Pete Carroll

H2o

Have a friend who's uncle works security at the Ralph. Said he overheard that Ralph is going to be contacting Pete Carroll after the Rose Bowl game on January 1 about the coaching job that WILL be vacant very soon. In all seriousness, I don't think that Ralph could lure him away unless he gave him alot of power in the organization and I don't see Wilson giving up the dough that would get him to accept the job either.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just say no to Pete Carroll. Buffalo isn't Southern Cal and they can't recruit players.

Bingo. Carroll is in a great situation out there. Unless the NCAA is going to come down hard on USC for the Reggie Bush scandal I don't see why Pete would want to leave Southern California.

IMO, Pete Carroll LOVES his current position too much to go anywhere. He's also very active in the community fighting gang violence. He's trying to make a difference. I don't see him leaving USC for a long time.

Pete Carroll is going to leave SoCal for a place that gets hurricanes with snow?

PTR

Bingo. Carroll is in a great situation out there. Unless the NCAA is going to come down hard on USC for the Reggie Bush scandal I don't see why Pete would want to leave Southern California.

I think the guy still has the itch to coach the pro game. Great situation in southern California, for sure. But to have a BCS title and get a Super Bowl ring possibly? The Super Bowl is the top of the heap. You can't tell me the guy wouldn't want to give it another shot.

Pete Carroll is going to leave SoCal for a place that gets hurricanes with snow?

PTR

EXACTLY.

He makes 4 mil a year at one of the best colleges in the country in the best climate in the county (I live here, I know). And he is going to take a pay cut to coach a sh------- team in terrible weather in a small market? Get real.

That's a good point, but not what I was getting at. I meant that being able to recruit kids to play in lovely SoCal is a far cry from drafting kids and trying to sign FA's at a disadvantage in Buffalo.

I think the guy still has the itch to coach the pro game. Great situation in southern California, for sure. But to have a BCS title and get a Super Bowl ring possibly? The Super Bowl is the top of the heap. You can't tell me the guy wouldn't want to give it another shot.

Why would he? For a Super Bowl ring? Please. He has national championships. I think it's much harder to win a national championship than it is a Super Bowl.

Have a friend who's uncle works security at the Ralph. Said he overheard that Ralph is going to be contacting Pete Carroll after the Rose Bowl game on January 1 about the coaching job that WILL be vacant very soon. In all seriousness, I don't think that Ralph could lure him away unless he gave him alot of power in the organization and I don't see Wilson giving up the dough that would get him to accept the job either.

Pete Carroll is not an NFL coach. He is a tremendous college coach who is able to recruit high school kids like no other. That isn't a knock on him at all. His skill set just makes him much much more effective at the college level than it does the pro level. Same as Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, and Steve Spurrier. All very good college coaches who didn't fare so well in the NFL. Doesn't mean they are bad coaches at all. Just means their skill set makes them better suited for the college game. There are some good NFL coaches who probably would not be as good in college as they are in the NFL. In the NFL you go out and draft the players for your team and they have no choice but to sign. In college, you try and influence the kids to sign with you, but in the end all the power lies with the high school players. The day Pete Carroll stops being able to recruit all-star high schoolers is the day USC starts falling. His ability to recruit excellent talent is responsible for his success as much as anything, and in the NFL you don't do any recruiting, so his, like most great college coaches best trait, is rendered moot...

For the record, Caroll didn't seem interested to take the ATL job last year. At the time it wasn't a marquee position, but Carroll gets about 25 first round picks every year recruiting. I'm not sure he'd ever leave SoCal for any NFL job.

why would he? He is basically guaranteed to make 4 or 5 million a year for as long as he wants, the NCAA has regulations for how many hours the students can practice, thereby limiting the amount of work the coaches do, he is a celebrity on campus....why trade that in for a job paying you a little more, trading in bankers hours for working 16-18 hours a day or more, and being the target of ridicule every time you make a questionable call in a game, regardless of if it was the right call or not...