you?

You ever try to have a conversation with an intellect? They don't even know how to respond to a simple "How you doing?"

Marv Levy seemed to do okay despite his Harvard tenure. And of course, Bill Belichick spent four years at Wesleyan.

My point was that the guy never played on a winning team & never learned how to win. Now he may not have been responsible for the W-L records himself, but he may have learned to accept losing during his playing days & he obviously accepts losing as a coach. Look back at the guys who played during our Super Bowl years-they HATED to lose. For Dick Jauron, losing is a way of life in the NFL. He doesn't seem to mind it that much and nobody can ever say Dick Jauron hates to lose.

Do you not have anything better to do other than come up with ridiculous crap?

Do you not have anything better to do other than come up with ridiculous crap?

I have to admit that was a pretty stupid post. But, this is even dumber:

His OP was obvious what he was trying to get across. If you never won anything you can't know how to win. In other words you are a loser period!!! I think its a great piece of data to back up this dumb ass of a coach.

Yes, intelligence is simply terrible. Long live the moron!

One thing that hasn't changed in 30 years is how poor the Cincinnati and Detroit franchises have been. To pin their entire success or failure on one DB is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on TSW. And I've read some real doozies.

DJ isn't a winning HC, but I'll say this for the man: he played 8 seasons in the National Football League. That's more than just about anyone on this entire board. He also was a standout RB in the Ivy League, while having a 4.0 throughout college.

Go ahead and dislike him for being an underachiever as a HC. But don't discount his entire NFL career because he played for bad teams.

Ernie Banks played for some bad Cubs teams during his career. Does that make him a loser? Ted Williams made it to one World Series, but he's widely considered the best hitter in MLB history. And that's coming from a Yankees fan.

Dick Butkus played on some poor Chicago teams from 65-73, as did Gale Sayers. So your point is a pathetic one at best.

Not sure why I'm running to the defense of a bad HC, but it's only fair to show how hollow your opinion is.

One thing that hasn't changed in 30 years is how poor the Cincinnati and Detroit franchises have been. To pin their entire success or failure on one DB is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on TSW. And I've read some real doozies.

DJ isn't a winning HC, but I'll say this for the man: he played 8 seasons in the National Football League. That's more than just about anyone on this entire board. He also was a standout RB in the Ivy League, while having a 4.0 throughout college.

Go ahead and dislike him for being an underachiever as a HC. But don't discount his entire NFL career because he played for bad teams.

Ernie Banks played for some bad Cubs teams during his career. Does that make him a loser? Ted Williams made it to one World Series, but he's widely considered the best hitter in MLB history. And that's coming from a Yankees fan.

Dick Butkus played on some poor Chicago teams from 65-73, as did Gale Sayers. So your point is a pathetic one at best.

Not sure why I'm running to the defense of a bad HC, but it's only fair to show how hollow your opinion is.

Great post.

Actually, this ranks up there as one of the worst straw man arguments I've read on TSW. And I've read some real doozies.

The point is clear - Dick Jauron has not been a part of successful organizations throughout his NFL career as a coach nor as a player. Whether that is meaningful or not is up for debate. No where did I read the OP pinning "their entire success or failure on one DB". Shooting down a ridiculous argument that no one made isn't terribly compelling.

<..>

Thought the point/opinion was not to pin failure on one DB?

Thought the point/opinion was:

-"success gets to be a habit, just like anything else a fellow keeps on doing"

-so does acceptance of mediocrity

If the man never played on a winning team, or coached consistent winners, does he know how to succeed the NFL?

If he does, where and how did he learn it?

Seem like solid fair questions from here

But remember I drive a '98 Honda

Actually, this ranks up there as one of the worst straw man arguments I've read on TSW. And I've read some real doozies.

The point is clear - Dick Jauron has not been a part of successful organizations throughout his NFL career as a coach nor as a player. Whether that is meaningful or not is up for debate. No where did I read the OP pinning "their entire success or failure on one DB". Shooting down a ridiculous argument that no one made isn't terribly compelling.

His initial post does seem as though he is associating Jauron's presence on the team with the team losing. He clears it up later and says that is not what he means.

While I take him at his word, what is the reason for this (in the initial post)?

Jauron was part of Coughlin's original staff in Jacksonville and they posted 3 winning seasons out of 4, and an AFC Championship game, down there before he went to the Bears after the Dave McGinnis clusterduck. That and the magical anomalous 13-3 season in Chicago seem to be his high points.

Maybe he truly is a victim of venomous fate. :sick:

He had fabulous success in HS, where his teams were state champions, largely because Dick was on the team. He was the best athlete in the state. And he knows how to win. You could have put Jim Brown on those Detroit and Cincy teams and they would have been losers.

1966 7 - 2

1967 9 - 0 state champs

1968 9 - 0 state champs

1968 basketball state champs with Jauron tipping in a shot to win at the buzzer in the championship game.

He knows how to win.

Your argument comes to nothing. If he didn't know how to win, how come he has won in the one year when his Bears got pretty good QB play. Won pretty big. The guy has been stuck with poor to mediocre QB play throughout his tenure as a coach.

I'm not a huge Jauron fan, but his record as a player has nothing to do with anything. Your argument actually amounts to "I hate Jauron and will say anything, and I mean anything, to express my hatred."