Measuring a Defense

jahbonas

In an attempt to clarify the needs of this team (offense or defense) here are some key indicators to point to:

A typical winning formula as shown by NY Giants is sacks and Rushing yards

Defense as measured by Sacks Interceptions Forced fumbles & Rush yrds allowed

Sacks - rank 28th

Interceptions - rank 28th

Forced Fumbles - rank 19th

Rush yrds allowed - rank 19th

No mistake last year that the only defense to stop Patriots was the one with the most sacks NY Giants

On Offense: interesting silver lining since they replaced 290lb Fowler with 315lb Duke Preston.

I have not been a huge fan of preston and felt all along Off center as crying need - however do we have to stop a bit on that when looking at these last 6 games:

Last 6 games

186 yards 4.9 avg

171 yards 4.5 avg

156 yards 6.2 avg

84 yards 4.7 avg

187 yards 5.8 avg

87 yards 3.3 avg

Typically offenses that can generate those running yards with avergaes above 4.5 are very healthy. Any type of improved QB play will take advantage over that ability to run. Edwards being still young and learning should make that natural improvement providing this team with an offense that at least would be sufficient to compete.

The defense however - is borderline disgusting....the front 7 28th in sacks and 28th in forcing interceptions says it all.

Our top offseason priority should be defensive front 7.

We also should consider a new defensive philosophy to either a 3-4 or stay at a 4-3 but scrap this philosophy of trying to play with smaller/quicker defensive linemen.

Biggest attraction to a 3-4?

It offers the best chance to generate a pass rush at low budget prices.

People complain about Kelsays contract...but frankly others would have paid him that $$$....thats the price of 4-3 defensive ends with promise. In contrast look at Joey Porter....outside LB passrushers in a 3-4 are often 'tweeners' who can only demand so much on an open market.

Passrushers required by a 3-4 are athletic tweeners who are 6'3 250lb range....those type athletes are a 'dime a dozen' compared to the athlete who can generate a pass rush and stop the run in a standard 4-3 DE alignment...those guys are 6'5 290lb types which are far more rare and far more expensive.

When was the last time we made the playoffs using a 4-3 defense ? 1974.....get rid of it....which ofcourse was a year when the defense sucked and we rode the coat tails of OJ's ground game....

The stats I indicated above happen to reflect exactly what this writer writes in PFW regarding bills offense/defense...

Buffalo

Dec. 25, 2008 By Matt Sohn Profootball Weekly

Bills offense in better shape than defense entering offseason

In football, only so much can be gleaned from numbers. Case in point, the Bills. Buffalo ranks 25th in the NFL in offense, averaging 307.1 yards per game, and its defense ranks 20th giving up 331.7 yards a contest. Yet the obvious need to upgrade player personnel this offseason won't be zoned in on the offensive side. With the exception of tight end, the Bills are mostly pleased with the performers on that side of the ball, and remain confident that their current group has the ability to take the offense to the next level. The defense, the statistically superior unit, can expect to see a good amount of changes. Much of the front seven has produced subpar play in a season that fell apart at the seams following a 5-1 start, with only MLB Paul Posluszny and DT Marcus Stroud earning high marks for their work

In an attempt to clarify the needs of this team (offense or defense) here are some key indicators to point to:

A typical winning formula as shown by NY Giants is sacks and Rushing yards

Defense as measured by Sacks Interceptions Forced fumbles & Rush yrds allowed

Sacks - rank 28th

Interceptions - rank 28th

Forced Fumbles - rank 19th

Rush yrds allowed - rank 19th

No mistake last year that the only defense to stop Patriots was the one with the most sacks NY Giants

On Offense: interesting silver lining since they replaced 290lb Fowler with 315lb Duke Preston.

I have not been a huge fan of preston and felt all along Off center as crying need - however do we have to stop a bit on that when looking at these last 6 games:

Last 6 games

186 yards 4.9 avg

171 yards 4.5 avg

156 yards 6.2 avg

84 yards 4.7 avg

187 yards 5.8 avg

87 yards 3.3 avg

Typically offenses that can generate those running yards with avergaes above 4.5 are very healthy. Any type of improved QB play will take advantage over that ability to run. Edwards being still young and learning should make that natural improvement providing this team with an offense that at least would be sufficient to compete.

The defense however - is borderline disgusting....the front 7 28th in sacks and 28th in forcing interceptions says it all.

Our top offseason priority should be defensive front 7.

We also should consider a new defensive philosophy to either a 3-4 or stay at a 4-3 but scrap this philosophy of trying to play with smaller/quicker defensive linemen.

Biggest attraction to a 3-4?

It offers the best chance to generate a pass rush at low budget prices.

People complain about Kelsays contract...but frankly others would have paid him that $$$....thats the price of 4-3 defensive ends with promise. In contrast look at Joey Porter....outside LB passrushers in a 3-4 are often 'tweeners' who can only demand so much on an open market.

Passrushers required by a 3-4 are athletic tweeners who are 6'3 250lb range....those type athletes are a 'dime a dozen' compared to the athlete who can generate a pass rush and stop the run in a standard 4-3 DE alignment...those guys are 6'5 290lb types which are far more rare and far more expensive.

When was the last time we made the playoffs using a 4-3 defense ? 1974.....get rid of it....which ofcourse was a year when the defense sucked and we rode the coat tails of OJ's ground game....

I can't see Kelsay or Denney back next year. Haven't we all seen enough?

It only matters about points

Thats not true at all...and main reason why I posted this.

Go back to the days of our high powered no huddle offense.....if my defense allowed an opposing team to drive the ball

80 yards and eat up 12 minutes of clock......the opposing offense did their job (and my defense did not) because they controlled the ball and kept my high powered offense off the field.

Thats not true at all...and main reason why I posted this.

Go back to the days of our high powered no huddle offense.....if my defense allowed an opposing team to drive the ball

80 yards and eat up 12 minutes of clock......the opposing offense did their job (and my defense did not) because they controlled the ball and kept my high powered offense off the field.

stop living in the past. the kelly era was a once in a lifetime event... superior talent playing in an overall bad conference during that period of time.. a one timer that cannot be repeated

we need to get rid of the tampa 2 defense once and for all, I don't what personnel we have. Either that or get rid of Poz and other attack-type guys who are nothing in that defense

stop living in the past. the kelly era was a once in a lifetime event... superior talent playing in an overall bad conference during that period of time.. a one timer that cannot be repeated

we need to get rid of the tampa 2 defense once and for all, I don't what personnel we have. Either that or get rid of Poz and other attack-type guys who are nothing in that defense

Nobody is living in the past...I am giving an example of why measuring defense by points alone is not accurate.......opposing offenses will go into conservative mode if they get a 2 score lead on a team with a lousy offense.....so they virtually dont try to make mistakes or score points....so they win a low scoring game.....

That has been the Bills of recent years....Bills points allowed look ok because we never get into shootouts where we have opposing teams trying to light it up all 60 mins....